(significance) when Allah delivered Hazrat Musa ('Alaihis-Salaam) and his
    people and drowned Pharoah and his people, and Sayyidina Musa
    ('Alaihis-Salaam) observed fast out of gratitude. And we also observe it."
    The Holy Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) responded: "We
    have more right, and we have closer connection with Sayyidina Musa
    ('Alaihis-Salaam) than you have"; so Allah’s Messenger (Sallallahu ‘alayhi
    wa Sallam) observed fast (on the day of ‘Ashura) and gave us orders to
    observe it. [Sahih Bukhari and Muslim]
    It is Makruh to fast on the 10th of Muharram (Ashura Day).

Here i am sharing this article please read.

Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi
    Vol VIII No. 3 & 4

Some traditions are found in Sunni books to the effect that the Prophet (s.a.w.) on migrating to Medina found the Jews fasting on the 10th of Muharram. He asked them why, and was told: "It is an auspicious day; it is the day when God delivered the children of Israel from their enemy (i.e. Pharaoh); and, therefore, Moses fasted on that day." The Prophet (s.a.w.) said, "I am worthier of Moses than you are." Thereupon, he fasted on that day and ordered (the Muslims) to fast.

1. al-Sahih of al-Bukhari, Vol.3; Egypt ed.; p.54

2. Mishkatul-Masabih; Delhi ed.; 1307 A.H.; p.l72

It is noted by the commentator of Mishkatul-Masabih that "it was in the second year, because in the first year the Prophet had arrived at Medina after 'Ashura, in Rabi'ul-awwal."

How much importance was this fast supposed to have may be judged from another tradition narrated in al-Sahih of. al-Bukhari: "The Prophet (s.a.w.) ordered a man from the (tribe of) Aslam: Announce to the people that whoever has eaten should fast the rest of the day, and whoever has not eaten should fast (the whole day), because today is the 'Ashura (10th day of Muharram)."

That very year the fast of Ramadan was ordained and the obligation to fast on 'Ashura was abrogated, as has been claimed in other traditions narrated in the same book. Still, reportedly, it carries much importance as a voluntary fast.

Now let us look closely at these traditions:
    First: The Jews had their own calendar and months. There is no logic in saying that they fasted on the 10th of Muharram - unless it could be proved that this date always coincided with a Jewish day of fast.
    It was mentioned in my article, "Martyrdom of Imam Husayn and the Muslim and the Jewish Calendars" (Alserat, Vol.VI, No's 3 & 4; Muharram 1401 Nov.1980) that the first month of the Jews (Abib, later named Nisan) coincided with Rajab of the Arabs. W.O.E.Oesterley and Theodore H.Robinson have written that in Arabia "the most important of all the new-moon festivals was that which fell in the month of Ragab (sic), equivalent to the Hebrew month 'Abib, for this was the time when the ancient Arabs celebrated the Spring festival." (Hebrew Religion; S.P.C.K., London; 1955; p.128)

Probably, in ancient times the two branches of Abraham's house followed the same system of intercalating an additional month 7 times in a cycle of 19 years. And in this way the 7th Jewish month, Tishri I, coincided with Muharram. And the 'Ashura of Muharram synchronized with 10th of Tishri I, the Jewish Day of Atonement - a day of fast. In that article, it was observed that the two calendars lost their synchronization when Islam, in the 9th year of hijra, disallowed intercalation. But on deeper consideration it transpired that that parity was lost long before the advent of Islam, because the Arabs did not follow any mathematical calculation in their intercalation. That was why the Muharram of the 2nd year of Hijra began on 5th July, 623 C.E. (Al-Munjid, 21st ed.), months before Tishri I (which always coincides with September-October).

Clearly, 'Ashura of Muharram in that year (or, for that matter, during the Prophet's whole life at Medina) had no significance whatsoever for the Jews.

The question is: Why did they fast on that day?
    Second: The Jewish Midrashic literature relates the 10th day of the 7th month (Yom Hakippurim - Day of Atonement) to the event of bringing the tablets of the Covenant from Mount Sinai, as Dr. Mishael Maswari-Caspi has written in his letter, quoted in my previous article, mentioned above.

The question is: If the Jews had wanted to keep the long-lost synchronization of Tishri I and Muharram in view, how was it that they forgot to narrate this tradition to the Prophet?
    Third: The month in which God delivered the Israelites from Pharaoh was Abib (i.e. Rajab), as the Bible clearly says: "Observe the month of Abib, and keep the passover unto the Lord thy God: for in the month of Abib the Lord thy God brought thee forth out of Egypt by night." (Deut., 16:1)

The question is: How could the Jews transfer an event of Abib (originally coinciding with Rajab) to Muharram, in open defiance of their Torah?
    And lastly here is a point to ponder for the Muslims: The Prophet (s.a.w.) was sent with a religion to abrogate all previous religions and shari'ah. How was it that he deigned to imitate the custom of the Jews?
    It is clear from above-mentioned facts that the Jews had no reason at all to fast on 'Ashura of Muharram at that period; and this story, built on that premise, is just that - a fiction. Obviously, it was invented by a narrator who only knew that once upon a time Muharram coincided with the Jews' Tishri I; but was totally unaware of contemporary Jewish religion and culture.

One feels constrained to mention here that this and other such traditions were forged by camp-followers of the Umayyads, after the martyrdom of Imam Husayn, as a part of their campaign to turn the 10th of Muharram into a day of rejoicing. These traditions are of the same genre as those which say that it was on the 10th of Muharram that Noah's ark rested on Mount Arafat, the fire became cool and safe for Abraham, and Jesus ascended to the heaven. In the same category came the traditions exhorting the Muslims to treat 'Ashura as a festival of joy, and to store one's food-grain on this very day as it would increase one's sustenance and bring the blessings of Allah to the household.

Comment

inuit...

Sorry, but that's too much mumbo jumbo for me to make head or tails of it...The Holy Prophet :saw: fasted on the 10th of Moharram, so I fast on the 10th...
      Focus not on who you are but what you do...
      ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Re: Re: [fasting] Ashoura

Originally posted by inuit:
        One feels constrained to mention here that this and other such traditions were forged by camp-followers of the Umayyads, after the martyrdom of Imam Husayn, as a part of their campaign to turn the 10th of Muharram into a day of rejoicing. These traditions are of the same genre as those which say that it was on the 10th of Muharram that Noah's ark rested on Mount Arafat, the fire became cool and safe for Abraham, and Jesus ascended to the heaven. In the same category came the traditions exhorting the Muslims to treat 'Ashura as a festival of joy, and to store one's food-grain on this very day as it would increase one's sustenance and bring the blessings of Allah to the household.

this is a good joke....

if u dont want to fast, dont fast man, its not obligatory, but dont bring out all so many excuses....

btw, whose memory wud u prefer, a prophet or a relative of a prophet????
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Adding to Lajjo, Prophet Muhammad :saw: was used to Fast way before the event of Karbala...so the Fasting is not relataed the Karbala event...(as far as my understanding is...correct me iff)

Gari aur bivi aisi honi chahyay kay banda saath khara ho to apni lagay

Ya Allah Bhagwaan ko bhi Muslim bana day ...

Comment

Interesting argument and counter-argument. I suppose ppl will keep on following what they deem is more authentic argument.
            "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: [fasting] Ashoura

Originally posted by armughal:

whose memory wud u prefer, a prophet or a relative of a prophet????
              both way its same. Rasullalah (saww) said it himself:

The Messenger of Allah said: "Husain is from me and I am from Husain."

Sunni references:
              (1) Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v4, p172
              (2) Fadha'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Hanbal, v2, p772, Tradition #1361
              (3) al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p 177
              (4) Amali, by Abu Nu'aym al-Isbahani, p 64
              (5) al-Kuna wal Asmaa, by al-Dulabi, v1, p88
              (6) al-Tabarani, v3, p21
              (7) Adab by al-Bukhari, also al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah, as quoted in:
              (8) al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar Haythami, Ch. 11, section 3, p291
              (9) Mishkat al-Masabih, by Khatib al-Tabrizi, English Version, Tdadition #6160

And yes, you should be thankful to that "reletive" of Rasullalah(saww) (who happend to be grandson of Rasullalah for you informations). You would'nt be calling your self muslim today if he did'nt sacrifice his life and family to save the religion of Allah.

Still confused heh??

Comment

hey guys

this original email i posted was sent over a mailing list...some more emails were sent there about this, so i'll paste them here...

----------------------------------------
                > It is makruh to fast only in the Day of Ashura as far as I know. You
                > should fast the day before or after as well.

It is not Makruh to fast Ashura; it is Sunnah to fast the day before if
                possible or the day after with it to differ from the Jews (at that time).
                The Prophet (s.a.w.) said, if I lived till next year, I would fast the
                ninth. He meant ALSO the ninth since he fasted the tenth that year. He di
                not live though. So, in Fiqh, fast 9+10, 10+11, or 10 alone in that
                order of preference. Even fast 9+10+11 if you wish. See article below
                written few years ago (translated from Fiqh As-Sunnah)

[Excerpted from Fiqh us-Sunnah, Sh. As-Sayyid Sabiq]
                *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*= *=

"Fasting the day of `Ashurah is an expiation [of sins] for the year
                preceding it." [upon Abu Qatadah, related by the group, except for
                al-Bukhari and at-Tirmidhi]

CHAPTER: Fasting during the month of Muharram, especially the day
                of `Ashurah and the days immediately preceeding and following it:

Abu Huraira reported: I asked the Prophet, sallallaahu `alaihi wa
                sallam: Which prayer is the best after the obligatory prayers?"
                He said, "Prayer during the middle of the night." I asked: "Which
                fast is the best after the fast of Ramadan?" He said, "The month
                of Allah that you call Muharram." [Ahmad, Muslim, Abu Dawud]

Mu`awwiyah ibn Abu Sufyan reported that he heard the Messenger of
                Allah, sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam, say: "Concerning the day of
                `Ashurah, it is not obligatory upon you to fast on it as I do.
                Whoever wishes may fast and whoever does not wish to is not obliged
                to do so." [al-Bukhari, Muslim]

`Aishah stated: "The tribe of Quraish used to fast on the day of
                `Ashurah in the days before Islam, as did the Prophet. When he
                came to Madinah, he still fasted on it and ordered the people to do
                likewise. Then, when fasting during the month of Ramadan became
                obligatory, he said: "Whoever wishes may fast [`Ashurah] and
                whoever wishes may leave it." [al-Bukhari, Muslim]

Ibn `Abbas reported: "The Prophet came to Madinah and found the
                Jews fasting on the day of `Ashurah. He said to them: "What is
                this fast?" They said: "A great day. Allah saved Moses and the
                tribes of Israel from their enemies on this day and therefore,
                Moses fasted on this day." The Prophet said: "We have more of a
                right to Moses than you," so he fasted on that day also and ordered
                the people to fast on that day." [al-Bukhari, Muslim]

According to al-Bukhari and Muslim, Musa al-Ash`ari reported: "The
                Jews would honor the day of `Ashurah as an `Id. The Prophet said:
                "You [Muslims] are to fast on it."

Ibn `Abbas reported: "The Messenger of Allah fasted on the day of
                `Ashurah and ordered the people to fast on it. The people said:
                "O Messenger of Allah, it is a day that the Jews and Christians
                honor." The Prophet said: "When the following year comes - Allah
                willing - we shall fast on the ninth." The death of the Prophet
                came before the following year." This is recorded by Muslim and
                Abu Dawud. In one version the wording is: "If I remain until next
                year, we shall fast the ninth," meaning, the tenth. This is
                related by Muslim and Abu Dawud.

The scholars have mentioned that the fast of `Ashurah is of three
                levels: (1) fasting three days - that is, on the 9th, 10th, and
                11th of Muharram (2) fasting on the 9th and 10th; and
                (3) fasting only on the 10th.

Note: Sh. Al-Albaani had no criticism on the above points in his
                "Tamaam ul-Minna fi-t-ta`leeq `alaa 'Fiqh us-Sunnah.'"

To say it is Makruh to fast the 10th alone means that it is better not to
                fast at all if fasting the 9th or 11th is not possible. However, fasting
                the 10th alone is better than not fasting at all.

Islam recognized and preserved all the good teachings and ethics of the
                previous heavenly faiths (Judaism and Christianity); however, when it came
                to pure worship (fasting and prayers etc), it always gave it a special
                touch to distinguish it as THE NEW AND UPDATED religion. So, when the call
                for prayer was suggested, people suggested the horn and the bell but the
                Prophet (s.a.w.) did not want them since they are used for the Jews and
                the Christian prayers respectively; then the sotry of dreaming of the Azan
                happened and we had our own Azan. Fasting Ashura is a Jewish tradition
                adopted by Islam; yet Islam gave it a speical touch by adding another day.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: [fasting] Ashoura

Originally posted by zer01:
                  And yes, you should be thankful to that "reletive" of Rasullalah(saww) (who happend to be grandson of Rasullalah for you informations). You would'nt be calling your self muslim today if he did'nt sacrifice his life and family to save the religion of Allah.

Still confused heh??
                  well actually speaking, with all due respect to the courage and determination of imam hussain (ra), he cud not really turn down the government in force and the system against which he was fighting did remain in place....

so how do u attribute "survival of islam" to imam hussain (ra)????
                  Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

When the Yazid bin mauvya l.a took bayat from the muslim Ummah and became the Ammer ul Momineen of the ummah, He also became the authority on sharya. He drank and commited zina ate pork, became homosexual etc. Don't forget he happened to be one of the 12 khlifa of his time. He showed the world the new face of islam, where all the haram was halal. Imam e Muzloom a.s had to take action to show the world that what yazid l.a is doing is not the islam. Had yazid l.a been an ordinary person meaning not the muslim's khalifa and ammer ul momineen my Imam a.s would not have taken this action. Yazid l.a because of his status was in a position to change islam forever.
                    Imam e muzloom a.s showed us the true face of yazid l.a

Yes I agree we still have muslims who drink, eat pork, commit zina etc but atleast we know that they are doing haram act, without Imam e Muzloom a.s sacrifice it all would have been hallal.

Comment

as a sunnah.. i fasted on 10th of Muharram

Now dun tell me that it is makrooh!

Comment

Originally posted by MAKRANI:
                        When the Yazid bin mauvya l.a took bayat from the muslim Ummah and became the Ammer ul Momineen of the ummah, He also became the authority on sharya. He drank and commited zina ate pork, became homosexual etc. Don't forget he happened to be one of the 12 khlifa of his time. He showed the world the new face of islam, where all the haram was halal. Imam e Muzloom a.s had to take action to show the world that what yazid l.a is doing is not the islam. Had yazid l.a been an ordinary person meaning not the muslim's khalifa and ammer ul momineen my Imam a.s would not have taken this action. Yazid l.a because of his status was in a position to change islam forever.
                        Imam e muzloom a.s showed us the true face of yazid l.a

Yes I agree we still have muslims who drink, eat pork, commit zina etc but atleast we know that they are doing haram act, without Imam e Muzloom a.s sacrifice it all would have been hallal.
                        please do mention, with exact reference, what things had yazid declared as HALAAL which were before him under the HALAAL category....
                        and no muslim believes or ever did believe that the acts of any khalifa r considered as part of shariat, or that he has authority to declare HALAAL what Allah has declared as HARAAM and vice versa....

also, other people (e.g abdullah bin zubair and many more) also fought against these people and were martyred but why do u not consider their deeds as "saviors of Islam"????

Comment

it is makrooh to fast on 10th muharram
                          Yazid's mother fasted. Muslims should do faaqa.
                          Mill ke sab matam-e-shabbir karo..

Comment

^^ i heard it is haram coz yazid's mother had vowed to fast on the day yazid'll kill imam hussain (as)
                            ~*~Pakistan hamari jaan, sabse pehley Pakistan~*~

Comment

no muslim believes or ever did believe that the acts of any khalifa r considered as part of shariat, or that he has authority to declare HALAAL what Allah has declared as HARAAM and vice versa....
                              Second Khalifa of muslims added that "Namaz is better then sleeping" in your fajr azan" or declared mutta haram which was hallal before. are they not part of your shariat now?
                              For yazid's action go to any NON-Yazeedi web site and research all his acts. All 72 shaheed on Imam e Muzloom a.s side were the savior of Islam.

Comment

Working...
                              X