Italian Minister Grilled Over Fining Niqab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Minister Grilled Over Fining Niqab

why do hijabs and niqabs bother folks so much? I simply dont understand. I mean its ok to walk around naked ( A lot of clothes some people wear can be seen as no clothes) yet hijab/niqab is not ok.

ROME, June 6, 2005 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – Italian politicians and Muslim leaders have reacted angrily to statements by a minister from the anti-immigrant Northern League (LN) that Muslim women covering their faces in public should be fined.

"Northern League ministers are ... feeding a culture of fear and defensiveness against migrants of Islamic origin," Paolo Cento, vice chairman of the parliament's justice committee was quoted as saying by Reuters.

Justice Minister Roberto Castelli said any Muslim woman covering her face in public should be reported to police and fined.

"To go around with your face covered is a crime, you can't do it," he told reporters.

"Women who do so must be reported to the police and fined."

The local prefect has quashed fines imposed last year on an Italian revert to Islam from nearby Drezzo, who wears a niqab.

Two other women have been fined for wearing the garment elsewhere.

Fanning hysteria

Italian opposition politicians demanded the resignation of Castelli and other Northern League ministers, whose party has come to be defined by its anti-immigrant rhetoric, according to Reuters.

They accused the minister of fanning hysteria, noting that his comments were irrelevant because it was rare to see a woman dressed in a niqab on Italian streets.

The controversial remarks also drew fire from leftwing parties.

Marco Rizzo of the Communist party said they were "at the threshold of incitement to racial and religious hatred", reported The Guardian.

full story
    "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Re: Italian Minister Grilled Over Fining Niqab

There was a woman in Florida a few years ago who converted to Islam and she wanted her drivers license photo to be taken with her niqab on. They (rightfully) said no, and she sued. I think hijab is okay but niqab is taking it way too far.
    The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

How did they "rightfully" say no? Yeah I heard many many cases of such in the States - not yet of any in Canada. But anyway a simple example. Those who have seen me with my hijab all the time, proffs, class fellows etc, even my non muslim friends - when they saw me without my hijab, they didnt recognize me. Which was sort of funny. So anyway for a drivers license, theres nothing wrong with a hijab. We all know you cant get a pic taken for that in niqab, but whys hijab an issue?

Plus this isnt about niqab and an issue of a pic on a drivers license.
      "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

^ Who says niqaab is taking it too far? If a woman feels better wearing niqab, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Comment

Beats the purpose of an ID if you cover your face.
          "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Niqaab is not taking it too far, Niqaab is from Islam and most Muslims of the first three generations believed it to be compulsory, the view that it is optional is a minority view, however all of them and later scholars belived it to be better to cover than to not cover the face.

i cud be wrong but i think women should have the right to wear or not wear niqab, nobody has the right to tell em they're being extremists, if fat hoes can go around wearing pants and wot ave u, there' nowt wrong with girls who wanna conceal themselves from ppl's lusty gazes.

Uncovering the face incase of neccesity is allowed so for id card i dont see it being a problem.

Comment

aishaa, I believe revealing one's face for the purpose of ID cards may be acceptable. However, one can put it back on and only remove it when the authorities ask you to do so for legitimate reasons.

Comment

n even then u can always ask them for a lady to match your pic on passport etc. with your face ....
                i always ask for that n thankfully never refused!

Comment

Originally posted by aishaA
                  Beats the purpose of an ID if you cover your face.
                  Thats why women r not allowed to drive cars in Saudi Arab

I guess Europe and Florida should do the same.
                  Compulsory course for fundos: Gitmo Diversity training

Comment

the argumet was that she can wear the niqab if she wants. but she can't get a drivers license, since they don't know who the driver is under that niqab.

Comment

ranjhan, concern yourself with issues that are not related to women.

Jeez. I don't understand why in a hijab debate, the men always chirp up. Imbeciles.
                      I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

^
                        whats ur problem? i was only presenting my point of view.

i'd have similar views if it was about men lowering their gaze, growing beards or wearing the paincha of their pants above ankles.

Comment

your views are hollow. your actions speak otherwise.
                          I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

i am so glad i live in canada. no one has any problem here whether u wear niqab/hijab/shalwar kameez or even dhoti!
                            Last edited by suroor_ca02; Jun 6, 2005, 06:15 PM.
                            - I swear to drunk I am not God :-/

Comment

canada does sound like a wonderful place only i heard the weather is just as crap as in england, then again its a bigger place so it probably varies.

Comment

Working...
                              X