Best philosopher(s) ever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best philosopher(s) ever...

Vote here for -in your opinion- the best, most influential philosopher in history. Do provide some arguments for your choice.

please note, I've left out religious persons/leaders, but if you wish you can specify them under 'other'.
    Why so serious ... ?

Re: Best philosopher(s) ever...

best and influential two different things. While A is influential doesnt mean they are the best in my opinion.

Comment

^adding to that, best consists of various dimensions, the one i want to focus on is influence
      Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Hey, why cant I vote in here, it says admin disabled my acc...
        I raced @200kph, crashed & survived. If you havent seen God, your not driving fast enough.

Comment

seems like noone is interested in this one?
          Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Nexi bhai, I CANT vote, it takes me to that restricted page...

the best philosopher ever was an arab dude, cant remember his name
            I raced @200kph, crashed & survived. If you havent seen God, your not driving fast enough.

Comment

aristotle.
              rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

Comment

I can't vote either.

Confucious

Might be the best and the most influential.
                "I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette. " --Rodney Dangerfield

Comment

Ibn Khaldun..
                  How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

'Best' and 'influential' these are two separate concepts and may give entirely opposite meanings in certain case. Aristotle can be considered to be most influential. Whereas Socrates may be considered to be the best.

Comment

Staying in the Western world, since everyone on the list is from there, the most influential has to be Aristotle. Thinkers used his work for centuries to build the Christian cosmology. His astronomy, as further defined and solidified by Ptolemy, ruled until the likes of Copernicus and Kepler tore it down. If you ask me, the reliance on Aristotle in medieval Europe, not just for astrological stuff, helped keep Europe stagnant scientifically far too long. So, for that negative impact I'd say his influence was greater than Einstein's positive contribution in physics and modern life. Because he had more of a direct impact than any others on the list (though the others contributed heavily indirectly) for so long and in such a way he has to be it.

The others:
                      Marx's influence proved transitory. Though it still lingers in ways, and discounting the already forgotten history of the 20th century, it's negligible compared to other economists and sociologists of the same era. Things were happening anyway and he was on the wrong side.

Socrates and Plato are cute and probably rank on a list of the best, but they're too obscure to the average person to be considered influential.

I'd like to root for Descartes as he was fairly influential in a critical time in the evolution of thought, but I don't know how far I can take that one.

Comment

not working nes
                        There is no salvation for the soul, But to fall in Love.
                        It has to creep and crawl, Among the Lovers first.

Imam Jallal-u-Din Rumi

Comment

my fav one is luwig wittgenstein and his works on language.......and plato...this guy was years ahead of his time in his thought
                          "Are you Laiiiiike .....Chaaicking me Aoout?"

Comment

Socrates... an annoying and influential philosopher
                            Life is not a joke, but a life without jokes is a cruel joke of life

Comment

Socrates.......teacher of Plato who is teacher of Aristotle who is teacher of Alexander the great.

Comment

Working...
                              X