Arab states urge action against Syrian government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the hypocrisy of these Arab despots. Why don't the take actions against Syria? Why are they inviting the West...so they can blame them for killing Muslims?

A resolution passed at an Arab League meeting in Cairo urged the United Nations and international community to take action against the Syrian government.

CAIRO — Arab states on Sunday urged the international community to take action against the Syrian government over a chemical gas attack that killed hundreds of civilians.

The final resolution passed by an Arab League meeting in Cairo urged the United Nations and international community to "take the deterrent and necessary measures against the culprits of this crime that the Syrian regime bears responsibility for."

The League foreign ministers also said those responsible for the attack should face trial, as other "war criminals" have.

Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said condemnation of Syria over the poison gas attack, which U.S. officials say killed 1,429 people, was not enough.

He said opposing international action on the grounds that it was "foreign intervention" was no longer acceptable.

"Any opposition to any international action would only encourage Damascus to move forward with committing its crimes and using all weapons of mass destruction," said Faisal.

"The time has come to call on the world community to bear its responsibility and take the deterrent measure that puts a halt to the tragedy."

Related: Citing sarin use, US seeks to bolster Syria case

The United States had seemed to be gearing up for a strike against President Bashar al-Assad's forces over an August 21 poison gas attack, but is now seeking Congressional approval first.

President Barack Obama's decision to delay military action to seek Congressional support could delay a strike by at least 10 days, if it comes at all.

The Arab League resolution promised to "present all forms of support" to help the Syrian people to defend themselves.

Related: France says it will not act alone in Syria

Syria's neighbors Lebanon and Iraq, as well as Algeria, all declined to back the text, as they have done with similar resolutions in the past. Syria itself is suspended from the League.

The meeting highlighted divisions between Saudi Arabia and Egypt over how to approach the Syrian crisis.

Egypt, which has been promised $5 billion by Saudi Arabia to bolster its dwindling reserves since the army overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Mursi, had said it was opposed to foreign military intervention in Syria, but did not vote against the resolution.
    All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

Re: Arab states urge action against Syrian government

Exact sentiment as yours. They shouldn't "urge" anybody but their Generals to tighten the belt and rescue a muslim population for once.
    Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

Exactly!!!! Why are they asking the US to help...why can't they just get up, man up and do it themselves?!

and after something happens, everyone just sits and blames the US....well..you invited trouble..so what do you expect?!
      Aada Ganja...Poora Khabis...
      Nawaz Sharif...Shahbaz Sharif :D

Comment

Originally posted by teggy View Post
        Exact sentiment as yours. They shouldn't "urge" anybody but their Generals to tighten the belt and rescue a muslim population for once.
        I think they want have the cake and eat it, too. They don't want to get their own hands dirty...if things go bad the can always blame the US/West & if things turned out to be ok they claim credit for it. Personally, I really hope that the US Congress blocks Obama administration from getting involved in Syrian civil war.
        All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

Comment

Syria is backed by Russia...I don't think the whole Arab world put together can take Assad out.

People on this forum, who are against US action have been calling it a sectarian thing....and for them supporting Syrian rebels means being a sectarian.

Now, this thread is very racist. Why only Arabs should be taking out Assad? Why not the whole Muslim world?

We are hypocrites, aren't we?
          I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01 View Post
            .....We are hypocrites, aren't we?
            Yep, that's the point.

Comment

Now, this thread is very racist. Why only Arabs should be taking out Assad? Why not the whole Muslim world?

We are hypocrites, aren't we?
              Well, the thread is about Arab League urging action against Syria & not the OIC. Btw, this is an Arab problem. Everyone else (including west and rest of the Muslim world) should stay out b/c outsiders taking sides usually complicate things for locals. Just look at Afghanistan & its 30+ years of civil war b/c of outsiders involvement in the conflict.

Comment

I don't see anyone urging Hizbullah, Iran and Russia to stay out of it....all I see is US bashing.

Comment

I don't see anyone urging Hizbullah, Iran and Russia to stay out of it....all I see is US bashing.
                  Has anyone else suggested direct action in another sovereign country?

Comment

Originally posted by kakaballi View Post
                    Has anyone else suggested direct action in another sovereign country?
                    Do you think Russia and allies would openly admit their military actions against Syrian rebels? That would be stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X