Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountains

"When you look at the mountains, you think that they are standing still. But they are moving, like the clouds. Such is the manufacture of God, Who perfected everything. He is fully cognizant of everything you do. [Quran 27:88]

Did they know that the earth was a moving planet at the time of the Prophet (sws)?

Re: Mountains

NOPES

hmmm maybe.lajawwab kahan ho?
    All of us have convinced ourselves that our way is the best way, our logic is the perfect logic and those who do not conform to our thinking must be criticized and steered to the right direction, our direction .............. therefore Gupshup exists.

Comment

Originally posted by KARAKUSH
      lajawwab kahan ho?
      he doesnt have a jawwab.
      To be on the safe side i would say: MAJORITY (99.9%) of the people did not know.
      "The sky is my dome and the earth is my prayer mat"
      - - -
      "Verily the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr"

Comment

i think the verse is not a general case but only talks of mountains on the day of judgement....
        the verse before this clearly says its talking about qiyamah when it starts with "the day on which the soor shall be blown......."
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by phatima1
          "When you look at the mountains, you think that they are standing still. But they are moving, like the clouds. Such is the manufacture of God, Who perfected everything. He is fully cognizant of everything you do. [Quran 27:88]

Did they know that the earth was a moving planet at the time of the Prophet (sws)?
          I dont know the Arab mind, specially from 7th century, so I dont know what they meant back then BUT why do you have to interpret it in the way you just did in the first place?

Comment

Many mountains do move, or rather creep along. Considering many mountains are formed due to techtonic plates smashing together, they keep moving and increasing in height continously. For example mount everest gains a few cm (not sure of the exact ammount) in height each year.

That could be one way of interpreting it. Other ways include considering that earth is continously moving / rotating in space, and the third way would be to consider what armughal said. It is best to look in context.

Comment

Originally posted by goodtalking2u
              I dont know the Arab mind, specially from 7th century, so I dont know what they meant back then BUT why do you have to interpret it in the way you just did in the first place?
              The 7th century Arab mind did not produce the Quran

Comment

Originally posted by goodtalking2u
                First of all, that was not an "interpretation", it was a translation. Secondly, it is not MY words. I got it from a website I was on last night...islamicity.com. I'll find you the exact link to the page on which I got this from. (a bit busy at the moment)

Comment

and u will not see that context of the verse that the movement of the mountains is mentioned only on the day of judgement????
                  Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by phatima1

I don't think it has to do with the fact that the earth is moving (everything will in an orbit ie the whole planet) but I believe it could definitely refer to the tactonic plate shifts that happen like the indian subcontinent moving a couple of centimeters each year into china and hence the height of mountains going up.

Comment

Originally posted by armughal
                      and u will not see that context of the verse that the movement of the mountains is mentioned only on the day of judgement????
                      ^ So you are think enough to now deny tectonic plate shifts and hence earthquakes?

Comment

Your translation seems dodgy, phatti. 2 our of 3 Neglish translations prefer to use the future tense rather than presence tense for the movement of mountains. That, and the fact the verse is part of a section talking about the day of judgement suggests that it IS about the Day.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/027.qmt.html

YUSUFALI: Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed: but they shall pass away as the clouds pass away: (such is) the artistry of Allah, who disposes of all things in perfect order: for he is well acquainted with all that ye do.
                        PICKTHAL: And thou seest the hills thou deemest solid flying with the flight of clouds: the doing of Allah Who perfecteth all things. Lo! He is Informed of what ye do.
                        SHAKIR: And you see the mountains, you think them to be solid, and they shall pass away as the passing away of the cloud-- the handiwork of Allah Who has made every thing thoroughly; surely He is Aware of what you do.
                        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                        Al-Ghazali

Comment

oh so its about the day of judgement and not tectonic plate shifts right?
                          "Are you Laiiiiike .....Chaaicking me Aoout?"

Comment

Ah, well my bad. I didn't get a chance to look up the surrounding context....was just innocently browsing through a site, you know.

http://www.islamicity.com/Science/iqs/sld011.htm

That's the site. So it's not the shifting of the tectonic plates either, yea? It is referring to what will happen on the Day of Judgement.

Comment

Check this out...

21:33
                              It is He Who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course.

And He it is Who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon; all (orbs) travel along swiftly in their celestial spheres.

And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit.

36:40
                              It is not permitted to the Sun to catch up the Moon, nor can the Night outstrip the Day: Each (just) swims along in (its own) orbit (according to Law).

Neither is it allowable to the sun that it should overtake the moon, nor can the night outstrip the day; and all float on in a sphere.

It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit.

Did they have any way of knowing back then that planets and the sun and the moon have an orbit in which they travel? Or that they float in a sphere? Or a circular course?

I even opened a thread about this verse looong time back...

Good, huh?
                              Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                              ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Working...
                              X