Shaheed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaheed

What is the definition? and are dead terrorists/mujahadeen/muslim freedom fighters shaheeds?
    Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Re: Shaheed

Shaheed = Witness

anything else?
    Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE. ~Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Anwaar Qureshi
      Shaheed = Witness

anything else?
      I think he's asking about 'shaheed', not 'shaahid'
      !!! World's Shortest Giant !!!
      (A Man and a Half)

Comment

Shaheed = Witness

anything else?
        Yeah I am talking about dead muslims as in shaheed. Now are the dead terrorists, rioters etc considered shaheeds.

Comment

A 'Shaheed', by definition, is someone who is killed while fighting for the sake of Allah. You can not, however, attach the title to anyone you like. Whether someone is a shaheed or not is purely based on one's intentions.

(Allah knows best)
          (A Man and a Half)

Comment

Hunk:

The word Shaheed in Arabic means "A Witness"
            Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE. ~Aristotle

Comment

Hunk:

The word Shaheed in Arabic means "A Witness"
              That's the literal meaning of the root word though. He's asking about 'shaheed' as in martyr.
              (A Man and a Half)

Comment

Originally posted by The Hunk
                That's the literal meaning of the root word though. He's asking about 'shaheed' as in martyr.
                I know.. but the context in which the word shaheed is used in ANYWHERE in Quran is for a witness.

Even for a martyr, Quran used the word Qutela, qatalahum

In essence, a martyr is the one who gives witness of the truthfullness of deen of ALLAH:swt: and that's where it came to the colloqial form of speech.

Comment

Are you sure? I think the word 'shuhadaa' refers to martyrs. For example, take verse 4:69. I don't think you can translate 'shuhadaa' literally as 'witnesses' there.

I might be wrong though. Arabic is such an advance language.
                  (A Man and a Half)

Comment

Yousuf Ali translates that ayah as:

4:69 All who obey Allah and the apostle are in the company of those on whom is the Grace of Allah,- of the prophets (who teach), the sincere (lovers of Truth), the witnesses (who testify), and the Righteous (who do good): Ah! what a beautiful fellowship!

Comment

Picktall, however, translates it as 'martyrs'.

Do you know what arabic word the Prophet :saw: used in his 'ahadeeth' for martyrs ?
                      (A Man and a Half)

Comment

I do not know.

However, the following ayahs actually translate this word as witness:

[thumb=H]2-14314734_2683589.JPG[/thumb]

Translation:

2:143 => "Thus, have We made of you an Ummat justly balanced, that ye might be witnesses over the nations, and the Messenger a witness over yourselves; and We appointed the Qibla to which thou wast used, only to test those who followed the Messenger from those who would turn on their heels (From the Faith). Indeed it was (A change) momentous, except to those guided by Allah. And never would Allah Make your faith of no effect. For Allah is to all people Most surely full of kindness, Most Merciful."

AND:

22:78 "And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline). He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer, give regular Charity, and hold fast to Allah. He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help!"

Comment

for sharing.

I'll be sure to ask my 'ustaad' tomorrow InshaAllah. He's Arab. Let's see what he has to say about it.

I think we should hand the thread back to Verizon and his question
                          (A Man and a Half)

Comment

Only Allah knows if one is shaheed(martyr) or not, no one can say even if they die in just cause.

Comment

The reason I asked was because I was reading a book on Pakistani Army and they mentioned Rashid Minhas Shaheed, and a few other army officers/jawans that died in the 1965/71 conflict with India and had the Shaheed (or Shahada let me be politically correct so AQ understands that I am talking about martyrs) in front of their names. Also a good family friend of ours was killed when coming back from Kargil insurgency (he was in Pak Army). He was shot multiple times in the back while trying to save a few jawans after the cease fire.
                              In Abbottabad they named a Chowk for him but also tagged Shaheed.
                              Thats why I asked that, if in a armed conflict against a country, should a muslim die, is it by default that a shaheed is added?

Comment

Working...
                              X