Muslim Celebrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muslim Celebrations

Usually its asserted that a Muslim should not take part in any celebrations of Non-Muslims. So we see these days threads about Valentine and Basant etc. While it seems a matter of interpretation, I am curious to know what is the view point on celebrating national holidays, like Jashan-e-Azadi (Independence Day), Yom-e-Difah, Presidents day (which btw is on 16th of the US guppies) etc.

The reason I ask, is because I have seen the guppies who appose celebrating Thanks Giving, Mothers day etc. usually still celebrate 14th of August, and Sep. 6th. So whats their justification of celebrating national holidays?

So, what are the Muslim celebrations?

Eid-ul-Azha!
    Eid-ul-Fitar!
    .?
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

ahmadjee maybe you can help me understand something.. is Eid an arabic word? does it mean happiness??
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

From the little I know, Eid means recurring happiness and at times means festivity.
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

so it IS an Arabic word.. right???

Comment

I think so but don't sue me if it turns out to be wrong.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
            so it IS an Arabic word.. right???
            what kind of a stupid question is that?
            No. it is Tamil world and has its roots in Kannad.

Comment

if you don't know the answer don't get upset.. just say you don't know.

Comment

Its an Arabic word. The root word for Eid is
                which means recurring. "Eid Saeed" means Happy Eid.
                Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-An-Nahr (Al adha) are two Muslim recurring celebrations.
                بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
                بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

great so Eid in Arabic means 'recurring'..

Now it certainly does not mean 'Happy' or 'happiness' right.. so Eid-ul-Fitr would mean Recurring al-fitr..

The word is also present in other languages.. does anyone know what it means in Persian?

Comment

^ and your point is ?

Please do share if you have some info. Dont ask riddles.
                    Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

Originally posted by Code_Red:
                      ^ and your point is ?

Please do share if you have some info. Dont ask riddles.
                      my point is to try and learn a thing or two from everyone about the festivals we celebrate.. what is your point?

Comment

interesting ...

Comment

PA, You have ruined my thread. Not even a single person replied to my original question.
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Aj, there are basically just two Islamic celebrations Eid-ul-Fitr, and Eid-ul-Adha. The rest what we see has no religious significance. The 1st of Muharanmu, used as a holiday in many countries has more to do the start of the Hijri celender year than any religious reasons.

Now every celebration other than the two Eids in any Muslim majority areas has more to do with "National" and "cultural" reasons. So the number of celebrations depends how mush you mix these two (national & Cultural) reasons with your religion. The more you mix the more celebrations you will end up with.

Most of the national and cultural celebrations will be deemed un-Islamic depending on where you stand on Nationalism and influence of "Pagan" culture.
                            بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
                            بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

Re: Muslim Celebrations

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                              Usually its asserted that a Muslim should not take part in any celebrations of Non-Muslims.
                              .?
                              Who asserts this?

I thought it was ok to celebrate cultural events as long as the celebration was not to commemerate another god or idol...

Comment

Working...
                              X