Shiva, arms and colour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shiva, arms and colour.

How many arms does shiva have, I've seen some pictures with 4 and others with 6, is it within this range? Also is it just the two legs, and why only two?

And what colour is shiva, again sometimes I get blue on a google search and sometimes green.

Help much appreciated.

Re: Shiva, arms and colour.

Aspects of God such as Shiva or Vishnu are personal attributes of the impersonal Nirguna Brahman, God without attributes, the type of God similar in Semitic religions such as Islam or Judaism (i.e., God without form or without personal characteristics.) The term "Hindu god" should not be equated with Shiva and is confused with Devas. Devas or demigods, are celestial beings similar to angels as discussed in Judaeo-Christian traditions. Devas in Sanskrit literally means "shining beings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva

Comment

I hear yah.
      But what's all this about then:

[thumb=H]shiva067414_5006053.JPG[/thumb]
      [thumb=H]shiva(2)7414_5006053.JPG[/thumb]
      [thumb=H]untitled7414_5874570.JPG[/thumb]
      [thumb=H]shiva47414_6317291.JPG[/thumb]

Now we've got one that's blue with 2 arms, a blue one with 4 arms then a green one with 4 arms and then a yellow one with 6 arms.

This is enough to leave the best of us confused.

What are the extra arms for? Other than that cool scene in one of the sinbad films where the statue with 6 arms carries six swords, it must take an age to wash up before dinner?

Comment

The concept of Devta sounds a lot like the trinity, how Christians believe Jesus (salutations of peace be upon him) to be an incarnation of God, only the number of incarnations is more in Hinduism, or the beliefs of some non-orthodox Muslims (such as the Ismaeli’s) regarding their Imams.

But wouldn’t everything (including me n u) be considered manifestations of God in Hinduism? Since (I read somewhere) Hindus believe the “Ultimate Reality” permeates everything and that everything is God (non-orthodox Sufi Muslims also believe this; Pantheism).

It is kind of similar to the concept of angels too, the way each Devta is responsible for a certain department (death, food, protection, rain etc.) of the cosmos just like the Arch-Angels in our Abrahamic traditions.

Devas in Sanskrit literally means "shining beings".
        Again that's similar to Islam, we believe Angels were created from Light.
        Last edited by Ranjhan; May 21, 2005, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Concept of God in Hinduism

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywo...u/concept.html

Comment

Guys great stuff , but the arms, 2, 4 or 6?

Comment

who cares..

Comment

Me!

That's why I'm going to all this trouble with this thread, duh.

Comment

But isn't shivaa the one that does not even have any human features..

In one of the Anthropology class, our teacher told us that it is actually Penis that is termed with that name. I am not sure but no indian in the class objected. Correct me if I am wrong.
                  Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

God is formless, attributeless and omnipresent. This state is called arUpa (formless). For the benefit of the pashus, He took the form of shiva li.ngam which is neither form nor formless but is a symbol. This symbol of Him is called arUparUpam (formless form). He took many forms out of His mercy to bless all, which are called rUpams. (2). shaivam worships the God in all these three states. The oldest form that the formless God took namely the shiva li.ngam is called sadAshiva mUrtam and is worshipped in the altar of His abodes (temples). The forms that He later took which are called mAhEshwara mUrtam are worshipped in the outer circles in a temple.

http://www.shaivam.org/shplinga.htm

The Goddess
                    her eternal symbols and her love for men

The secret symbols of the Goddess

Ankh = 'The Life'
                    The Egypt Hieroglyph Ankh is composed of both, the female symbol and the male symbol.
                    http://doormann.tripod.com/the4.htm

Comment

^
                      So, besides that use of Philosophy, am I right or wrong?
                      Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Anwaar Qureshi
                        ^
                        So, besides that use of Philosophy, am I right or wrong?
                        you are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz
                          God is formless, attributeless and omnipresent. This state is called arUpa (formless). For the benefit of the pashus, He took the form of shiva li.ngam which is neither form nor formless but is a symbol. This symbol of Him is called arUparUpam (formless form). He took many forms out of His mercy to bless all, which are called rUpams. (2). shaivam worships the God in all these three states. The oldest form that the formless God took namely the shiva li.ngam is called sadAshiva mUrtam and is worshipped in the altar of His abodes (temples). The forms that He later took which are called mAhEshwara mUrtam are worshipped in the outer circles in a temple.

http://www.shaivam.org/shplinga.htm

The Goddess
                          her eternal symbols and her love for men

The secret symbols of the Goddess

Ankh = 'The Life'
                          The Egypt Hieroglyph Ankh is composed of both, the female symbol and the male symbol.
                          http://doormann.tripod.com/the4.htm
                          Interesting sites. I dont mean to derail the thread, but what does this mean.
                          It is a free but disciplined system, which has the concepts that could be proved by logic or by experience. http://www.shaivam.org/hipintro.htm
                          what do they mean by "concept"? and "could be".
                          Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

Originally posted by nikhil25
                            you are wrong.
                            Hyen?

How so? prove it please.

Comment

Originally posted by Anwaar Qureshi
                              Hyen?

How so? prove it please.
                              the name "Shiva" refers to the Lord of Destruction, the 3rd member of the Hindu trinity....the above pictures represent His visualization in the minds of Indian religious artists.

Comment

Working...
                              X