Are you a materialist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LP View Post
    I won't dissect the post and respond. All I'll say is, to each his own.
    I can totally respect that if everyone leaves each other alone but there is a lot of violence and atrocities done against each other by mainly religious people of all faiths

Comment

Originally posted by krash View Post
      I agree. However, there are also people who have turned materialism into a pseudo-religion
      Can you kindly give some examples and if there are any significant number of those kinds of people who might tend to behead someone on account of not believing in evolutioin? I am aware of communism totalitarianism and I dont subscribe to that but humanism. I guess love and compassion are not part of materialism and yet many feel compassion and love for others even when there is nothing to be gained and also love for animals. So how does materialism explain a man diving into frigid waters to save a dog?
      Last edited by Bobby1; Feb 6, 2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post

Can you kindly give some examples and if there are any significant number of those kinds of people who might tend to behead someone on account of not believing in evolution? I am aware of communism totalitarianism and I dont subscribe to that but humanism. I guess love and compassion are not part of materialism and yet many feel compassion and love for others even when there is nothing to be gained and also love for animals. So how does materialism explain a man diving into frigid waters to save a dog?
        You gave the best example yourself - totalitarian communism based on something called dialectical materialism. But that is not how all materialists or humanists are.
        I am not in any way saying that those who are non-religious, either materialist or humanist, are lacking in ethical or compassionate behavior. Often, you can see them take these values more seriously than others.

Comment

Originally posted by krash View Post

You gave the best example yourself - totalitarian communism based on something called dialectical materialism. But that is not how all materialists or humanists are.
          I am not in any way saying that those who are non-religious, either materialist or humanist, are lacking in ethical or compassionate behavior. Often, you can see them take these values more seriously than others.
          I feel if Chinese Communists ever gained the position of dominant super power they will commit massive genocides, we need secular thinking combined with humanism otherwise math alone makes a great case for annihilations, genocides and enslavements etc.

Comment

OP, are you a materialist? Can you explain more about it?
            Attitude is more important than facts.
            "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
              OP, are you a materialist? Can you explain more about it?
              I am not a materialist. I believe that material reality is only one dimension of a vaster reality. Divine Reality is the ultimate dimension. And there are intermediate dimensions , like spiritual and imaginal. Sometimes the phrase used is levels of reality. However, I think dimension is a better metaphor than levels because dimensions interpenetrate each other.

How these dimensions affect the material dimension is an interesting question and very hard to answer. Certainly not through some kind of supernatural intervention. More like through guiding the chain of cause and effect - not from outside but by pervading it from the inside.

If you guys have time take a look at this half hour video.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM12...mesS.Cutsinger

Comment

• SID_NY
                SID_NY commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks for explaining but honestly i'm still confused with the definition of materialism. call me knucklehead will watch the vid
            Working...
            X