Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Muslims Celebare Basant Festival?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Muslims Celebare Basant Festival?

Assalam-o-Alikum everyone,

A week or so ago, i hear that festival of BasanT was celebrated in various
    cities of Pakistan, alongwith Lahore. Now what is BasanT ?. From what I heard and
    saw on the tube, suggests people from all
    walks of life, dressing-up and flying-up
    kites, setting-up and cutting-up peychaas
    and sitting down and stacking up plates
    of food, etc.
    All this up and down is not going over well
    with some strains of Maulanas here. So the MMA (Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal,The MMA is an alliance composed of 4 powerful religious parties: Jamaat Islami (JI), Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (F), Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (S), and Jamiat Ulema-e-Pakistan (N)) has officially given the FaTwah to
    ban BasanT. Ofcourse, the jiyalaey went
    ahead and celebrated it anyway.
    The Qs. remains...according to the best int-
    erpretation of Quran and Hadith...would some-
    thing like this be allowed ?. Could it?

So what do you think guys?

Now, If somebody will ask me the same question?what will be my response to it?

My answer is "Muslims should remember that while they are wasting their bullets on “Basant”, their fellow Muslims were dying in Palestine and Kashmir"

lets flash back on my response as well give me your opinions too

Thanx

Re: Should Muslims Celebare Basant Festival?

As far as I can make out, the anti-Basant argument is that it was originally a Hindu celebration, and that the Quran and Sunnah forbid us from celebrating other religions' occasions.

Those who go out and celebrate it argue that their intentions have nothing to do with Hinduism, that they do what they do because it is just the day every year when everyone decided to have fun in that way.

Frankly on the basis of the annual deaths during basant from basant-related activities, it should get no support from the government at all. Banning it would have questionable benefit.... how would a ban be enforced when so many people celebrate it every year? You would have to put so many policemen on basant-enforcing for several that other areas of policing would collapse.

PS: Who uses bullets on Basant?
    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
    Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT
      PS: Who uses bullets on Basant?
      Hawa-ii firing to celebrate bo-kaataa of the opponent. Although its debatable whether bullets saved in basant in Lahore will make their way to save our brothers and sisters in Palestine and elsewhere.

Re: Basant, the religious arguments to oppose basant are quite flimsy and in many instances factually exagerrated and incorrect. Its more a social issue and a source of several deaths every year. I doubt anyone supports deaths of innocent people, especially kids, in the name of fun. It probably requires common sense rules, and involvement of community leaders to enforce the rules. It can't be/shouldn't be enforced solely through police action. Its a poor man's sport, and involving police will just make life even more miserable for poor people (the rich, as usual, will go scot-free).
      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

I think it should be celebrated and we should also include other festivals to portray ourselves as forward and an all inclusive nation...Islam Wislam can take a rest...

We should, among other celebrations, also celebrate Holi, Deewali, Halloween, Valentine's day, Cinco de Mayo, Mardi Gras e.t.c.

These celebrations have nothing unIslamic about them and we should be allowed to celebrate them despite what religious scholars say...They are ignorant anyways...
        Focus not on who you are but what you do...
        ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Cinco de Mayo? Except this 5th of May stuff, I think pretty much all are "celebrated" in Pakistan already. Some openly, some in closed parties. Ship a few Mexicans, and we shall have Cinco de Mayo too. By the way, remember that Mar 17 is St Patrick's day. Wear something green, else you WILL get pinched. :-D
          "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

basant = spring = bahaar

kite flying = a sport

not neccesarily anything to do with religion

Comment

It'd be interesting to find out the history of basant prior to ruling it out as something forbidden or accepting it as something permissible.

Comment

This is what i posted in other basant thread.

Let ,e explain these terms
                Basant
                Wo mela Jo buzurgon kay mazar aur deotaon kay Asthanao per phool charha ker kertay hain-
                Hindu iss din apnay autaroon per charhanay kay liye phool latay hain iss liye iss melay ko phoolon kay rang say munasbat daitay hoay basant kehtay hain-(Farhang e Asafiya)

Basant: Ab fasal kay baar awar honay ka itminan ho chala wo zard ohholo ko ghar la ker beewi bachoon ko dikhata hay aur sub mil ker basant ka tehwar manatay hain --- iss rauz kamdiyo aur ratti ki pooja hoti hay kamjio ko shiv jee nay bhasham ker diya tha
                HINDU TEHWAROON KI ISLIYAT MUnshi ram parshad-

It is evident that Basant ( Note no kite flying is mentioned in any defination of basant) is a hindu festival celebrated by harvestors etc-( it is a pure rural festival- pata nahi lahore main bachoon kay ilawa kon see fasl ugti hay ?

Kite Flying
                In my opinon it is a useless way of entertainment and as no physical exercise is involved not recommended in islam

Kite flying on basant

Now this is main issue- which you all convinently skipped- Kite flying on basant started on the death of a blashphmous hindu boy Haqiqat rai- so this makes highly objectionable for muslims to support / participate in this festival..
                References:

Let me show you some references.

Quote:
                The basant da mela was held in January at the tomb of haqiqat rai near kot khuwaja said-the fair was held at the time of blooming of mustard seed.This fair commororated for the martyrdom of Haqiqat rai who was killed on making bad remarks to Bibi Fatima and Prophet Muhammad :saw: Kite flying on basant started in the same year

Punjab under the later Mughals (1707-1759) by Bakhshihs singh nijar- MA Phd Patiala
                I hope these few references will explain my point of view- Any one wishing to answer my my post please be specific and to the point- main dheel ka paicha nahi lagata

Kuffar Muslimeen say mashghool e jang hain
                Aur muslimeen khair say mahuway patang hain

Umnmat ka ghum tau khak hau khud apna gham nahin
                khush mastion main mast hain mehway tarang hain

Wasalam
                لا عيش إلا عيش الآخرة
                BROTHERS NOT SLAVES. Regain Respect

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiyah
                  It'd be interesting to find out the history of basant prior to ruling it out as something forbidden or accepting it as something permissible.
                  You do not need to know history of something that has negative effect on the community. Due to which innocent people die and property damage ranges in millions.

Such acts are Haram. There is no middle path. Instead all the money spent on this destruction, why not donate it to poor people, feed them, clothe them, provide them a shelter. For once think and care...
                  "The sky is my dome and the earth is my prayer mat"
                  - - -
                  "Verily the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr"

Comment

I was never a fan of kite flying, however, have witnessed several parties and "rangeen" parties on the occasion. You guessed it, I am from Lahore (originally). I remeber when I was about 8 years old.....wnet up to the roof and was busy flying "patang" and forgot about the homework for school. Next day was chitrool day both at school and home. Never did attempt Kite flying again.
                    Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleem
                      Next day was chitrool day both at school and home. Never did attempt Kite flying again.
                      ^ Read Instructions Next time: Included in the Package
                      "The sky is my dome and the earth is my prayer mat"
                      - - -
                      "Verily the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr"

Comment

Kite flying is a sport and Islam does not stop a person from sport. However we are also not allowed to immitate other occassions. Why do we we have to have a day for flying kite? like basant...

Why can't people not go in the open spaces or parks to fly kites? and most importantly why does the government endorse and support such a thing? Enlightened moderation that goes with it is what is not acceptable...

If so many people do die on basant , for whatever reasons why do we we even have to celebrate such a thing?
                        According to the Qur’an "Saving one life is like saving the whole humanity” (Al-Ma’idah 5:32).

Comment

laeeqkhan: Kite flying is a sport and Islam does not stop a person from sport?

Re: A-o-A!

first of all I would like to know from laeeqkhan that who told you that kite flying is a sport? kite flying is NOT a sport, we made it a sport.

Comment

[quote=Lajawab]I think it should be celebrated and we should also include other festivals to portray ourselves as forward and an all inclusive nation...Islam Wislam can take a rest...

Re: you said we should celebarte the other festivals. Am i right? then I have a question for you? don't mad alright..but the thing is when any muslim dies, we make a NAMAZ-E-JANAZA and then we go to cemetary ..right? but in the Hindu culture, they just put the wood beside the dead body and then they make the fire and after that they flow the lashes in to the river?Just think about it for a minute...what will happen if it will happen to you? and someone will come and say to you(while tyou are dead) Islam Wsalam take the rest!!how would you feel...ALLAH has given us a book and way to live our life.

Comment

These celebrations have nothing unIslamic about them and we should be allowed to celebrate them despite what religious scholars say...They are ignorant anyways...
                              Lajawab,

No need to resort to sarcasm.

Let us do see what the scholars have to say, their opinions are well known. For the most part, they state that it is not for a Muslim to celebrate non-Muslim religous festivities. More so, there is also an opinion that imitating unbelievers is also forbidden.

The problem in applying this to Basant is two-fold:

a) Basant has lost all religous meaning
                              b) Basant, at least in Pakistan, is almost universally practiced by people who are Muslims, and they are not doing it as a way to follow the traditions of other peoples. Intent is very important.

Scholars need to adress the two points above if they want their suggested ban to hold any merit. In all the fatwas I've read, they've ignored these facts.

The Taliban, actually, had the best case: Basant kills. Idiots use wires instead of strings on their kites, which are known to get around the necks of people. Over the years the problem was getting worse, so they simply banned the festivity. If people are going to behave like careless children, then treat them as such

Comment

Working...
                              X