Istikhara..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Istikhara..

Fortune telling is a major sin in Islam, then why do some people claim that Istikhara is a tool to tell them future out come? Isnt it a prayer to seek Allah's help before major undertakings and to use it like there will be dreams after with premonitions is Kuffr in my opinion. Can someone post materials about dreams predicting future? Where does it say there will be dreams predicting future?

Make Intention for Istikhāra

2Pray 2 Rakaʿāt of Prayer

3Recite the duʿāʾ of istikhāra and mention your need

Duʿāʾ al-Istikhāra

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْتَخِيرُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ وَأَسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ، وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ الْعَظِيمِ، فَإِنَّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلاَ أَقْدِرُ وَتَعْلَمُ وَلاَ أَعْلَمُ وَأَنْتَ عَلاَّمُ الْغُيُوبِ، اللَّهُمَّ إِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الأَمْرَ ‭[mention decision here]‬ خَيْرٌ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي فَاقْدُرْهُ لِي وَيَسِّرْهُ لِي ثُمَّ بَارِكْ لِي فِيهِ، وَإِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الأَمْرَ شَرٌّ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي فَاصْرِفْهُ عَنِّي وَاصْرِفْنِي عَنْهُ، وَاقْدُرْ لِي الْخَيْرَ حَيْثُ كَانَ ثُمَّ أَرْضِنِي بِهِ
    Transliteration / Audio

English Translation

Dear God, I’m asking You for goodness through Your [Infinite] Knowledge, and I’m asking You for strength through Your Divine Ability, and I’m asking You from Your Infinite Grace. Because You’re completely able to do, while I simply cannot. You know everything, and I do not, and You know everything that’s unseen. Dear God, if You know that this decision [mention decision here] is good for me in terms of my religiosity, my worldly life, and afterlife, then decree it, facilitate it for me with ease, and bless me through it. But if You know that this has bad consequences on my religiosity, my worldly life, and afterlife, then get it away from me and get me away from it, and [instead of that] decree what’s better for me, whatever it may be, and make me content with it.

You might receive guidance through a dream after istikhara, but it's not necessary. Desis, in general, have made istikhara very complicated. It's a very simple procedure. Istikhara is not about knowing the future. If something is good for you, Allah will allow it to happen. If it's not good for you, He won't allow it to happen.

I had received several job offers once and 1 of them was very close to home and in a nice location. I prayed istikhara and asked Allah to give me the job that is best for me. I went for the interviews and I did my best with them. One of the options was rather far away from my home, but I got a good vibe when I went in for my interview. I ended up getting hired and though there have been some ups and downs, I like being there. I don't have any regrets that Allah closed down the other options.

Dreams can be of 3 categories: from Allah, from Shaitan, or from your own nafs/thoughts. The Prophet SAWS said that as we get closer to Judgement day, the dreams of the believer will come true because they are said to be 1/46 of prophecy. Have people seen dreams about future events that have come true and cannot be attributed to the conscious and subconscious thoughts that they have during the day? Yes, people have had such dreams. Just because someone has never had that experience doesn't mean that nobody else can have it either....and that is not reason enough to dismiss a person's experience. Skeptical minds struggle with understanding and are prone to dismissing so it's better not to debate the matter with them.

Lastly, determining someone's current state of affairs and their future based on their posts.......is more like "fortune-telling" than istikhara.

Comment

@Bobby1 Can someone post materials about dreams predicting future? Where does it say there will be dreams predicting future?
      Please note the story of the Pharoun in the Holy Quran mentions at the time of Prophet Yusuf ES saw these dreams of Lean Cows eating Healthy Cows! and the Pharoun did not know what these dreams meant?

But one of his courtiers remembered that there was this man in the Pharoun's Jail who could interpret dreams!

Hence Prophet Yusuf ES was brought out of Jail and He interpreted the Pharoun's Dreams! which by doing so He ES was appointed to the High Office in charge of the Pharoun's Granaries!.....

Remmember???

Does this answer your Question about dreams?

Good Dreams come under this!...........

However NIGHTMARES DO NOT come under this! ..........

People do have Nightmares..........and those are usually caused by many different reasons and are Hard to explain...
      Balaghal-ula bi-kamaalihi / Kashafad-duja bi-jamaalihi / Hasunat jameeu khisaalihi / Sallu alaihi wa aalihi

Comment

They have recently discovered that dogs dream also. Dreams may come true or may not but planning, strategies, hard work, motivation, good attitude are better predictors of future. redvelvet my wife thinks I am a psychic as I predicted futures of many people, not because I had dreams but I know poor attitude and personal traits lead to bad life.

Comment

• redvelvet
          redvelvet commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadqay......did you also predict that your first wife would take you for granted and treat you like chit and throw a shoe at you? Did you predict that you would be so disliked on this forum as well and that many, many members will be unconvinced about your great life?

Did you predict that Sam would be an emotional blackmailer and that you should stay out of her way and not fall into her emotional trap to marry you?

You're not a fortune teller. You're a cartoon.

• Bobby1
          Bobby1 commented
          Editing a comment
          redvelvet I would marry my first wife all over again, different people seek different things in life. And Sam is a gift from God to me. Classy, beautiful. funny, hardworking, financially independent. Sometimes I am in disbelief that she chose me.

• redvelvet
          redvelvet commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL. Sam had no choice but to choose you. Anything can happen in a mind unhampered by pills.

Kitaab At-Tawheed, Chapter: 24

What Has Been Said About Fortune-tellers and Their Like

Muslim has narrated, on the authority of one of the wives of the Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) (Hafsah - may Allah be pleased with her), that Allah's Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) said:

"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked him about some matter (i.e. of the unseen) and believed him, will have his prayer rejected for forty days."

The Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) informs us in this Hadith that if anyone visited a fortune-teller and asked him about a matter of the unseen - about which, in reality, none possesses knowledge except Allah - and believed in what fortune teller said, Allah will not accept his prayers, nor reward them for forty days - and this is a punishment for the major sin which he has committed.

Benefits Derived From This Hadith

1. The prohibition of fortune-telling.

2. The forbiddance of believing the prophesies of soothsayers and fortune-tellers.

3. That a person may lose the reward of his prayers as a punishment for his sins.

Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of the Chapter

That the Hadith proves the forbiddance of fortune-telling and the belief in it.

Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of Tawheed

That the Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) has condemned whoever visits a fortune-teller for he has made him a partner with Allah in possessing knowledge of the unseen.

Important Note

It has been mentioned by the scholars - may Allah have mercy on them - that whoever believed in what the fortune-teller says does not have to repeat his prayers for this period of forty days, but that he receives no reward for them.

..ooOOoo..

It is reported on the authority of Abu Hurairah (ra) that the Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) said:

"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and believed in what he said, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad."

The Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) informs us in this Hadith, that whoever visited a fortune-teller and asked him about the unseen and believed in his words, has committed an act of disbelief in the Qur'an and Sunnah, this is because both of these Revelations have belied fortune-telling, for Allah is Alone in His Knowledge of the unseen.

1. The forbiddance of fortune-telling.

2. The accusation of lying against the fortune-teller.

3. That believing the words of fortune-tellers is considered disbelief.1

4. That the Qur'an is revealed, not created.

That the Hadith proves clearly that the fortune-teller is a disbeliever.

That the Hadith is clear evidence that fortune-telling is kufr; this is because the fortune-teller depends upon methods of shirk.

The same thing was narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah by "the four"2 and by Al-Haakim, who said that it is authentic according to the strict conditions of acceptance laid down by Bukhari and Muslim.

It has also been reported, with a good sanad, on the authority of Abu Y'alaa (ra) that he said the same thing, but in a mawqoof form.3

..ooOOoo..

On the authority of `Imran Ibn Husain (ra), in a marfoo' form, it is reported: "Whoever practises at-tiyarah, or tells fortunes or seeks advice from a fortune-teller, or practises magic or asks another to do so, is not one of us; and whoever goes to a soothsayer and believes what he tells him has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad." (Narrated by Al-Bazzaar, with a good Sanad and by At-Tabarani, in his book, Al-Awsat, with a good sanad, but without the words: "...and whoever goes to a soothsayer etc...")

In this Hadith, the Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him) declares himself free and innocent of three kinds of people: (i) The one who seeks omens or their interpretation, (ii) the one who tells fortunes or seeks advice from fortune-tellers and (iii) the one who practises magic, or seeks the services of a magician. Then He (may Peace Be Upon Him) adds, as an extra warning to the fortune-teller and his clients, that whoever believes in the words of the fortune-teller has disbelieved in the Revelation (the Qur'an and the Sunnah) given to him (may Peace Be Upon Him); this is because Allah and His Messenger (may Peace Be Upon Him) have informed us that knowledge of the unseen is only with Allah , therefore belief in the fortune-teller is a rejection of Allah's Words and those of His Prophet (may Peace Be Upon Him).

1. The prohibition of interpreting omens, of sorcery and fortune-telling.

2. The forbiddance of seeking these three things.

3. That believing the prophesies of the fortune-teller is kufr.

4. That the Qur'an is Revelation, not created.

That the Hadith proves without doubt, that the fortune-teller is a disbeliever.

That the Hadith proves without question, that the fortune-teller is a disbeliever, because he depends upon shirk in order to predict the future.

Muhammad Ibn `Abdil Wahhab says: "Al-Baghawi said: "The seer (al-'arraaf) who claims to know the unseen depends upon knowledge stolen (by the jinn, who overheard it from the lowest heaven) and falsehood and the like; It has been said that he is the same as the fortune-teller (al-kaahin), but the latter is, in fact, one who claims knowledge of the unseen events of the future. It has also been said that he is one who knows the secrets of the mind." Abul `Abbas Ibn Taimiyah said: "The seer is a name for the fortune-teller, the astrologer, the thrower of sand, and all those who claim knowledge of these matters by such means." Ibn `Abbas (ra) said, concerning a people who wrote Abaajaad 4 and practised astrology: "I do not consider that those who do this will have any share (of blessings or redith

Comment

^Irrelevant, in my opinion.

If you’re trying to denounce istikhara as fortune-telling, then shame on you. Even bigger shame on you for doing so as a Syed (or so you claim). We do not turn to any human for istikhara. We seek guidance and protection from Allah alone in istikhara and it was a common practice among the sahaba.

Change the title of this thread because it sounds foolish. It also begs the question as to whether Bob is the preacher who is giving us the lessons or whether he’s the humble student that is trying to develop his Islamic knowledge. Since we know that Bob is not in the habit of being humble, I lean toward the former.

Comment

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post

If you’re trying to denounce istikhara as fortune-telling, then shame on you. Even bigger shame on you for doing so as a Syed (or so you claim). We do not turn to any human for istikhara. We seek guidance and protection from Allah alone in istikhara and it was a common practice among the sahaba.

Change the title of this thread because it sounds foolish. It also begs the question as to whether Bob is the preacher who is giving us the lessons or whether he’s the humble student that is trying to develop his Islamic knowledge. Since we know that Bob is not in the habit of being humble, I lean toward the former.
            His motives are always very clear and obvious. He doesn't even try to be subtle or discreet.

Comment

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post

Shame on people who cant get away from their past involving shirk of fortune telling and misusing religion for tona totka, what if one had indigestion and had a bad dream about a good rishta, would you than claim God was wrong, as Syed I need to prevent my faith from Mushriks and people who use the book as guidence like magic, Here is an answer from Islamic scholar.

Salam,

I'm just curious enough to know as to whether you've gone ahead with the marriage or not? Because I just had an istikhaara done too and he asked for my name, my mum's name along with the guy's name and his parents name and he also said that it would be unsuccessful and will result in a divorce shortly after marriage and with that being said, I'm scared to go ahead with the marriage but I also want to really marry this guy.

Thanks.

• Wael
                December 21, 2014 • 8:26 pm
                M, what you "had done" was not istikhara, and was little more than fortune-telling, which is a form of shirk. Istikhara is a personal prayer that you perform to Allah yourself, with a specific form of dua' which was taught by the Prophet Muhammad (sws). After praying Istikhara you make the decision you think is best, and trust that Allah is responding to your dua' by guiding you to what is good for you.

Wael
                IslamicAnswers.com Editor

Comment

• krash
                krash commented
                Editing a comment
                Wael
                December 21, 2014 • 8:26 pm
                M, what you "had done" was not istikhara, and was little more than fortune-telling, which is a form of shirk. Istikhara is a personal prayer that you perform to Allah yourself, with a specific form of dua' which was taught by the Prophet Muhammad (sws). After praying Istikhara you make the decision you think is best, and trust that Allah is responding to your dua' by guiding you to what is good for you.

Wael
                IslamicAnswers.com Editor

This is the truth about istikhara

redvelvet let me help you by correcting your Deen, Here is another answer by Shaykh.

My mother said that we can do istakhara by Qur'an i.e after reading durood fatiha and other duas, we open the Quran, turn 7 pages and then look at the 7th line. The first letter will indicate the answer. Is this correct?

Answered By
              Dr. Bilal Philips
              Subject
              Islamic Education

Your mother is mistaken. She is combining numerology (which is forbidden) with fortune telling (strongly forbidden). [1] The method of interpretation of one's istikhaarah [2] prayer is in accordance with the contents of the prayer itself and no other way. Especially rejected are dreams as a source of interpretation.

References:

[1] http://islamqa.info/en/125707

[2] http://islamqa.info/en/11981
              Last edited by Bobby1; Jul 24, 2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Peace Bobby1,

Those who have correct knowledge will never claim that Istikhara is a tool to tell future outcome nor will say that guidance will be received through dreams. I agree with you that after doing Istikhara, guidance will receive through dreams.

After doing Istikhara, one's heart will be in calm while doing that specific work and he/she will be feel inner peace. On the other hand, he/she may feel uncomfortable while doing that specific work. I'll try to elaborate in another way for our better understating:-

While committing a sin, either openly or secretly, we feel uncomfortable and sometime even we afraid to do so. Contrary to this, while doing any good deed, we find peace, calmness and happiness inside us by doing it. Why? Because when we offer salaath we utter "....Thine aid we seek. Show us the straight way.....(Chapter 1)". So this is the effect of our prayer which we uttered while performing salaath and because of that we feel comfortable and uncomfortable. This is the help from Allah Almighty.

Doing Istikhara is like performing special salaath (other than compulsory salaath) for some special work/reason and outcome of it can be felt by doing practically not at unconscious state i.e., while sleeping or dreaming.

Almighty Allah knows best.

Never explain urself to any1 The person who likes u doesn't need it &The person who dislike u won't believe it

Comment

Let me shove some sense in your brain.

Istikhara is not done by seeking the guy's name or the girl's name or their mother's name or anyone's name. Istikhara need not be something your request others to do on your behalf. Istikhara is something you can do for yourself and you can repeat it until you reach a conclusion. It is not necessary that one should get a dream, but it can be one mode of guidance.

People's experiences with istikhara vary. There were times that I saw dreams after doing istikhara which I took into consideration.........but I still waited for an concrete real-life outcome to my situation. And the outcome would align with my dream. Once I did isitkhara regarding how I should approach a matter and the guidance was given to me in a dream and after that dream my heart inclined toward a certain decision.

Istikhara is a simple procedure, but it's one of those things that can be hard to explain to someone. Scholars say that after doing istikhara your heart will "incline" toward one situation or the other. Well guess what? Inclining of the heart ....and feelings of the heart........are hard to explain to people. If you try to explain the feeling in your heart to someone (such as a parent or a friend or whomever) whose feelings/opinion/stance are in OPPOSITION toward you..........they can easily dismiss your heart's inclination as well.

If you are here to mock and twist..........then laanat on you. Run along and play under your wife's skirt. It's a wonder this man spends 90% of his day convincing strangers of his great life on a forum instead of actually living that greatness.

Comment

redvelvet I will mock the laanntis who use the holy book for kufr of tona totka, and fortune telling. Deen is a way of life and Istikhara is seeking goodness, observing your viciousness seems like goodness has never come close to you. Allah guides and rewards good people

Comment

• redvelvet
                      redvelvet commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If the person you cast the laanat toward is undeserving of it, then the laanat is said to turn around and strike the person (in this case, you) who cast it. My Allah knows that I don't use the Quran for tona-totka.

Allah has witnessed me and my actions.............whereas YOU never have. Since you have falsely accused me (which is a sin in Islam), may your lanat turn around strike you.

The only fortune-teller in this place who likes to play God is you. You make assumptions about people that you never witnessed with your own 2 eyes. At least everything that we mock you with was first uttered by you.

As wonderful as you believe yourself to be, the reality is that you are not well-received on this forum. One can connect the dots. Your personality is so difficult that I doubt even one wife can tolerate you, let alone 2. It's gotta be much easier to plant yourself on an online forum with 2-D strangers whose rejection must be easier to endure than that of people in real life.

Originally posted by lethal kamikaze View Post
                    Peace Bobby1,

Those who have correct knowledge will never claim that Istikhara is a tool to tell future outcome nor will say that guidance will be received through dreams. I agree with you that after doing Istikhara, guidance will receive through dreams.

After doing Istikhara, one's heart will be in calm while doing that specific work and he/she will be feel inner peace. On the other hand, he/she may feel uncomfortable while doing that specific work. I'll try to elaborate in another way for our better understating:-

While committing a sin, either openly or secretly, we feel uncomfortable and sometime even we afraid to do so. Contrary to this, while doing any good deed, we find peace, calmness and happiness inside us by doing it. Why? Because when we offer salaath we utter "....Thine aid we seek. Show us the straight way.....(Chapter 1)". So this is the effect of our prayer which we uttered while performing salaath and because of that we feel comfortable and uncomfortable. This is the help from Allah Almighty.

Doing Istikhara is like performing special salaath (other than compulsory salaath) for some special work/reason and outcome of it can be felt by doing practically not at unconscious state i.e., while sleeping or dreaming.

Almighty Allah knows best.

Brother my understanging is Istikhara prayer should not be limited to special work or reason, we can seek goodness and guidence all the time. I have noticed that people who are polite, courteous and good people and just thru their good behaviors they met people thru grace of Allah who changed their lives. Every seccond we make decisions that can change lives

It can also seve as a self reflection, as Socrates said a life not re examined is a life not worth livibg. We can look at our soul and see if there is goodness in us. Why people who claim to be religious can be nasty, rude, abusive and aggressive, So after saying the prayer for seeking the right path and guidence we can see if our actions are fitting a person who is on the right path.

Comment

redvelvet It is not my goal to be liked by people who cause harm to the faith by twisting it and whose actions have given us a bad reputation in the world. I am to challenge, bigots racists sexists and not to be liked by them. Should I seek approval of some guy who was abusive to his wife as she was not obedient. Should I seek approval of someone who will not raise his voice against Saudi atrocities in Yemen.

Comment

• redvelvet
                      redvelvet commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know there's no cure for narcissism. But you should still seek therapy for it, Mr. Swaleh.

redvelvet People find me kind and humble. I drive the cheapest car out of 5 I purchased. I dont spend money on expensive watches, clothes and shoes. There are religious narcassists who claim to be better than the people who gave them refuge, attack the fabric of society they live in. attack the social liberties and human rights just to elevate their underwhelming life.

Comment

Working...
                    X