Darwin's theory and Islam and Hinduism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darwin's theory and Islam and Hinduism

How was the universe created according to Islam. Here is some aspects on creation story in Hinduism and it's relation to Darwin's theory. How does Islam relate to Darwin's theory of evolution?

Hinduism and Darwin's theory

Don't expect one creation story from Hinduism. Expect many. Just as there are many gods in Hinduism, there are several creation stories.

One Hindu creation story says the world started with the sacrifice of a primal man called Purusa. Purusa's body was the entire universe the lower part became earth while the rest became heavens. The various castes of humans came from parts of Purusa's body.

Another Hindu scripture states that the universe was formed from the god Vishnu's breath. With each of Vishnu's breaths, countless universes emanate in seedlike forms that expand. Another story simply says the world came out of a cosmic egg.

Joyce Flueckiger, an authority on Hinduism from Emory, said Darwin simply offers another way to look at the universe to Hindus.

"The problem of reconciliation with yet another story of creation does not create the same kind of tension that may be present between a singular creation story and that of evolution," Flueckiger said.

Dr. P.V. Rao, a physics professor at Emory who has led a seminar on science and Hinduism, said many Hindus actually see Darwin's theory as a "small part of a larger scheme."

"Historically speaking, Darwin's ideas were embraced by all the learned Hindus as soon as they came to know about it," Rao said. "There was no need for any reconciliation."

so which of the stories is supposed to be correct? or were all these things going on in parallel?

as far as Islam's view of creation of universe, its basically the same as in christianity and judaism.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Marathi, how about these ayaths from Quran for starters. They are self explainatory, but in case you need assistance...do ask.

"He is the Originator of the heavens and the earth." (The Qur'an, 6:101)

"And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it." (The Qur'an, 51:47)

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before We clove them asunder, and We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (The Qur'an, 21:30)

"Then He turned to heaven when it was smoke. In two days He determined them as seven heavens and revealed, in every heaven, its own mandate." (The Qur'an, 41:12)
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Do you think that the Quranic verses above (and others people find) contradict the theory of evolution? Or support it? Or leave ambiguity?

Comment

Re: Darwin's theory and Islam and Hinduism

Originally posted by Marathi Maanus:
          "Historically speaking, Darwin's ideas were embraced by all the learned Hindus as soon as they came to know about it," Rao said. "There was no need for any reconciliation."
          How is this important? If I believe in 10 very different stories about an event and I accept a newly created 11th story.... how did it help me learn about the event? Doesn't it make things more confusing?
          "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

darwin and his fellow-thinkers can fall low enough to call themselves children of monkeys and donkeys but we, as muslims, r proud to call oursleves humans, decendents of Adam, who was created by Allah and all angels prostrated before him....
            Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by armughal:
              darwin and his fellow-thinkers can fall low enough to call themselves children of monkeys and donkeys but we, as muslims, r proud to call oursleves humans, decendents of Adam, who was created by Allah and all angels prostrated before him....
              your understanding of evolution is zilch. read up about it before you pass such ignorant judgements. scientists arent fools.

also, how do you like the idea that you are the descendent of a single couple - i.e., by product of incest?
              Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Well, I have no monkey uncles and no ancestors that were monkeys...

Those who believe in Darwin's theories don't believe in God, and no animal believes in God...Since no animal believes in God, and all God-believing people are humans it follows that those who don't believe in God and believe in Darwin's theories are animals...

The theory of evolution is yet to be proven...The advent of man human especially is an unverified and unknown phenomena...Science has yet to prove the arrival of man from any source...

And if any idiot tells me that we were formed from a single cell, then multicell then evolved into this species of man and woman and then developed complex body structures with organs and blood and thought and emotions, all from nothing, had better be wearing a clown suit for I will laugh hard and hearty at this claim...

The theory of evolution will always remain that...A theory...
                Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Lajawab --
                  How does believing in evolution equal not believing in God?
                  And how do you know that no animal believes in God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sahar02:
                    Lajawab --
                    How does believing in evolution equal not believing in God?
                    And how do you know that no animal believes in God?
                    Believing in evolution is denying the Quran which tells us that we are descended from Adam :as: and Bibi Hawwa :as:, as result which will chuck you out of Islam...

As for believing in evolution and believing in god is concerned, you are at a liberty to do so, but that god won't be Allah :swt:...

Animals do believe in God, in fact every creature praises Allah :swt:...

Comment

Originally posted by Lajawab:

Believing in evolution is denying the Quran which tells us that we are descended from Adam :as: and Bibi Hawwa :as:, as result which will chuck you out of Islam...

As for believing in evolution and believing in god is concerned, you are at a liberty to do so, but that god won't be Allah :swt:...

Animals do believe in God, in fact every creature praises Allah :swt:...
                      Lajawab -- Did you read your previous post??? You wrote:
                      "Since no animal believes in God"

Do we know how God created man? How do we know that the creation didn't follow like evolution? How do we know that Allah didn't initiate the movement from one step of the evolutionary process to the next? More importantly, how can you assume that your interpretation of this Quranic verse is right and it gives you the right to determine who is a Muslim and who is not?

Comment

Maulana Lajawab Sahib,

Haven't you read the Quran where Allah states He revealed to the bee? Let me give you the exact quote:
                        • And your Lord revealed to the bee saying: Make hives in the mountains and in the trees and in what they build. [6 : 68]

Even the surah is called An-Nahl, which means the Bee.

So, how can you say no animal believe in God?
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Sahar...You are at a liberty to believe whatever you want...You want to believe in the druids, the wiccans, the pagans whatever that's fine with me...You want to believe in the theory of evolution, go right ahead...

I speak for myself, and according to my knowledge believing in the theory of evolution makes you a non-Muslim...Now why do I say this? It's because denying the existence of Adam :as: and Hawwa :as: is equal to not believing in the teachings of the Quran...That is my belief and that is my knowledge...

If you consider that man was descended from apes and apes from the primordial ooze and still consider yourself a Muslim, well that's your belief...For me, the person that believes in the evolution theory is not a Muslim...

And anyways, evolution is just a theory...And that's what it will remain...

Comment

Originally posted by Lajawab:
                            Sahar...You are at a liberty to believe whatever you want...You want to believe in the druids, the wiccans, the pagans whatever that's fine with me...You want to believe in the theory of evolution, go right ahead...

I speak for myself, and according to my knowledge believing in the theory of evolution makes you a non-Muslim...Now why do I say this? It's because denying the existence of Adam :as: and Hawwa :as: is equal to not believing in the teachings of the Quran...That is my belief and that is my knowledge...

If you consider that man was descended from apes and apes from the primordial ooze and still consider yourself a Muslim, well that's your belief...For me, the person that believes in the evolution theory is not a Muslim...

And anyways, evolution is just a theory...And that's what it will remain...
                            Lajawab -- Who said I denied the existence of Adam and Hawwa?

An aside, you also might brush up on your knowledge of the theory of evolution before you pass judgement on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sahar02:

Lajawab -- Who said I denied the existence of Adam and Hawwa?

An aside, you also might brush up on your knowledge of the theory of evolution before you pass judgement on it.
                              I never said you did...

And post a good, simple easy to understand site where I can brush up on it...

Comment

Working...
                              X