Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuwait & Women vote.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4554381.stm

This article claims that the "tribal/Islamist alliance that dominates parliament" has objected to letting the women vote, which confuses me because most 'Islamists' I know usually proudly proclaim the political equality of women pointing out to the fact that they had a right to vote at the time of AnHazoor (saw).

So, what kind of Islamists are in Kuwait that don't allow women to vote? And does UAE allow women to vote?
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Re: Kuwait & Women vote.

Because they're arabs, simply put. They're still stuck in the pre-Islamic era and proceed to call that Islam.

Funny thing is, you should see the Kuwaiti girls at my uni. Very very americanized. They put paris hilton to shame.
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

ahmadjee... first of all I object to the term "Islamists". Secondly, how do we know that women had the right to "vote" in early Islam? Weren't we on a shura system? I don't recall any "voting", and I don't recall any women in decision-making for khalifa either. May be behind the scenes.
      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

There is lots of evidence of where the Rasul would listen to women and keep their comments in mind when making policy. So what if he didn't set up a voting system with statistically correct voting polls?

Institutions are to be modelled on the initial moves made by the Rasul, right? Somehow, we muslims do a horrible job of that whenever women come into a picture.

I dont see how women can't vote Islamically. They're more than 50 percent of your flippin' population.

Comment

Faisal bhaijaan, I don't have any links but from what I have read and heard, the shura at AnHazoor (saw) time included women. For the same reason, all Ahmadiyya national shuras include women. Maybe someone else can support or reject my claim with some reference.

Election as perceived in the world today were nonexistent around the early days of Islam. Khulafa didn't claimed khilafat for themselves but were actually nominated by a couple and then followed by others through bi'iat. At times there were a few names up in the air but then the ones named would take ba'it of another nominated and thus the matter came down to who is the last one standing. It was a kind of representation unlike any other at the time in the world and therefore can be compared to an election but obviously it was not institutionalized and thus khilafat slowly (or rapidly .. depending on individual belief on true khilafat) became a monarchy.
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

^ but ahmadis are not muslims aj, so your point is not valid. eventhough it might be factually and logically correct.
            Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Originally posted by Pinstripe Danda
              ^ but ahmadis are not muslims aj, so your point is not valid. eventhough it might be factually and logically correct.
              True, but I would be more interested in knowing the women Shuraa member...
              Focus not on who you are but what you do...
              ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Re: Kuwait &amp; Women vote.

Make no mistake.. I think its a fantastic idea that women should be involved in decision-making, as much as men are. However, I will be curious to know what arguments are put forth by Kuwaiti religious leaders to bar women from voting.

Originally posted by ahmadjee
                Election as perceived in the world today were nonexistent around the early days of Islam. Khulafa didn't claimed khilafat for themselves but were actually nominated by a couple and then followed by others through bi'iat. At times there were a few names up in the air but then the ones named would take ba'it of another nominated and thus the matter came down to who is the last one standing.
                Are you suggesting that in all this nomination-then-last-man-standing process... that women in Medina (or elsewhere) were also part of this?
                "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Faisal Bhaijaan, the only immediate incident that comes to mind is of Hazrat Aysha (ra) leading an army against Hazrat Ali (ra). Maybe the more informed can reference something better.
                  - Robert McCloskey

Comment

weren't both Aishaa (R) and Khadija (R) respectful community leaders during the initial phases of Islam in which they both lived? They were both active in spreading the word, providing support, organizing the community to be strong and steadfast in their belief, and also organizing the community in its actions? I thought the initial Islamic community was very cooperative and women were active members. I'm pretty sure.

Comment

^ I think no one in Kuwait would object to women doing all these great things (i.e. in spreading the word, providing support, organizing the community to be strong and steadfast in their belief, and also organizing the community in its actions), but that still doesn't explain if women in early Islam were part of decision-making for the khalifa/ruler? As I said earlier, may be there were women present in these shura meetings... but I have not read that part of Islamic history with that much detail. May be the folks in Kuwait are using the absence of women from those shura meetings, as a precedence to keep modern Kuwaiti women from voting.

Comment

Looking towards early Islam for voting rights for women is like reading Quran to learn about communism. An easy (and more practical) approach will be to look towards Kuwait’s nearest democracy (booooo… It’s Israel…. Boooooo) and see what can be possible when women are treated just like non-women.

Comment

Working...
                        X