This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mut'ah in Sunnism

I didn't want to ask this in the other thread because chances are it will get ignored as everyone is busy discussing the Shia stance on it, I just want to know what have Sunni's got to say about these Ahadeeth posted by Hazrat Bai Ma-Mooli Payalon Waali...

If anyone has any other pro-Mut'ah quotes from Sunni Ahadeeth books please don't hesitate to share.

I’m interested in what Islam really has to say about this because I’m currently in a regular Nikaah, at the time of contracting it, it was meant to be forever but things are not really going well for us at the moment and we've both come to an agreement that now it’s just a long-term relationship until we both find other ways and means and we'll call it a day (Talaaq).

Originally posted by Ma Mooli
    Alrighty, seems no one wants to check out their own back yard; am thinking maybe i should help out. y'all nitwits getting haughty for nothing. These are but a few sunni references; if you need more, dunn hesitate to ask.

1) Narrated 'Imran bin Husain: "The Verse of Mut'a was revealed in Allah's Book, so we did it at the time of Allah's Apostle, and nothing was revealed in Quran to make it illegal, nor did the Prophet prohibit it till he died. But a man (who regarded it illegal) expressed what his own mind suggested."

Sahih al-Bukhari, Arabic-English, v6, Hadith #43
    Sahih al-Bukhari, Arabic, v2, p375, v6, p34

Pretty clear on that one eh. Lets have a look at another;

2) Narrated Abu Jamra: I heard Ibn Abbas (giving a verdict) when he was asked about the Mut'ah with the women, and he permitted it (Nikah al-Mut'ah). On that a freed slave of his said to him, "That is only when it is very badly needed and (qualified permanent) women are scarce, or similar cases." On that, Ibn Abbas said, "Yes."

Sahih Bukhari, Arabic-English, v7, Hadith #51

2) It is narrated in Sahih al-Tirmidhi that: "some one asked Abdullah Ibn Umar about Mut'a (of Hajj), he said: It is permitted (Halaal). So he was asked: your father forbade it. He said: Do you think that my father can forbid what the Prophet did? Should I follow what my father said, or should I follow what the Prophet ordered? The man said: Of course the orders of the Prophet (&HF)."

Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v1, p157

well, we finally see the conflict.

3) Salama b. al. Akwa' and Jabir b. Abdullah reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) came to us and permitted us to contract temporary marriage.
    Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3247

4) Ibn Uraij reported: 'Ati' reported that jibir b. Abdullah came to perform 'Umra, and we came to his abode, and the people asked him about different things, and then they made a mention of temporary marriage, whereupon he said: Yes, we had been benefiting ourselves by this temporary marriage during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) and during the time of Abi Bakr and 'Umar.
    Sahih Muslim: Book 008, Number 3248

5) Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: We contracted temporary marriage giving a handful of (tales or flour as a dower during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and durnig the time of Abu Bakr until 'Umar forbade it in the case of 'Amr b. Huraith.
    Sahih Muslim; Book 008, Number 3249

6) Abu Nadra reported: While I was in the company of Jabir b. Abdullah, a person came to him and said that Ibn 'Abbas and Ibn Zubair differed on the two types of Mut'as (Tamattu' of Hajj 1846 and Tamattu' with women), whereupon Jabir said: We used to do these two during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). Umar then forbade us to do them, and so we did not revert to them.
    SahihMuslim; Book 008, Number 3250

7) al-Suddy (RA) said: "The verse 'So for those of whom you have had pleasure with them by the contract to an appointed time' is about Mut'a, that is, a man marries a woman with a provision (i.e., dowry) for a fixed period of time and makes two witnesses, and (if virgin,) he asks the permission of her guardian, and when the time period is expired, they should separate and they will not inherit each other."
    Tafsir al-Kabir, by Ibn Jarir al-Tabari, under the commentary of verse 4:24, v8, p176, Tradition #9033

8) Ibn Qalaba narrates Umar said, 'During the lifetime of Rasulullah(s) there were two types of Mut'ah, I now prohibit them and shall inflict the punishment of the Zina on its perpetrators.
    Kanz al Ummal , Volume 8 p. 93 Bab Mut'ah.

9) Umar in a sermon said, during the life of Rasulullah, two Mut'ah's existed, I prohibit them and shall punish those that do it.
    Ahkam al Quran, Ahkaam al Quran Volume 2 p 182

10) When Umar become Khalifa he issued a sermon to the people of the Quran is the same Quran and Rasulullah(s) is the same Rasulullah(s). During the time of Rasulullah there were two types of Mut'ah, Mut'ah of Hajj and Mut'ah of Nisa.
    Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal Volume 1 p. 12 hadith 369

10) Umar acknowledged that Mut'ah was halaal and declared it haram.
    Sharh Muqassid:Volume 3 p. 94, Dhikr Muthaeen Umar

11) Yahya Ibn Aktham asked a Shaikh from Basra: "Why do you permit Mut'ah?" He answered "Due to Umar Ibn al-Khattab". Yahya asked: "How is that? Umar was the most sever one against it?" He answered: "Yes, it is an authentic narration that Umar ascended the pulpit and said: 'Allah and His Prophet permitted you two Mut'ah, but I forbid you on both and will punish those who commit it', so we accepted the witness of Umar (that Allah and His Prophet permitted it) but we did not accept his prohibition."
    al Maudhooroth Volume 2 page 214 part 12

other authoritative Sunni texts.

Tafseer Kabeer volume 3 p. 97 Al-Nisa
    Tafseer al Kabeer, Page 42 & 43
    Zaad al Maad Volume 2 p 205
    Tafseer Qasmi Volume 3 p. 04
    Sharh Tajeed p. 08

Re: Mut'ah in Sunnism

I would like the knowledgeable guppies to help me out with the main topic. A little confused here, help please.

Comment

u r having problem in ur marriage, seek a marriage counsellor's help. dont use this excuse to sleep around by justifying it ignorantly through religion just so u dont have to feel guilty about it.
      - I swear to drunk I am not God :-/

Comment

Comment

Hi, I'm a Christian and I am in a muta marrige with a muslim right now and when we discuss muta marriges he says he's allowed to have sex if it was put in the "contract" I was just wondering is that true? If the female are unable to be touched then how is it that a guy can have sex. I guess I just don't understand. What are the other things you can and can not do while in a muta marrige?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

We are very upset to hear about this incident in which you have been deceived and lied to, or have fallen victim to the ignorance of this evil man. The final ruling with regard to mut’ah marriage is that it is forbidden according to Islamic sharee’ah. This prohibition is the final ruling of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with regard to this matter.

Imaam Muslim said in his Saheeh:

Baab Nikaah al-Mut’ah wa bayaan annahu ubeeha thumma nusikha thumma ubeeha thumma nusikha wastaqarra tahreemuhu ilaa Yawn il-Qiyaamah (Chapter on Mut’ah marriage and the statement that it was permitted, then abrogated, then permitted, then abrogated, and this prohibition remains in effect until the Day of Resurrection).

From Iyaas ibn Salamah from his father, who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave sanction for contracting temporary marriage (mut’ah) for three nights in the year of Awtaas [after the Battle of Humayn in 8 AH], then he forbade it.” (2499)

From al-Rabee’ ibn Sabrah from his father: on the day of the Conquest (of Makkah) the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade temporary marriage (mut’ah) with women. (Saheeh Muslim, 2506)

And also from him (may Allaah be pleased with him): that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade mut’ah and said: “It is forbidden from this day of yours until the Day of Resurrection, and whoever has given anything [as a dowry] should not take it back.” (Saheeh Muslim, 2509).

From ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib: that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade temporary marriage to women and the flesh of donkeys at the time of Khaybar. This was narrated by al-Tirmidhi, who said: the hadeeth of ‘Ali is hasan saheeh and this is what was followed by the scholars among the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and others… this is also the view of al-Thawri, Ibn al-Mubaarak, al-Shaafa’i, Ahmad and Ishaaq. Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 1040.

Either this man who has deceived you is an evil Raafidi who is following the religion of his community, who permit mut’ah marriages which are forbidden in Islam, or he is a corrupt Muslim who is taking advantage of the matter to fulfil his own desires, or he is ignorant and needs to be educated and advised.

We thank you for sending this question to us and we would like to take this opportunity to invite you to Islam, the religion of truth, which came to protect people’s life, honour and wealth. You will find information on embracing Islam in the first sections on our web-page. We pray to Allaah to help you to do that which is good and to protect you from evil things and evil people. May Allaah bless the Chosen Prophet.

Islam Q&A
          Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)
          http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&QR=6595

Comment

Could you please tell if there is such a concept as 'temporary marriages'in islam. I would like to know because a friend of mine has read a book by professor Abui Qasim Gourgi and is under the impression that if they are already married it is okay for them to do muta(the name for a temporary marriage according to islamic shariah). His definition for a temporary marriage is that if you like someone it is okay for you to have your nikah read with them for a short period of time. Please could you tell me more about the issue of muta and which schools of thought believe in such an idea (could you support your answer using references from ahadith and quran).

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Mut’ah or temporary marriage refers to when a man marries a woman for a specific length of time in return for a particular amount of money.

The basic principle concerning marriage is that it should be ongoing and permanent. Temporary marriage – i.e., mut’ah marriage – was permitted at the beginning of Islam, then it was abrogated and became haraam until the Day of Judgement.

It was narrated from ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade mut’ah marriage and the meat of domestic donkeys at the time of Khaybar. According to another report, he forbade mut’ah marriage at the time of Khaybar and he forbade the meat of tame donkeys.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3979; Muslim, 1407.

It was narrated from al-Rabee’ ibn Sabrah al-Juhani that his father told him that he was with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who said, “O people, I used to allow you to engage in mut’ah marriages, but now Allaah has forbidden that until the Day of Resurrection, so whoever has any wives in a mut’ah marriage, he should let her go and do not take anything of the (money) you have given them.”

Narrated by Muslim, 1406.

Allaah has made marriage one of His signs which calls us to think and ponder. He has created love and compassion between the spouses, and has made the wife a source of tranquility for the husband. He encouraged us to have children and decreed that a woman should wait out the ‘iddah period and may inherit. None of that exists in this haraam form of marriage.

A woman who is married in a mut’ah marriage, according to the Raafidis – i.e. the Shi’ah, who are the ones who say that this is permissible – is neither a wife nor a concubine. But Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts)

Except from their wives or (the slaves) that their right hands possess, for then, they are free from blame;

But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors”

[al-Mu’minoon 23:5-7]

The Raafidis quote invalid evidence to support their argument that mut’ah is permissible. For example:

(a) They quote the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…so with those of whom you have enjoyed sexual relations, give them their Mahr as prescribed…”

[al-Nisa’ 4:24]

They say: this verse indicates that mut’ah is permissible, and the word ‘their mahr (ujoorahunna – lit. their dues or their wages)’ is evidence that what is meant by the phrase ‘you have enjoyed sexual relations’ is mut’ah.

The refutation of this is the fact that prior to this Allaah mentions the women whom a man is forbidden to marry, then he mentions what is permissible for him, and He commands the man to give to the woman he marries her mahr.

The joy of marriage is expressed here by the word enjoyment (‘of whom you have enjoyed sexual relations’). A similar instance occurs in the Sunnah, in the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah according to which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Woman is like a bent rib, if you try to straighten her you will break her. If you want to enjoy her, then enjoy her while she still has some crookedness in her.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4889; Muslim, 1468.

The mahr is referred to here as ajr (lit. dues or wages), but this does not refer to the money which is paid to the woman with whom he engages in mut’ah in the contract of mut’ah. The mahr is referred to as ajr elsewhere in the Book of Allaah, where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet (Muhammad)! Verily, We have made lawful to you your wives, to whom you have paid their Mahr (bridal‑money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage)…”

[al-Ahzaab 33:50]

Thus it becomes clear that there is no evidence in this verse to suggest that mut’ah is permissible.

Even if we were to say for argument’s sake that this verse indicates that mut’ah is permitted, we would still say that it is abrogated by the reports in the saheeh Sunnah which prove that mut’ah is forbidden until the Day of Resurrection.

(b) The reports that some of the Sahaabah regarded it as being permissible, especially Ibn ‘Abbaas.

The refutation here is the fact that the Raafidis are following their own whims and desires, because they regard the companions of the Prophet (may Allaah be pleased with them) as kaafirs, then you see them quoting their actions as permissible in this instance and in others.

With regard to those who said that it is permissible, they are among those who did not hear that it had been forbidden. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) – including ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Zubayr – refuted Ibn ‘Abbaas’s view that mut’ah was permitted.

It was narrated from ‘Ali that he heard Ibn ‘Abbaas permitting mut’ah marriage, and he said, “Wait a minute, O Ibn ‘Abbaas, for the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade it on the day of Khaybar and (he also forbade) the meat of tame donkeys.”

Narrated by Muslim, 1407.

For more information see Questions no. 1373, 2377, 6595.

And Allaah knows best.
            http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=20738&dgn=4

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Ma Mooli
              Alrighty, seems no one wants to check out their own back yard; am thinking maybe i should help out. y'all nitwits getting haughty for nothing. These are but a few sunni references; if you need more, dunn hesitate to ask.

1) Narrated 'Imran bin Husain: "The Verse of Mut'a was revealed in Allah's Book, so we did it at the time of Allah's Apostle, and nothing was revealed in Quran to make it illegal, nor did the Prophet prohibit it till he died. But a man (who regarded it illegal) expressed what his own mind suggested."

2) Narrated Abu Jamra: I heard Ibn Abbas (giving a verdict) when he was asked about the Mut'ah with the women, and he permitted it (Nikah al-Mut'ah). On that a freed slave of his said to him, "That is only when it is very badly needed and (qualified permanent) women are scarce, or similar cases." On that, Ibn Abbas said, "Yes."

2) It is narrated in Sahih al-Tirmidhi that: "some one asked Abdullah Ibn Umar about Mut'a (of Hajj), he said: It is permitted (Halaal). So he was asked: your father forbade it. He said: Do you think that my father can forbid what the Prophet did? Should I follow what my father said, or should I follow what the Prophet ordered? The man said: Of course the orders of the Prophet (&HF)."

3) Salama b. al. Akwa' and Jabir b. Abdullah reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) came to us and permitted us to contract temporary marriage.

4) Ibn Uraij reported: 'Ati' reported that jibir b. Abdullah came to perform 'Umra, and we came to his abode, and the people asked him about different things, and then they made a mention of temporary marriage, whereupon he said: Yes, we had been benefiting ourselves by this temporary marriage during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) and during the time of Abi Bakr and 'Umar.

5) Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: We contracted temporary marriage giving a handful of (tales or flour as a dower during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and durnig the time of Abu Bakr until 'Umar forbade it in the case of 'Amr b. Huraith.

6) Abu Nadra reported: While I was in the company of Jabir b. Abdullah, a person came to him and said that Ibn 'Abbas and Ibn Zubair differed on the two types of Mut'as (Tamattu' of Hajj 1846 and Tamattu' with women), whereupon Jabir said: We used to do these two during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). Umar then forbade us to do them, and so we did not revert to them.

7) al-Suddy (RA) said: "The verse 'So for those of whom you have had pleasure with them by the contract to an appointed time' is about Mut'a, that is, a man marries a woman with a provision (i.e., dowry) for a fixed period of time and makes two witnesses, and (if virgin,) he asks the permission of her guardian, and when the time period is expired, they should separate and they will not inherit each other."
              Tafsir al-Kabir, by Ibn Jarir al-Tabari, under the commentary of verse 4:24, v8, p176, Tradition #9033

8) Ibn Qalaba narrates Umar said, 'During the lifetime of Rasulullah(s) there were two types of Mut'ah, I now prohibit them and shall inflict the punishment of the Zina on its perpetrators.

9) Umar in a sermon said, during the life of Rasulullah, two Mut'ah's existed, I prohibit them and shall punish those that do it.

10) When Umar become Khalifa he issued a sermon to the people of the Quran is the same Quran and Rasulullah(s) is the same Rasulullah(s). During the time of Rasulullah there were two types of Mut'ah, Mut'ah of Hajj and Mut'ah of Nisa.

11) Yahya Ibn Aktham asked a Shaikh from Basra: "Why do you permit Mut'ah?" He answered "Due to Umar Ibn al-Khattab". Yahya asked: "How is that? Umar was the most sever one against it?" He answered: "Yes, it is an authentic narration that Umar ascended the pulpit and said: 'Allah and His Prophet permitted you two Mut'ah, but I forbid you on both and will punish those who commit it', so we accepted the witness of Umar (that Allah and His Prophet permitted it) but we did not accept his prohibition."

Sharh Tajeed p. 08

Its amazing how many hadiths are in sunni books .. some of them even talks about Umar prohibiting mutah.... and sunni's accuse us for praciticing something that was allowed by Prophet Mohammad P.B.U.H. what right does he have to declare something that is halal to haram.

Wasn't islam complete at the time of Prophet Mohammad P.B.U.H....
              "Today I have perfected your religion and completed my favour upon you, and I was satisfied that Islam be your religion." (Qur'an 5:3)

Comment

The practice is also mentioned in Quran in the following ayat:
                (...Except the forbidden women) the rest are lawful unto you to seek them with gifts from your property (i.e., dowry), provided that you desire protection (from sin), not fornication. So for whatever you have had of pleasure (Istamta'tum) with them by the contract, give unto them their appointed wages as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what you both agree (in extending the contract) after fulfilling the (first) duty. Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise. (Quran 4:24)
                http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/chapter6a/1.html

Alright so we have a ayat and than some hadith's that claim that Umar forbidded the act...and one hadith that contradicts Quran saying that the practice was stopped.. Now if something is mentioned in Quran, you think a hadith would overrule the practice.. and if not.. and the practice was abolished by Umar.... what right does he have to declare something Quran and Prophet Mohammad P.B.U.H. made haram.
                [Originally posted by Ranjhan]
                I’m currently in a regular Nikaah, at the time of contracting it, it was meant to be forever but things are not really going well for us at the moment and we've both come to an agreement that now it’s just a long-term relationship until we both find other ways and means and we'll call it a day (Talaaq).
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brother as a friend I would still advice you to try to work out your current marriage... I am sure inshallah there must be ways you can work things out..... Why think about other stuff when you are already married... focus on your wife and inshallah you can have a successful marriage..... Ameen

Comment

Mainstream (sunni)muslims do not believe temporary marraige as part of Islam. It was practiced and then forbiden by prophet (pbuh).

Also Mainstream Muslim do not believe that Slavery is acceptable in Islam now, although it was practiced and never forbidden during the time of prophet and Caliphs.

That is because, the differnent requirement of changing times. As Allah has granted common sense to sort out different things. And i think muta is the least important, rather ignorable chapter.

So the topic 'Mutah in sunism' has actually no substance to begin with, and no two views. It is clear that it is forbidden in sunni schools of thought from day one. End of story

So there is no need to discuss same topic in two different threads ?
                  Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

Originally posted by Texan_Dude
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Ma Mooli

Sharh Tajeed p. 08

Its amazing how many hadiths are in sunni books .. some of them even talks about Umar prohibiting mutah.... and sunni's accuse us for praciticing something that was allowed by Prophet Mohammad P.B.U.H. what right does he have to declare something that is halal to haram.

Wasn't islam complete at the time of Prophet Mohammad P.B.U.H....
                    "Today I have perfected your religion and completed my favour upon you, and I was satisfied that Islam be your religion." (Qur'an 5:3)
                    We must know and bear in mind that all of the Sahabah (raa) were not always around the Prophet (saw) 24/7. Many of them lived at fair bit of distance from him or in surrounding areas of Madinah. It was not like that the Prophet took classes from eight to five like present day Universities or colleges with all the Sahabah (raa) in attendance to give them daily lectures.

The Prophet (saw) in divulge knowledge when and to whom he deemed fit.

It is quite possible that they were not always up to date with some of the directives of the Prophet (saw). They learned from each other.

Sunnis do not take the Sahabah (raa) as infallibles. Individually a few can have the wrong information.

What we follow is the ijma (the Consensus) of the Sahabahs (raa). The opinion of the Majority of Sahabah (raa) is taken as relevant and that of the individual at variance is not.

To control the urges for sexual desire we have Hadith about fasting. Whereas I think the concept of fast is a better option when applied to this situation than a mutah

I am going to copy & paste the following from the Net. I think the site was Ummah.com

It is so "well-known" that there are a few narrations in the Book of Bukhari, and two of the three in volume 6, Book 60 are alleged to deal with ibn Abbass (R). By the death of the Prophet (S), ibn Abbass (R) was a maximum of 15 years old. He would not even be allowed to participate in battles let alone the Battle of Khaibar during the time of the Prophet (S).

We know for a fact that the maximum age allowed in the first Battles was 15, and there is no evidence to say that the bar was reduced to let younger men participate. In fact, it is highly unlikely that the age limit was reduced considering the fact that by then, the Muslim ummah had increased and they were not so short on men that they needed 10-15 year olds. It is extremely difficult to imagine ibn abbass (R) being an authority on mut’ah.

Now as for the claim that ibn Abbass never believed the assertions that the Prophet (S) forbade mutah there is the following narration attributed to Ali (R): I said to Ibn 'Abbas, "During the battle of Khaibar the Prophet forbade (Nikah) Al-Mut’ah and the eating of donkey's meat."

Once, Ali argued with a man who believed in Mut’ah and told him that the Prophet made Mut’ah and the meat of donkey haram on the day of Khaiber (Bukhari vol. 7, pg. 287 and vol. 4 pg. 134).

Ninety-nine percent of the companions followed this opinion, but there was one percent who believed Mut’ah can be performed in extreme case of necessity in the land of war. This one percent is divided into two groups. One says, it is allowed with the Caliph's permission, and the other says there is no need for the permission. Those who do not believe in Caliph's permission say that it was Umar who made it haram.

Their proof is based upon an opinion by a companion namely Ibn Abbas. People misused this opinion of Ibn Abbas until he clarified himself and said, "Wallahi I did not mean what they did! I meant similarly to what Allah meant when he allowed the meat of dead animals and pork to be eaten in extreme necessity."

This is referring to the time when people abused the rule of necessity at time of Umar, following the understanding of the one percent. Finally, Umar declared and taught it to be haram when a lady came to Umar complaining about how her husband in Mut’ah, who was married, would not take responsibility of the child. He realized how the society was becoming corrupt with similar conditions to adultery. Thus, he had to teach people and make Mut’ah haram even in the case of the one percent opinion.

The Shia themselves have a hadith narrated by Ali (r.a.a) which states that the Prophet made Mut’ah haram on the day of Khaiber (Book of Tahdeeb: vol. 7, pg. 251, rewaya 10).

The author states that Ali lied for the purposes of Taqiya.

In Book of Istebsar: vol. 3, pg. 142, rewaya 5, there is a declaration by Ali that Mut’ah is haram. Again they accuse Ali of lying for Taqiya.

cont...........

Comment

So basically, it is well-acknowledged that all of the major Companions (R) participated in the Battle of Khaiber. Umar and Abu Bakr both participated in it, and in fact they both requested that they take the flag that the Prophet (S) presented. Thus, to claim that the Prophet (S) disallowed in in Khaybar and it was being practiced during the time of Abu Bakr (R), let alone Umar (R) is absurd.

Further, in Muslim, it says: Iyas b. Salama reported on the authority of his father that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) gave sanction for contracting temporary marriage for three nights in the year of Autas and then forbade it.
                      So this narration claims that mutah was allowed for 3 nights, and afterwards was forbidden.

Then we have this narration: Narrated 'Imran bin Husain: "The Verse of Mut’ah was revealed in Allah's Book, so we did it at the time of Allah's Apostle, and nothing was revealed in Quran to make it illegal, nor did the Prophet prohibit it till he died. But a man (who regarded it illegal) expressed what his own mind suggested."

So in this narration, mutah is alleged to have been authorized by the Quran itself, contradicting the countless other narrations. Not only that, this narration is meant to stain Umar (R).

Then there is another narration that follows: Abu Nadhra said: Ibn Abbas commanded to do Mut’ah while Ibn Zubair forbade doing it. I mentioned this to Jabir Ibn Abdillah and he said: It is through me that this Hadith has been circulated. We did Mut’ah (of Hajj and women) at the time of the Messenger of Allah. When Umar was installed as Caliph, he said: Verily Allah made permissible for his Messenger whatever He liked and as He liked. And its command was revealed in Quran. Thus accomplish Hajj and Umra for Allah as Allah has commanded you, and confirm (by reverting to permanent marriage) the marriages of those women (with whom you have performed Mut’ah). And any person would come to me with a marriage of appointed duration (i.e. Mut’ah) I would stone him.

This is obviously the same narration as: "Abu Nadra reported: While I was in the company of Jabir b. Abdullah, a person came to him and said that Ibn 'Abbas and Ibn Zubair differed on the two types of Mut’ahs, whereupon Jabir said: We used to do these two during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). Umar then forbade us to do them, and so we did not revert to them."

This narration says that ibn abbass and ibn Zubair were arguing over mutah, yet neither of them participated in any of the Battles of the Prophet (S). This last hadeeth is similar to the hadeeth alleging that according to Umar (R), God Almighty revealed a law concerning stoning the adulterers but had it abrogated. Umar (R) is then alleged to say the law is still in effect. But in this case, Umar (R) is said to have stated the law is no longer in effect. So we have two similar narrations casting Umar (R) in a bad light. In the first, it is alleged he is overturning the ruling of the Prophet (S) and in the second, it is alleged he is putting into effect a ruling that has been abrogated.

The contradictions of these narrations are so obvious that it becomes clear as I state before that the traditions need to be re-examined.

The disagreement of the Companions cannot be resolved by the agreement of scholars of a later age to impose whatever standards they please upon the law.

Why cannot one say that traditions need to be re-examined? The Quran is very clear in this regard and there is absolutely no support for mutah in it.

The Quran does not even use the word mutah let alone given regulations in regards to the practice. It may be possible for a ruler to prohibit Mut’ah, for whatever reason, but such a legal sanction would only be temporary and would not its fundamental legality in Shariah law.

Shareeah law is not based upon contradictory narrations. Shareeah law, its allowances and prohibitions, are in the Quran and the Quran has referred to only two types of sexual relationships, through marriage and concubines.

There is no law for mutah. Further, the sunnah refers to the well-trodden path of the Prophet (S) and such contradictory narrations establish nothing except that it is not 'well-trodden'. The sunnah itself does not even refer to shareeah prohibitions.

It is a moral issue and is in direct contradiction to the spirit of the Quran.
                      The underlying issue is whether a marriage contract may or may not contain a time clause.

If the Quran refers to the issue of talaq very seriously and binds it with a certain time period, and if the Quran refers to the stability of the family as the primary reason for a successful society, and if the Quran gives a very strict punishment for zina, and if the Quran in fact gives them a public punishment to expose them, and if the Quran does not recognize that an adulterer can marry one who never committed the act, why is mutah even a discussion today?

And what happens to all the legal rights of somebody born through mutah, and the inheritance rights if the man dies while engaged in mutah and so on and so forth? Yet, the Quran does not deal with them. So yes, we do have a problem and a serious problem with those that claim mutah is supported by Islam and the Quran.

Shia references on invalidity of Mut'ah

Al-Tusi mentioned in his book "Al-Tahzib" (Vol. 2, P. 186) as well as Al-Hurr Al-Amili in "Wasa'el Al-Shia" (Vol. 14, P. 441):

"By Zayd ibn Ali by his fathers by Ali (as) who said: "The messenger of Allah (saws) prohibited the meat of domesticated donkeys and Nikah' Al-Mutah'""

Al-Hurr Al-Amili commented on this narration saying: "The Sheikh (i.e. Al-Tusi) considered this to be Taqiyyah because the permission to practice Mutah is a necessity of the Imaami mazhab"

In Bihaar Al-Anwar, Vol. 100, P. 318, Ja'far Al-Sadiq says about Mutah in a narration by Hisham bin Al-Hakam: "Only the prostitutes do it"

On the same page, Ja'far Al-Sadiq says in a narration by Abdallah bin Sinan: "I asked Abu Abdullah (as) about Mutah. He said: "Don't defile yourself with it""

In the Furuu' of Al-Kafi (Vol. 2, P. 48), we read the following clear-cut prohibition of Mutah by Ja'far al-Sadiq: "Mutah has been prohibited for you"

Comment

Thanday bhai those fataawa are lovely but they don’t explain the contradicting ahadeeth posted by Ma Mooli.

I want somebody to explain them, you can't just brush them away under the carpet and only follow what suits your fancy.

Comment

Brother as a friend I would still advice you to try to work out your current marriage... I am sure inshallah there must be ways you can work things out..... Why think about other stuff when you are already married... focus on your wife and inshallah you can have a successful marriage..... Ameen
                          u r having problem in ur marriage, seek a marriage counsellor's help. dont use this excuse to sleep around by justifying it ignorantly through religion just so u dont have to feel guilty about it.
                          LOL Marriage cousellor? It's only a nikaa we've had not a full fledge wedding which everyone would know about, I'm dragging it for as long as possible one because my firends all know about it and it'll be embarassing if they see her with someone else, secondly she's of Polish descent and I don't want to leave her alone in a Kafir society with Kafir family.

Comment

We must know and bear in mind that all of the Sahabah (raa) were not always around the Prophet (saw) 24/7. Many of them lived at fair bit of distance from him or in surrounding areas of Madinah. It was not like that the Prophet took classes from eight to five like present day Universities or colleges with all the Sahabah (raa) in attendance to give them daily lectures.

It is quite possible that they were not always up to date with some of the directives of the Prophet (saw). They learned from each other.

Sunnis do not take the Sahabah (raa) as infallibles. Individually a few can have the wrong information.

What we follow is the ijma (the Consensus) of the Sahabahs (raa). The opinion of the Majority of Sahabah (raa) is taken as relevant and that of the individual at variance is not.
                            Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranjhan
                              Thanday bhai those fataawa are lovely but they don’t explain the contradicting ahadeeth posted by Ma Mooli.

I want somebody to explain them, you can't just brush them away under the carpet and only follow what suits your fancy.
                              The following should help you out

Comment

Working...
                              X