namaste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

namaste

just out of curiousity, is this a greeting with a religious connotations or sacred to hindus

or is it just an Indian way of saying hello?

as always no fighting in my thread please

i just always wondered, thought i'd ask

~Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin
    ~Nes is MY voice of reason, get your own :snooty:

Re: namaste

it just means "salutations" or "i bow to you".
    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by queer
      "i bow to you".
      I ain't saying that again now. Not even to get pretty girls

Comment

A muslim should never say it. If you do..you should go and duly kill yourself. Say khuda haafiz or is it allah hafiz? siht..the wrong thing can get you killed too...
        Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

matty what is wrong with you

queer-thanks
          ~Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin

Comment

Sid: do not worry... it's always like that.. insulting to say the least.
            Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE. ~Aristotle

Comment

Meaning of Namaste: I bow(honour) to the god which resides inside you.

erm... we shouldnt say Namaste!!! We are not Pantheist ... we are Monotheist!

Comment

Is sayibg 'salam' not insulting? Is it not saluting to a human being?

Comment

Originally posted by anjjan
                  its not urdu/hindi salaaam please get ur facts straight..In islam the greeting is "Assalam u Alaikum" . It is an arabic word which means "Peace be upon you."
                  Last edited by homer_j_simpson; Jun 8, 2005, 03:50 AM.
                  Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

here are some links on islamic form of greeting
                    Assalamu alaikum
                    Other Commonly Used Spellings: ASSALAMO ALAIKUM,ASALAMO ALAIKUM

This is an expression Muslims say whenever they meet one another. It is a statement of greeting with peace. The meaning of it is: "Peace be upon you."

Muslims try to establish peace on earth even through the friendly relation of greeting and meeting one another.

The other forms are: "Assalamu 'Alalikum Wa Rahmatullah," which means:"May the peace and the Mercy of Allah be upon you," and "Assalamu Alalikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh," which means :"May the peace, the mercy, and the blessings of Allah be upon you."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/referenc...term.ASAK.html

....another link
                    http://www.answers.com/topic/assalamu-alaikum
                    Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

Thanks Homer, one of the rarest informative post from your side! Keep it up!

Comment

Aq Bhai-yes, but matty is sometimes nice to me

"Meaning of Namaste: I bow(honour) to the god which resides inside you."

i guess it could rest in your interpretation-if you say that God is everywhere, then techinally...

but if you're saying it in a poythesistic way, i guess that changes things?

whatever, this is not meant to be a big deal, i was just curious

queer, thanks for being one of the few that could be straight up
                        ~Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin

Comment

i dont think the God thing is right, maybe its an implied thing.

nama = salute/bow, te = you
                          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Thanks Homer, one of the rarest informative post from your side! Keep it up!
                            lol i can imagine u fuming hot when posting this ...
                            anjjan beta next time be careful before implanting ur biased opinions on islam...
                            BTW I have yet to read a post from you with postive opinions on islam or pakistan...or just plain fun...a message that has got nothing to do with hatred
                            Last edited by homer_j_simpson; Jun 8, 2005, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by homer_j_simpson
                              lol i can imagine u fuming hot when posting this ...
                              anjjan beta next time be careful before implanting ur biased opinions on islam...
                              BTW I have yet to read a post from you with postive opinions on islam or pakistan...or just plain fun...a message that has got nothing to do with hatred
                              Homer, you must read your own posts when you write abusive words for Hindus and India.

I can never wish anything bad to Pakistan. I have many friends, especially Muslims, living in that country.

with best regards

Comment

Working...
                              X