Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is it wrong to draw/portray the phrophen (PBUH)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is it wrong to draw/portray the phrophen (PBUH)

i know there are many threads abt the recent cartoons abt the prophet (PBUH), but i'm trying to figure out WHY is it so bad? I understand the gravity of depicting Allah, but the prophet (pbuh) was a human... why is depiction forbidded in Islam?

(i'm not defending the cartoons or anything, but just would like to know the reasoning behind it being forbidden)

(sorry abt the typo in the heading! - that's what happens when u type too fast)

Re: why is it wrong to draw/portray the phrophen (PBUH)

The Prophet of Allah is very very dear and close to our hearts. People generally get angry when someone mocks those close to them, and the Prophet Sallallah Alaih Wasalam is very very close to all of us.

It really isnt that hard to understand. The cartoons were extremely offending.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
      The Prophet of Allah is very very dear and close to our hearts. People generally get angry when someone mocks those close to them, and the Prophet Sallallah Alaih Wasalam is very very close to all of us.

It really isnt that hard to understand. The cartoons were extremely offending.
      i realize that the cartoons were offensive, that goes without saying... but i'm wondering more abt the principle of "portraying" in general...not necesarrily mocking. there was a movie abt the Prophet (pbuh) a while ago, where they didn't show him either... why is it so bad to have a picture in general of the Prophet?

Comment

Making pictures/statues etc. of animate beings is Haraam probably because it can lead to polytheism and also because only God has the right to make animate things.

They say the angels of mercy do not enter a house wherein there is an animate picture.

Comment

I think the thinking was so that muslims dont fall into idol worship like other religions...christians being prime example of this!!
          Its bigger on the inside!!

Comment

Originally posted by STONECOLD
            I think the thinking was so that muslims dont fall into idol worship like other religions...christians being prime example of this!!
            think again... there are pictures of jesus in every church in the entire world, yet muslims idolize their prophet much more than christians do. The uproar over the danish cartoons proves this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Comment

Mr. Stew, what it proves is that we still have respect for our prophet, unlike christians who have simply word "jesus" into a curse/joke/displeasure word. So give it up, your twisted logic is only making youlook more idiotic than you really are.
              Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

if excaliming "jesus" while you're mad means that christians are wors than muslims, what does it mean when someone yells allah o akbar! as they're beheading a journalist?

Comment

I did not start this comparison, but I will finish it for you ...since you are trying to change the topic. Muslims are angered, not because they worship prophet:saw:, because they hold him dear and respect him. We dont call for his name during love making, cursing or any other expression. His name is not something that is taken in vain. I know its hard for you to grasp, but, give it a try and it will start making sense to you.
                  Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

no, the difference is that even though you just insulted jesus by saying that he's effectively been reduced to a name called out during orgasm (very classy, btw), most christians realize that people are entitled to expressing their opinions regardless of whether or not others find it offensive. That's why it's called "tolerance".

Comment

I am sorry Stu but you have got it completley wrong. Its not about tolerance or freedom of speech. You guys need to dig deep into this issue as well.

There has to be respect given to religion, regardless of whose relgion. I mean, if they did the same thing to Isa (as) Jesus, we as Muslims should have stood up for it too but he's also our dear Prophet.

Read these articles and you'll know more about this issue.

 Robert Fisk (The Independent): “This isn’t Islam vs. Secularism”
                      (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...icle343111.ece)

 Edward Miller (The Jewish Week): “The Respect of a Cousin”
                      (http://www.thejewishweek.com/top/edi...hp3?artid=4825)

 Rachard Itani (CounterPunch): “Danes Finally Apologize (But for the Wrong Reasons)” (http://www.counterpunch.org/itani02022006.html)

 Svend White: “Whose Fault is the Danish Boycott?”
                      (http://hotcoals.org/?p=68#more-68)

 Gary Younge: “The Right to be Offended”
                      (http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060227/younge)

Comment

Working...
                      X