Are you a materialist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you a materialist?

Materialism is a philosophy that is based on the following foundational principle

A thing is said to exist if,
    1. It can be directly observed by our senses OR
    2. It's existence can be logically deduced from direct observation by our senses
    Anything that doesn't meet the above criteria cannot be considered as existing.

Are you a materialist? Do you agree with the above principle?

If not, how do you refute it?
    Last edited by krash; Feb 3, 2021, 12:15 PM.

Up until very recently there was no proof of gravitational waves, it is theorised that there are multiple universes, light can bend etc. Hawkings had asserted that it is beyond the capacity of a human brain to understand the universe.

Comment

• krash
      krash commented
      Editing a comment
      Materialists don't claim that they understand all the phenomena or will one day understand them all. They claim that if anything is understood it will only be in materialistic terms.

Originally posted by krash View Post
    Materialism is a philosophy that is based on the following foundational principle

A thing is said to exist if,
    1. It can be directly observed by our senses
    2. It's existence can be logically deduced from direct observation by our senses
    Anything that doesn't meet the above criteria cannot be considered as existing.

Are you a materialist? Do you agree with the above principle?

If not, how do you refute it?
    I'd argue that consciousness does not meet both of the criteria's mentioned above, in the sense that we cannot directly observe it on any level, just the actions that result from having a consciousness, and yet it seems to be a scientifically proven fact.

Taking that into consideration, I would say that I am not a materialist. However, I'm no expert.
    "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

• krash
      krash commented
      Editing a comment
      But, can you logically deduce the existence of consciousness from actions that result from having a consciousness?

• a7mado
      a7mado commented
      Editing a comment
      Because at the end of the day, consequences have to be attributed to something, right?

krash thanks for your comment in light of that I can say I maybe a materialist. In regards to consciousness it is all billions of electrical circuits and chemicals and it is very conceivable that a human consciousness can be downloaded on a computer

Comment

I beg to differ with the given definition. This looks more like realistic may be? unless i had a different defo in mind. Looks complicated either way
      Attitude is more important than facts.
      "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

• krash
        krash commented
        Editing a comment
        What is your definition of a materialist?

Nopes, not a materialist.
      Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

Have you ever had a dream or vision about something, only for that vision to later come true? (I Have) So I believe it is not all about Materials ; there are a lot things happen that No one can explain!

Have you ever been accused of reading someone else's thoughts? Or have you ever known something about the past that you couldn't have possibly experienced or lived through? If so, then you may just have extrasensory perception.

Extrasensory perception (ESP) refers to the ability to obtain information about the world around you without using the normal five senses of sight, touch, taste, hearing, and smell. The basic assumption behind extrasensory perception is that humans can experience things that go beyond the capabilities of the known senses. The term extrasensory perception was popularized by Joseph Banks Rhine in 1934. Rhine, a professor at Duke University at the time, conducted several experiments that he believed proved the existence of extrasensory perception, though many scientists have challenged his findings and methods. Not all people believe that extrasensory perception exists.

Balaghal-ula bi-kamaalihi / Kashafad-duja bi-jamaalihi / Hasunat jameeu khisaalihi / Sallu alaihi wa aalihi

Comment

Ok dont throw eggs but in my mind a materialist is the one who evaluates everything on its net market value. Like the one who doesnt care about emotions or intangible things (again since these have no market value).
          Attitude is more important than facts.
          "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
            Ok dont throw eggs but in my mind a materialist is the one who evaluates everything on its net market value. Like the one who doesnt care about emotions or intangible things (again since these have no market value).
            Krash was asking from a philosophical perspective.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210205-141538__01.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	16695930

Comment

• krash
              krash commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Exactly. Thanks LP

• SID_NY
              SID_NY commented
              Editing a comment
              Aah, see we both are right. I had a non-philosophical defo in mind

Originally posted by LP View Post
            Nopes, not a materialist.
            So, what is your refutation?

Comment

Could people who are religious be materialist? Some believe pandemic is because of homosexuality?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
                Could people who are religious be materialist?
                I don't think so because in most religions we believe in a God who is not observable by our senses.

Comment

• krash
                  krash commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree. However, there are also people who have turned materialism into a pseudo-religion

• LP
                  LP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  krash , that's kinda true too

Originally posted by LP View Post
                I don't think so because in most religions we believe in a God who is not observable by our senses.
                In case of faith it is not only limited to believing in in observable things but actively denying observable things, there is undeniable evidence of evolution and yet in order to maintain faith many have to deny it. Many other facts.

Comment

In case of faith it is not only limited to believing in in observable things but actively denying observable things, there is undeniable evidence of evolution and yet in order to maintain faith many have to deny it. Many other facts.
                  This is true. Many people of faith deny observable facts. Many also insist that the non-material reality they believe in is also observable similar to material reality ("supernatural materialism").
                  I think this is not true faith. This is a distortion of faith ("Aiteqaad"). Domain of true faith is reality that is not directly observable (or logically deducible from direct observation) but can be known in other ways.

Comment

I won't dissect the post and respond. All I'll say is, to each his own.

Comment

Working...
                    X