What is JIhad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is JIhad

People have been making remarks when a terrorist was caught in pakistan receently...some people say that people who are arresting these terrorists are commiting sins....
    I have some questions
    what is jihad?
    what osama is doing, is it call jihad?
    was killing innocent americans in WTC and giving muslims a bad name Jihad?
    was killing those poor school kids in Russia jihad?
    how can our mullahs or osama bi laden proclaim it as holy war and defame islam in a such a way?
    some people say that MQM also does Jihad? is that justified?
    People call Zullfiqar ali bhutto as shaheed bhutto ? what sort of jihad did he do?
    defining jihad in correct sense to our fellow non-muslims may change their perception about it...The main problem is that acts of terror are carried out on the name of islam...and that gives islam a very bad reputation
    My understanding is that Jihad means fighting against oppression. There can be Jihad within your own self(nafs) or defending anyone be it a person or a country against oppression. Even if that person or country is non-muslim. This means that if a muslim country had attacked a non-muslim country for wrong reasons and of they are commiting oppression against them..isn't it our duty as muslims to do jihad against even that muslim country....
    I know a lot of bad things have happened to many muslim countries...so should we start killing citizens of those countries in the name of islam and call it Jihad?
    Last edited by homer_j_simpson; May 7, 2005, 08:04 AM.
    Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Re: What is JIhad

Originally posted by homer_j_simpson
    what is jihad?
    what osama is doing, is it call jihad?
    was killing innocent americans in WTC and giving muslims a bad name Jihad?
    was killing those poor school kids in Russia jihad?
    I can argue that in fact this is jihad.
    Originally posted by homer_j_simpson
    how can our mullahs or osama bi laden proclaim it as holy war and defame islam in a such a way?
    Wait and tell me if Osama is not a hero of millions of Muslims? Why?

Comment

man i am asking a question from fellow muslims....your perception of jihad is the perception presented by media and by islamic extremists...you always seem to forget that if there are some muslims who favor these acts of terror, there are many muslims who condemn it... as far as I know that what has happened in WTC is not jihad or in russia....but thats why i wanna ask fellow muslims who may know better
      Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

http://www.al-huda.com/Nahjul%20Balagha%20FP.htm

Sher-Khuda say seekho jihad kiya hai......

Hazrath Ali did not tolerate mere mercenaries but did not let services of volunteers go unpaid. He hated murder and blood-shed and desired his soldiers to be soldiers in the service of God and religion. His strict orders to the army were, "always keep fear of God in your mind, remember that you cannot afford to do without His Grace. Remem_ber that Islam is a mission of peace and love. Keep the Holy prophet (A.S.) before you as a model of bravery, valour and piety. Do not kill anybody unless in self defence. Take care of your mounts and your arms, they are your best guards. Work hard while you are at it and then devote some time to rest and relaxation. Rest and relaxion are as much necessary for you as hard work. Do not let one overstep the time limit of the other. Do not pursue those who run away from an encounter and do not kill fleeing persons. Do not kill those who beg for life and mercy. Do not kill civilians. Do not pursue those who run away from an encounter and do not kill fleeing persons. Do not kill civilians. Do not outrage modesty of women. Do not harm old people and children. Do not accept any gifts from the civil population of any place. Do not billet your soldiers or officers in the houses of civilians. Do not forget to say your daily prayer. Fear God. Remember that death will inevitably come to every one of you some time or other, even if you are thousand of miles away from a battlefield; therefore be always ready to face death." He did not appreciate heavily armed and clad soldiers. He liked lighter swords, lighter bows and arrow, lighter coat of arms and ligh_ter chain of armours. He preferred to have an agile and a mobile army. I wish I had space at my disposal to translate parts from the books Aihgarath, Siraj-ul-Mobeen, Al_Murtaza and Kitab-e-Siffeen (as quoted by Ibne Abil Hadeed). They have discussed and narrated at some lenght his system of reorganizing the army, his principles of strategy and his tactics of war: how he divided the army into six units, beginning from van guard (Muquadamath-ul-Jaish) and ending it at the rear guards (Radah and Saqquah); how he arranged to cover every possibility of a retreat with the help of these units; how he sub_divided the cavalry into horse and camel units; and infantry into archers, swordsman and 'Mata'een' (soldiers armed with short lances which they threw with precision, skill and force); how he made the van guard responsible for scouting, pioneering and per_forming duties of sapper and Miners; how he used to arrange the army in a battle-field; how he never suffered a defeat in his life; how bold he was ; how he used to fight without protecting his body with armour or shield; how he never delivered more than one blow (mostly his one blow was sufficient to kill his opponent, if not he would give the opponent chance to get up and run away) and how nobody ever dared stand before him for his second blow. To him war was a pious duty to be performed only for the pourpose of defence.

He often declared "A Muslim's life is a battle-field, where he is seldom required to defend his self or his cause and country at the point of sword, which is Jehad-e_Asghar (Holy war on a minor scale), however formidable be the forces he is to face, while in every day of his life he is to fight against evil desires, vicious cravings and inordinate wishes, which is Jehad-e-Akber (A holy war on a major scale), take care and do not suffer a defeat in this battle; remember it is life long struggle; a success here will be honoured with martyrdom, even if one dies in his bed surrounded by his relatives".

Tum Karbala kay baad bhee Syed-Sajjad a.s. ho
        Koi or hota tou khatha Khuda koi nahin hai

Comment

Orders issued by Hazrath Ali to his officers and soldiers before a battle. As these orders give a clear indication of the principles and methods laid down by Hazrath Ali as to how Jehad (Holy War) should be carried on…

1. Never begin a war yourself, God does not like bloodshed, fight only in defence.

2. Never be first to attack your enemy, repulse his attacks, but do it boldly, bravely and courageously.

3. While declaring yourself and your deeds (Rajuz, a custom amongst hand to hand combatants) never waste your time. And instead of speaking about yourself speak about God and the Holy prophet (A.S.).

4. Never follow and kill those who run away from the battle or an encounter, life is dear to them, let them live as long as death permits them to live.

5. Never kill wounded persons who cannot defend themselves.

6. Never strip naked or a dead man for his coat of arms or dress.

7. Never cut nose or ears of dead men to humiliate them.

8. Never take to loot and arson.

9. Never molest or outrage the modesty of a woman.

10. Never hurt a woman even if she swears at you or hurts you.

11. Never hurt a child.

12. Never hurt an old or an enfeebled person.
          Tum Karbala kay baad bhee Syed-Sajjad a.s. ho
          Koi or hota tou khatha Khuda koi nahin hai

Comment

Originally posted by little human
            Orders issued by Hazrath Ali to his officers and soldiers before a battle. As these orders give a clear indication of the principles and methods laid down by Hazrath Ali as to how Jehad (Holy War) should be carried on…

1. Never begin a war yourself, God does not like bloodshed, fight only in defence.

2. Never be first to attack your enemy, repulse his attacks, but do it boldly, bravely and courageously.

3. While declaring yourself and your deeds (Rajuz, a custom amongst hand to hand combatants) never waste your time. And instead of speaking about yourself speak about God and the Holy prophet (A.S.).

4. Never follow and kill those who run away from the battle or an encounter, life is dear to them, let them live as long as death permits them to live.

5. Never kill wounded persons who cannot defend themselves.

a amercian mercenary shot dead a civilian in iraq infront of the present T.V. crew, even when he said he isn't a 'militia' man! afterwards the 2 mercenaries joked 'ah well he's dead now'.

6. Never strip naked or a dead man for his coat of arms or dress.

unless 1 lives in a igloo, every 1 know's about the indecent torture which was dished out @ abu ghraib prison @ the hands of the 'liberating' forces of america. tying leashes to iraqis' necks' dragging them naked through cells', stripping iraqi women and doing indecent stuff with them etc. putting naked iraqis' in 'uncomfortable' positions and taking nangi pictures!

7. Never cut nose or ears of dead men to humiliate them.

8. Never take to loot and arson.

9. Never molest or outrage the modesty of a woman.

as i said above, ABU GHRAIB

10. Never hurt a woman even if she swears at you or hurts you.

11. Never hurt a child.

plenty of innocent children killed in iraq since march 03' + afghanistan, many at the hands of us military! bombing bazaars' in iraq and even their laser guided bombs don't hit the correct targets!

12. Never hurt an old or an enfeebled person.
            having said all that, i'm with osama and our mujahideen-e-islam in phalasteen, chechniya, bosnia etc atleast unlike some they aren't sitting on their backsides and watching all this injustice. amercia called for it and now they r getting it.

it's funny how lots of ppl on here seem to feel 'more' for the victims of september 11 and believe the 'evience' provided by amercia. yet what is happening in iraq, afghanistan, chechniya etc doesn't seem to matter much, AREN'T THEY INNOCENT PPL 2????

Comment

chat - hmmmm, you do know that things happened prior to Iraq, right?
              "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy

"Someday we gonna rise up on that wind you know
              Someday we gonna dance with those lions
              Someday we gonna break free from these chains and keep on flyin'" - flipsyde

Comment

I once wrote the following in one of the old threads:
                ----

Apparently, according to my knowledge of Arabic, the word equivalent to Holy war can be Harb Al Qudusa... but I am unable to find it in the whole Quran, any hadith book or even in any Seerah book including the famous Ar Rahiq Al Makhtoom ...

While Islam in general is misunderstood in the western world, perhaps no other Islamic term evokes such strong reactions as the word ‘jihad’. The term ‘jihad’ has been much abused, to conjure up bizarre images of violent Muslims, forcing people to submit at the point of the sword. This myth was perpetuated throughout the centuries of mistrust during and after the Crusades. Unfortunately, it survives to this day.

The word jihad comes from the root word jahada, which means to struggle. So jihad is literally an act of struggling. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said that the greatest jihad is to struggle with the insidious suggestions of one’s own soul. Thus jihad primarily refers to the inner struggle of being a person of virtue and submission to God in all aspects of life.

Secondarily, jihad refers to struggle against injustice. Islam, like many other religions, allows for armed self-defense, or retribution against tyranny, exploitation, and oppression.

The Glorious Qur’an says:

• And why should ye not fight in the cause of God and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)? - Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"
                [Al-Qur’an 4: 75]

Thus Islam enjoins upon its believers to strive utmost, in purifying themselves, as well as in establishing peace and justice in the society. A Muslim can never be at rest when she sees injustice and oppression around her. As Martin Luther King Jr. said:
                • “We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.”

Islam enjoins upon all Muslims to work actively to maintain the balance in which God created everything. However, regardless of how legitimate the cause may be, the Glorious Qur’an never condones the killing of innocent people. Terrorizing the civilian population can never be termed asjihad and can never be reconciled with the teachings of Islam.
                Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

mina things happened after september 11 as well, no!

Comment

This isn't the forum for this so I am being brief, sorry, but we were attacked first and afterwards were results of that without going into specifics. Going just by the code laid out, retaliation was a right we took.

But mostly I just want to point out perspective here also. My perspective as an American will be different from yours. We were attacked, you would say it has nothing to do with it or it wasn't related but I say it does, etc etc etc.

There is no right (even on our end) given to attack someone and to kill. Only in defense of your life or the life of your family.

Anwaar - my husband said it meaned basically struggle and explained it as the struggle to be a just, and honest Muslim strong in conviction (shortened it here). I like your explaination, too.

Comment

Originally posted by minah_pa
                      but we were attacked first and afterwards were results of that without going into specifics.
                      lol. Sure?

anyhow I think Anwar did a good job at explaining it.
                      "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

I agree M_Q and no, not sure, lol, just trying to put another perpective up there

Comment

Originally posted by minah_pa
                          no, not sure,
                          not sure?
                          why not?

do u think there was a background of those events?
                          Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

I don't believe that they were related, Iraq was thrown in on the tail of 9-11 out of convience (sp?) not because Iraq and 9-11 were related, that is what I meant by that.

I don't believe we were justifed in our actions there in relation to this topic.

Comment

let me rephrase:

so do you think there was a background of 9-11?

Comment

Working...
                              X