Follow the Idol Breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow the Idol Breaker

I was reading the article below, and it got me wondering. I , at times (too often Im sure) take it for granted that I was born a Muslim. I learned about Islam through my own family, and I had to overcome no hurdles from my family as far as my faith is concerned. This is not to say that I am a Muslim just because I was born one, but because from everything I have learned so far, it has increased my Imaan and it is what I hold near and dear, and InshAllah always will.

I know many people, and quite a few friends, some of who are very close to me. These people were not born Muslims, so when they converted, they had to go against everything (or most of it) they had been taught in their homes, and which for the most part they learned from parents.

So this thread is - in a strange way, dedicated to those who will follow their faith , be it Islam or something else, in which they truly believe, despite the fact that they have to go against the beliefs and views of their own families. For I believe... to follow the truth it takes a person with great strength.

Have a read, its a great article:

One of the rituals of Hajj is the throwing of pebbles at the three pillars of temptation that symbolizes Satan, when he tried to dissuade Prophet Ibrahim from carrying out the command of God.

The pile of broken umbrellas, huge rocks, and of course, rubber slip-ons of all hue piled around the pillars of temptation tell more than a story. The minor story of course is that some people come to Hajj unprepared and thus unaware what to hurl at Satan. The major story is that why only small pebbles are needed. The questions, what to hurl and why only small pebbles are closely connected.

The completion of the rites of Hajj, as we know them, was executed by Prophet Muhammad after he removed all idols from the Kabah. The objects that needed major demolition equipment had been done away and what now remain are fresh idols that keep cropping up at all times. The need for heavy demolition equipment does exist, but the heavy-duty stuff that needs to be removed are not big rocks of idols, but the rocks of corruption, greed, power, vanity and self-indulgence. The equipment needed to remove these rocks, are sincere doses of God Consciousness (Taqwa).

Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham), perhaps, the foremost idol-breaker, launched a mission against idolatry when it was the absolute norm - he stood firm against the tide of idol worship and challenged this deep-rooted social norm. Today, we live amidst a tide of idols, however, these idols, although man-made like their predecessors, enjoy a form that is far more deceptive than the word idol usually conjures up for us. The modern day idols of the love for power or recognition is taking many forms, and most often these idols in the guise of current-day social norm are not only hurtful to the individual but indeed the community.

Prophet Ibrahim was confronted by the same psychological and emotional challenges that confront us: making and worshipping idols was the norm, and in his case the family's livelihood too. This is where his greatness lies that he was able to break from these barriers and demolish the idols. Yes, there was opposition, but none from within him. He felt no fear, no hesitancy in undoing his family's source of income. He was driven by a desire to break the shekels of idolatry and establish the worship of One true God.

The jihad (struggle) of Prophet Ibrahim is as relevant for us today, as it was thousands of years ago. Today, although it seems that no physical idols need be broken, but many idols confront us: there are still billions who are worshipping man-made idols, there are many who, drunk with power, are devastating human rights at will, and above all human beings live with false notions of wealth.

The popular ditty goes: "What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." Humanity is held in deception and awaiting Muslims to break psychological and emotional idols and free themselves and the rest from this temporal world.

source
    "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Re: Follow the Idol Breaker

Let's see:

Hadhrat Ibraheem:as: broke the idols sitting in the place taken care by his father A'azar

Hadhrat Muhammad-e-Mustafa Ahmed-e-Mujtaba:saw: had Syedena Ali broken the idols in Baitullah.

In recent time, we only find Talibaan following this sunnah of the Prophet Aleyhmus Salaam... But they were brutal and jaahil by doing so... Ok I am confused..

as for things mentioned as metaphor for the idols, Iqbal:rehm: has said:

Iss daur maiN, MaY aur hai, jum aur hai, jaam aur
    Saaqi nay binaa kee ravish-e-lutf-O-sitam aur

Muslim nay bhee ta'ameer kiyaa apnaa haram aur
    Tehzeeb kay Aa'zar nay tarashwaaYe sanam aur

Inn taa'zaa khudaaouN maiN baRaa sub say WATAN hai
    Jo perhan iss kaa hai, woh mazhab ka kafan hai

nice artile... for sharing...
    Last edited by AQ; Jun 8, 2005, 09:38 PM. Reason: forgot one line of Iqbal's poetry
    Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Anwaar Qureshi
      Let's see:
      In recent time, we only find Talibaan following this sunnah of the Prophet Aleyhmus Salaam... But they were brutal and jaahil by doing so... Ok I am confused..
      and what sunnah do they follow when they go on killing innocent people....???
      and what sunnah do they follow when they practice there so called terrorist activities?????
      and where does their activities of forcination comes from???

its the character of Prophet P.B.U.H that made people attracted towards the islam... i have discussed an example by pointing out the incident in my thread sad incident where he went for the ayadat of the lady who threw stones at Prophet P.B.U.H..... didn't order to kill him.....

Comment

Originally posted by Texan_Dude
        and what sunnah do they follow when they go on killing innocent people....???
        and what sunnah do they follow when they practice there so called terrorist activities?????

Did Taliban killed innocent people and practiced terrorist activities? That’s news to me.
        “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

CheGuvera the fallen soldier? Why? Oh, did he get banned or something?

Anyway the point of this thread was not to discuss the Taliban. It was that many people have to go against their own families sometimes, and the social norms. And in this day and age, a lot of people live to follow social norms - and I was stating that in order to follow the truth people have to discard these things that at one point they might have held dear.

I mean people rarely take actions that differ from the rest, for fear of being outcasts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PakCanada
            Texan_Dude lets put all the misconceptions you have about the Taliban aside. The taliban deserve praise for breaking these idols and following the Sunnah of the Rasool.
            results speak for themselves - the taleban has been run aground and what's left of them aare being chased and hunted like dogs by not just American churchgoers and synagougers but also muslims of pakistan. So if you insist breaking other religion's idols is professed by Islam, aren't you implying then that Allah lost to Bhuddha?

Comment

I know that this thread is not so about Taliban but in context of idol breakers and to answer post number 24, my question is so the result is that taliban are gone forever and since they lost they were wrong in their decisions.

Mind you Quran speaks of something that happened to the Roman Empire at the time of Prophet:saw: they were defeated and for nine long years, they were being hunted and chased as well but Allah had foretold that they will come victorious at the end...

30:2 The Roman Empire has been defeated-

30:3 In a land close by; but they, (even) after (this) defeat of theirs, will soon be victorious-

30:4 Within a few years. With Allah is the Decision, in the past and in the Future: on that Day shall the Believers rejoice-

30:5 With the help of Allah. He helps whom He will, and He is exalted in might, most merciful.

30:6 (It is) the promise of Allah. Never does Allah depart from His promise: but most men understand not.

30:7 They know but the outer (things) in the life of this world: but of the End of things they are heedless.

It increases my iman every now and then when I reflect upon the implication of these above ayah in recent times.. Every ayah of Quran is for all the times... then how is it possible that these ayah of Surah Rum were only applicable for that specific incident and for that specific time...

Allah's promise of making the righteous victorious is not time-bounded.... It only requires a pure heart and people of understanding to see the meanings of these ayahs in current times..

Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

yes they are gone forever ....look at the fate of all those who tried to fight invoking islam as the cause ...(palestine jihad, afgan taleban...). Most of the so called islamic countries do not have stable governments and are in strife...and/or practice policy that is repressive to its own citizenry....I just don't see a lot of success stories...just utter failures.

Look at idol breaking itself - gazni and gang of crooks tried it...some of the moguls tried it...the psychopath aurangazeb tried it ,,,yet after several centuries of complete muslim power, Hinduism still flourished ... so did Sikhism and Bhuddhism and Jainism ....Obviously Allah doesn't agree with the idol breakers!

Comment

your answer is quite amazing when looking at the very similar arguments given by the people of Arabia upon the revealation of those ayahs in favor of the Romans.

I say, you keep saying that and it will cause my faith to increase...

Comment

Originally posted by Muslim_Queen
                    I mean people rarely take actions that differ from the rest, for fear of being outcasts etc.
                    That sums it up about the brainwashed maddrassah educated Hijabis who lack the courage to question Mullahs and other garbage that is fed to them from the time they are born. It takes guts to question the filth like the brave Irshad Manji who sends shivers down the spine of Molvis and other insecure unemployed knuckleheads.

Good topic MQ. We can always count on you for substantial discussion.

Comment

Madhanee jee here is the missing piece to the puzzle.

For I believe... to follow the truth it takes a person with great strength.

Ps .To some of those madrassa educated hijabis Irshad manji is just another joke.

Comment

Idol breaking=intolerance.. any religion that prescribes destruction of what other religions might hold dear is an intolerant religion. Q.E.D.
                        Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Pindi, next time I see you I am going to smash a statue of Ganesh on your head. It is pure brass. I will see how tolerant you are. I will do it after downing a few.

Comment

Madhanee ji aapko kis ne aur kyon chora? Where have u been?

Comment

AS hard headed as I am Madhanee..Ganesh got nothing on me.
                              Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Working...
                              X