Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--Attending non-Muslims's Funeral ...

salam,
    One of my colleague’s son has expired this week, he was just 15, tomorrow is his funeral…

I never have attended any non-Muslim’s funeral ever… have no idea what should I do and what I am suppose to do if I attend!
    I am willing to attend, but dunno about what bindings I should have being a Muslim while attending the service!
    Any positive input please in the light of Islam? And also teach me about the custom for the memorial service please!
    Regards,
    Ata
    Gari aur bivi aisi honi chahyay kay banda saath khara ho to apni lagay

Ya Allah Bhagwaan ko bhi Muslim bana day ...

Question :

Is it permissible for a Muslim to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend if it is in the church, as a sign of respect for the deceased?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for the Muslim to attend the funeral of a kaafir or to enter their churches, even if that is a sign of respect etc, because attending the funeral is a way of showing love and respect, and it is not permissible to show that towards a kaafir, according to the correct view.

Moreover the questioner says, “to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend” – but it is not permissible for a Muslim to take a kaafir as a friend, because Allaah has commanded us to regard them as enemies, to shun them and to keep away from them. This does not mean that we should not deal with them or buy and sell or form business partnerships with them. That is one thing, and taking them as friends is another thing. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allaah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the party of Allaah. Verily, it is the party of Allaah that will be the successful”

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.” Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh, 2167 from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.

Shaykh Sulaymaan ib nNaasir al-‘Alwaan (www.islam-qa.com)

Comment

Question :

Can a Muslim visit a sick kaafir and attend his funeral?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.
      Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah was asked about Muslim people who have Christian neighbours – is it permissible for a Muslim to visit a Christian if he gets sick, or to attend his funeral if he dies? Is there any sin on a Muslim who does these things, or not?

He replied:

Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds. He should not attend his funeral, but visiting him when he is sick is fine, because this may serve an interest, namely opening his heart to Islam. But then if he dies as a kaafir, he will deserve Hell, hence the prayers should not be offered for him. And Allaah knows best.

Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 3/6. (www.islam-qa.com)

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Swera:
        Question :

Is it permissible for a Muslim to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend if it is in the church, as a sign of respect for the deceased?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for the Muslim to attend the funeral of a kaafir or to enter their churches, even if that is a sign of respect etc, because attending the funeral is a way of showing love and respect, and it is not permissible to show that towards a kaafir, according to the correct view.

Moreover the questioner says, “to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend” – but it is not permissible for a Muslim to take a kaafir as a friend, because Allaah has commanded us to regard them as enemies, to shun them and to keep away from them. This does not mean that we should not deal with them or buy and sell or form business partnerships with them. That is one thing, and taking them as friends is another thing. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allaah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the party of Allaah. Verily, it is the party of Allaah that will be the successful”

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.” Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh, 2167 from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.

Shaykh Sulaymaan ib nNaasir al-‘Alwaan (www.islam-qa.com)

my Goodness...I didn't know that we can't attend...thanks to Allah I asked the question here and HE saved me from a sin...

Sweraaa.... thank you very very much ... you really helped me ...may Allah give you rewards aamin summa aamin
        so I will not attend...and I will just send card and flowers...

Comment

Question :

Can a Muslim visit a sick kaafir and attend his funeral?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.
          Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah was asked about Muslim people who have Christian neighbours – is it permissible for a Muslim to visit a Christian if he gets sick, or to attend his funeral if he dies? Is there any sin on a Muslim who does these things, or not?

He replied:

Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds. He should not attend his funeral, but visiting him when he is sick is fine, because this may serve an interest, namely opening his heart to Islam. But then if he dies as a kaafir, he will deserve Hell, hence the prayers should not be offered for him. And Allaah knows best.

Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 3/6. (www.islam-qa.com)

Hope this helps!
          Allah will reward for saving a Muslim from a sin...Jazak Allah Swera

Comment

Originally posted by ?:
            my Goodness...I didn't know that we can't attend...thanks to Allah I asked the question here and HE saved me from a sin...

Sweraaa.... thank you very very much ... you really helped me ...may Allah give you rewards aamin summa aamin
            so I will not attend...and I will just send card and flowers...

Yes, Allah Thanks to Allah Almighty, He can save us only He can....

Don't mention it ata bhai, I'm glad I could help, really.

Comment

Originally posted by ?:
              Allah will reward for saving a Muslim from a sin...Jazak Allah Swera
              Allah saved you na, from sinning
              All praise for Him....
              & Allah will reward you for seeking..

Comment

Yes, Allah Thanks to Allah Almighty, He can save us only He can....

Don't mention it ata bhai, I'm glad I could help, really.
                Its was great help Swera, I was really confused that what should I do...but now by the greace of Allah and your help every thing is cleared now
                thanks again and be back

Comment

^ My pleasure

Comment

Originally posted by ?:
                    Is it that simple that some fatwa from some hateful anonymous webiste contributor tells you what is allowed? What do you tell your co-worker -- that his son died as a kaafir, deserves Hell, and not worthy of your prayers? That you are not allowed to show love and respect for a kaafir? That you as a Muslim are not to take a kaafir as a friend, because your God has commanded you to regard him as an enemy? Then what are you doing in the US!!? Talk about hypocrisy and back-biting! In this country we show respect and kindness to people of all faiths. I suggest that if we are all your enemmies you find another place to live.

It is very self righteous and hateful to shun someone in this time of despair. This fatwa is sheer arrogance and hate and does nothing to promote Islam as the religion of peace or tolerance. It does the opposite - promoting it as a religion of hate and intolerance.

Comment

? Your common sense should tell you what you should do!! By the way, have you read all other fatwas on that website? Don't believe every single thing people tell you!!

The following is taken from ISNA:

Question:
                      Can we attend a non-Muslim's funeral? Many of us have non-Muslim parents.

Answered by: the Fiqh Council

In the annual meeting of the Fiqh Council of North America in Kansas City, MO. 9/3/92, the members had agreed upon the following:
                      "Item 9: The Council considered question put to it by certain converts to Islam on the subject of their non-Muslim families and relations, like marriages and funerals and the like. The Council explained that one's maintaining the best of relations with one's family, in addition to being a part of a Muslim 's duty to treat all people in the very best manner, may be considered a subtle form of Da'wah as well. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with one's maintaining good relations with one's non-Muslim relations, especially one's parents. Indeed, a Muslim should exemplify for his/her family all the characteristics of goodness, kindness, and decency."

Therefore, the Council sees no harm to attend a non-Muslim's funeral, as far as you do not participate in the rituals. And during their sermon and speeches you can reflect on death, hell and paradise.

Comment

Comment

i dunno if this is the right thread or not, but this is a hadith related to this topic.

Once the Prophet was seated at some place in Madinah, along with his Companions. During this time a funeral procession passed by. On seeing this, the Prophet stood up. One of his Companion remarked that the funeral was that of a Jew. The Prophet replied, “Was he not a human being?”

Source

Comment

? my pal

the words below may change your mind, as well as what corrupt angel said and teh words from teh fiqh council.

The point is do what seems to be the human and humane thing to do, whereas you will find fatwaas left right and center..some of them may not make sense in general or in 2004.

anyways here goes.

http://www.understanding-islam.com/r...542&sscatid=82

Title:
                            Attending Funerals of Non-Muslims

Question:
                            What is the position of attending funerals of non-Muslims?

Answer:

While living in a mixed society, one generally has social relations with people ascribing to other faiths as well. Good and healthy social relations with others, besides being a part of man's social nature, also provide the very foundation and basis of propagating Islam to others. Obviously, if we do not have a healthy social interaction with others, there is hardly a chance that we shall be able to attract them to the message of Islam. Thus, healthy social interaction with others (irrespective of their religious beliefs and ascriptions), in my opinion, is not only in consonance with man's social nature but also a requirement for any subsequent opportunity of propagating the views that we hold to be true.

Congratulating and offering our good wishes to others in times of happiness and standing by their side and offering our condolences in times of sadness are two major periods of social interaction. Death of a friend or a friend's loved one, irrespective of his/her religious affiliations, is a time when that friend (or his/her family) needs us by his/her side the most. We should consider ourselves extremely lucky, if our presence, at such times, can be source of comforting another human being.

In my opinion, therefore, as it has not been explicitly prohibited by the Shari`ah, it should not only be considered allowed to attend a funeral of a non-Muslim friend or relative or his/her loved one, but should also be looked upon as an opportunity to show our love, affection and strong social ties with that friend and his family.

These are, in fact, times and opportunities to be human. And Islam, I assure you, endorses all that is human.
                            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

So the fatwa I posted was all wong???????

Comment

Working...
                              X