• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lahore court validates marriage of 12-year-old girl with 25 years man

jazak ullah, masha ullah

http://jang.com.pk/thenews/may2005-d...main/main6.htm

LHC validates marriage of 12-year-old girl

LAHORE: The Lahore High Court in the first verdict of its kind has declared valid the marriage of a 12-year-old girl, a lawyer and court officials said on Friday.

Justice Shabbar Raza Rizvi gave the ruling on the grounds that in Islam a female can marry if she has reached puberty, the officials told AFP. He accepted a joint petition by the girl, named Zeenat Bibi, and her 25-year-old husband Babar Javed and dismissed charges of rape, which were filed by her father. The decision was handed down on Wednesday.

"This is the first time that a court has validated marriage of a 12-year-old girl in Pakistan," her lawyer Azeem Sarwar said. The ruling also overrides the Muslim Family Law under which the marriageable age for girls in Pakistan is 16 years, he added.

Justice Rizvi observed that in Islam "puberty starts with menstruation and as such the marriage of Zeenat and Babar Javed is declared valid". "A pubertal woman can marry competently, validly, legally and of her own accord," the judge said in his order.

The couple, from the industrial city of Faisalabad, got married on January 19 but Zeenat’s father registered a case against Javed saying that he abducted her and subsequently raped her. Sarwar denied that Zeenat was abducted and insisted that she married Javed of her own free will "according to Islamic Injunctions." The judge also relied on an earlier ruling by the Supreme Court that a young girl can enter into a marriage deed without the consent of her guardian, the lawyer said.
    Compulsory course for fundos: Gitmo Diversity training

Re: Lahore court validates marriage of 12-year-old girl with 25 years man

So, what is wrong in that. a court is bound to follow the law of land.

Comment

good to see them giving judgements based on Islamic shariah instead of the stupid western based laws....
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

I have to say the Lahore High Court is the most regresive court in Pakistan..they stopped a woman from become LHC CJ.. that court needs to be cleaned up..
        How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

I've not read the article but GOOD, nothing wrong with it.

In your western society you have stupid numbers like 16, 18 and 20 for when you consider someone to be an adult but in our society it is the advent of puberty and I think ours makes much more sense.

12-13 is the age most western girls start getting sexually active at anyway, just visit any secondary school in UK, marriage is a much healthier alternative to the slutting around which your girls do.

Comment

^^

Effectively said...
            Focus not on who you are but what you do...
            ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

I personally do not think that a 12 year old should get married in the first place. So a state can set a limit on that taking in perspective the Islamic law or the Convention on the rights of the child.(Mentally and Physically they are not mature and strong, irrespective of whether she has reached puberty or not. It creates complications afterwards which is evident from a number of child marriages that are being done under the garb of sharia ( aged/older men marrying younger girls) in Africa.

I am no authority on sharia but lets not kid ourselves and malign our religion. Islam allows for guys and girls of such age (who have reached puberty) to get married but at the same time Islam does not allow forced marriages. What happens is that in MOST of the circumstances, the children have absolutely no idea about the whole situation when they are married off at such a young age. Allah swt being the most merciful and Islam being quite a flexible religion allows for them to declare such a 'nikah' void on reaching puberty and 'if' they deem neccessary.

But (in this particular case) well if she has reached puberty and is not 'forced' to enter a bond, is marrying by exercising her free will to the person concerned then no one should declare this marriage as invalid.

A girl who is not even a teenager cannot really take such a huge decision But since she herself filed a petition together with her husband that means that she is mature enough to take the plunge. And its better to get married than commit a sin.

BTW, if he state has its way, it can very well place a moratorium for lets say two more years until the child is fully capable to take the responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranjhan
                I've not read the article but GOOD, nothing wrong with it.

In your western society you have stupid numbers like 16, 18 and 20 for when you consider someone to be an adult but in our society it is the advent of puberty and I think ours makes much more sense.

12-13 is the age most western girls start getting sexually active at anyway, just visit any secondary school in UK, marriage is a much healthier alternative to the slutting around which your girls do.
                Ditto !
                !!! World's Shortest Giant !!!
                (A Man and a Half)

Comment

WOW---the guys who think it's okay to marry a 12 year old, you guys are nothing short of pedophiles. What the hell makes you think that just becoz "if she's old enough to bleed, she's old enough to breed" ?? I know it's hard for some men to understand but sex is not just a penis going into the vagina. They have to be emotionally and mentally and physically strong to take on such an important act, and there is no 12 year old mature enough to deal with that, either just the sex alone, or taking on the huge responsibilities of being married. And one more thing... why would anyone want to marry an 11 or 12 year old to begin with?? Retched freaks :yukh:
                  The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

actually islamically the wali of the virgin has to give permission for the marriage to take place. so if the father did not agree to the marriage the contact can not take place...but since the marriage was consumated any wayz, i dont think we can call it rape/fornication but just a marriage contract with some flaws.
                    wallah o alam.

Comment

Originally posted by ThandyMazaq
                      actually islamically the wali of the virgin has to give permission for the marriage to take place. so if the father did not agree to the marriage the contact can not take place.
                      Not according to the Hanafi school of thought. If this took place in Lahore, I'm guessing they were Hanafi.
                      !!! World's Shortest Giant !!!
                      (A Man and a Half)

Comment

Originally posted by The Hunk
                        Not according to the Hanafi school of thought. If this took place in Lahore, I'm guessing they were Hanafi.
                        ??? when does the school of thought take precedence over the clear injunction from the prophet SAW??

“Any woman who marries without the permission of her walee, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 1021 and others; it is a saheeh hadeeth)

The marriage contract must be witnessed, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no marriage contract except with a walee and two witnesses.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7558)

He should be male, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman may conduct the marriage contract of another woman, and no woman can conduct the marriage contract on behalf of her own self, because the zaaniyah (fornicatress, adulteress) is the one who arranges things on her own behalf.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 1782; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7298)

taken from islam-qa.com

imam abu hanifa did not have access to many ahadiths of the prophet SAW so if he made his ruling on some issue based on his common sense, it is respected but it can not be blindly followed against the clear command from the prophet SAW. abu hanifa was not infalliable, so his words are not set in stone.
                        we can take his words that comply with the quran and sunnah and reject those that go against quran and sunnah.

Comment

^^

You are raising issues about a country's faith based ruling...

In that country, the law has validated that a 25 year old can be legally wedded, not by 16, like YOUR standards, but by 12, why are you raising an issue? Are you a humanitarian? Do you wish to speak about rights? Of one girl? Do you believe by crying havoc at this story, people will think you are a kind person?

Is there anyone here who thinks that what this issue is, is worth raising an issue and voice over...?

(Throws down the glove...)
                          Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                          ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Originally posted by Sara516
                            WOW---the guys who think it's okay to marry a 12 year old, you guys are nothing short of pedophiles. What the hell makes you think that just becoz "if she's old enough to bleed, she's old enough to breed" ?? I know it's hard for some men to understand but sex is not just a penis going into the vagina. They have to be emotionally and mentally and physically strong to take on such an important act, and there is no 12 year old mature enough to deal with that, either just the sex alone, or taking on the huge responsibilities of being married. And one more thing... why would anyone want to marry an 11 or 12 year old to begin with?? Retched freaks :yukh:
                            Fair enough that's your opnion and I don't agree with it just as you don't agree with mine.

I didn't say marrying a 12 year old is something I'd neccesarily want to do myself but if someone does marry a girl of that age who has reached puberty in a land where it is allowed then there is nothing disgusting or immoral about it.

Let me tell you girls (or even boys talking from own expereince) are more than ready for sex as soon as they reach puberty, Gori girls in my class at that age were gagging for it, waiting on street corners an all getting done by anything on legs. Marraige is a much more cleaner and healthier alternative to relieve their frustrations for those who can't control themselves, but oh no you like the other kaaliyaan typical gori wannabe feminists would rather turn a blind eye to all that.

Comment

^... i second that.....

Originally posted by FrozenFire
                              what am i readinggggggggg?????????...........a 12 year old girl marrying a 25 year old guy.......thats just too weird.... how can u call this a marriage. The girl's age is like the guy's sister or daughter.
                              I'm sure the guy is not gonna have fun with her havin sex ...but o well.. shame shame shame..
                              no... it's not weird... but Yes, it is uncommon....
                              ....but as long as both are 'Baaligh'... their marriage is Valid......
                              talking about age difference... so what was the age difference between Prophet (saw) and Hazret Khadija ...? .... look at Imran khan and Jamaima as well...
                              and lastly... marriage is just NOT only about having Sex .... think about the Safety n Security aspects for woman as well.. ....
                              Majbori ka dosra naam 'Shukriya'

Comment

Working...
                              X