Salaat in other languages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salaat in other languages?

Growing up in Karachi, Pakistan going to the mosque, maulvi sahib coming home for Quran Sharif talawat, Ramazan, Tarawee etc etc....We muslims practice our faith in a language which is niether understood or spoken by the majority. From Indonesia to the United States of America, there are only 225MM Arab Muslims out of the 1.5Billion across the globe.

Can we and should we allow Salaat, Tarawee and other religious practices in the local languages?

Re: Salaat in other languages?

Sanskirit would have to be adopted in Pakistan's case, so as to let all the converted progeny of hindus feeling nostalgic, connect to their ancestors.....
    "Mai baap Amreeka has decided to breakup Pakistan, MQM will support Amreeka and I will not stop killing pukhtoons" - Pir Altaf Bhaggorra of Landan...

Comment

Prayers will be lost in translation.
      “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

Originally posted by fartguru

Can we and should we allow Salaat, Tarawee and other religious practices in the local languages?
        You are free to do whatever you seem comfortable with and you can allow it as much as you like; the only difference is that Allah:swt: may not have allowed it. But what the heck.
        Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Smith
          So instead of it being lost in translation; people simply won't get anything! Forget the fact that the majority of people learn teachings from the Qu'ran from translation anyway. Its not like the Qu'ran isn't already preserved that it must be orally protected.

The only reason why I would prefer to use the arabic is because it is more poetic and if truly God's words; then it is not the meaning of the words that is important but the experience and connection with God. Educating urself on what the Qu'ran means is, in my opinion, not what prayer time is about. Therefore; the pakistani maulvi saahib can simply explain the verses to the people before the prayers..and then the prayer can be spent appreciating the recitation. Agreed, that most imam's don't make you appreciate the Qu'ran..they make it an effort to listen to them.

So..on one hand you have actually appreciating the gravity of the meaning of the words during prayer (which is achieved by making it language based) .. or appreciating the words of God (which can only be achieved in the original language). Either way; some form of appreciation and connection with God is achieved. And thats what's more important.

Comment

Originally posted by fartguru

Why? Why not teach and learn Arabic so we understand these things? If it was French, English, Italian classes, people would be lining in droves learn, but to learn Arabic is fundamentalist...

I am a firm believer that every Muslim should be bi-lingual, so why shouldn't the second language be Arabic?

Instead of trying to make your hand fit the glove, you are trying to make the glove fit you hand...

Don't happen...You'll come out of its seams...
            Focus not on who you are but what you do...
            ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Originally posted by Lajawab
              Why? Why not teach and learn Arabic so we understand these things? If it was French, English, Italian classes, people would be lining in droves learn, but to learn Arabic is fundamentalist...

so sad and true these days
              Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by CheGuvera
                Sanskirit would have to be adopted in Pakistan's case, so as to let all the converted progeny of hindus feeling nostalgic, connect to their ancestors.....
                Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) belonged to the Quriash....ever wonder what they were doing before Mohammed (PBUH) recieved the wahi's??

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Smith
                  And...whats happening in the current state of affairs? Offering prayers in a language alien to them....so whats the purpose of reading something which does not convey any meaning?? Lost in recitation....

Comment

Originally posted by Anwaar Qureshi
                    You are free to do whatever you seem comfortable with and you can allow it as much as you like; the only difference is that Allah:swt: may not have allowed it. But what the heck.
                    My question was....can we? If not, pls tell me where it states that prayers and offering sud only be in Arabic??

Comment

Originally posted by 828
                      The only reason why I would prefer to use the arabic is because it is more poetic and if truly God's words; then it is not the meaning of the words that is important but the experience and connection with God. Educating urself on what the Qu'ran means is, in my opinion, not what prayer time is about. Therefore; the pakistani maulvi saahib can simply explain the verses to the people before the prayers..and then the prayer can be spent appreciating the recitation. Agreed, that most imam's don't make you appreciate the Qu'ran..they make it an effort to listen to them..
                      Well said, but then again majority of the believers are not so fortunate as you or those who can afford to submit themselves to try and understand teachings of Quran.

What about the masses who cannot afford to have education, leave aside trying to understand the Quran. These are ppl with faith in a concept which is dependent upon the teachings of their elders, maulvis or traditions. Wud'nt it be better if they cud recite prayers which by the way is a very personal matter in a language which they understand?
                      Having said that, I go back to the first part, is this practice of arabic prayers compulsary by tradition, sunnah or edict of God?

Comment

Originally posted by Lajawab

I am a firm believer that every Muslim should be bi-lingual, so why shouldn't the second language be Arabic?

Instead of trying to make your hand fit the glove, you are trying to make the glove fit you hand...

Don't happen...You'll come out of its seams...
                        Teaching Arabic as a second language is also an option....but that doesnt respond to the issue at hand. Is there any edict from God, tradition of the Prophet which categorically states that prayers can only be dlivered in Arabic. If that is not the case then teaching of man made languages kis a subjective and relative issue.

Just one more point. What difference has Quran made on those who have the benefit of understanding its meaning??

Comment

There is a point for not offering prayers in any other language, that you will get away from the original script and meanings of Quran and imagine after 100 years every one will be offering prayers like other religions where they lost relations with the original books and depending on translations in their language, stick to the meaning of what ever translated. This is what happend with bible and that is why now you can see so many version of it.

If you notice that there are prayer books and Qurans available with translation and if you just read one page original text along with translation that has more value then finishing the whole Quran without understanding. I started doing that many years ago and Alhamdu-Lilah I feel that I can understand it much better and it helped me a lot understanding the purpose.

The above practice will not only help understand the Quran and prayers but also improve your Arabic knowledge.

I also have a version of Quran only in Urdu and belive me, that I never have the same feeling when I read it (like Arabic Quran with translation) .
                          Last edited by Bookworm; May 12, 2005, 04:56 AM.
                          There is always a moral in every story

Comment

agree with Lajawab.
                            there are few verses in the quran which state the importance of arabic language(have to look up the verses).
                            How do you supppose Hajj would be, it would be a chaos.

Comment

so chinese have to read arabic to understand about islam ?why anyone would go through
                              such a hardship? what language is fit for physics?

Comment

Working...
                              X