How is Syria going to respond to US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Syria going to respond to US?

Lets be clear on one thing first, US attack on Syria will be nothing like the invasion of Iraq.

Forces which could be used against Syria.

• Four US destroyers - USS Gravely, USS Ramage, USS Barry and USS Mahan - are in the eastern Mediterranean, equipped with cruise missiles. The missiles can also be fired from submarines, but the US Navy does not reveal their locations

• Airbases at Incirlik and Izmir in Turkey, and in Jordan, could be used to carry out strikes

• Two aircraft carriers - USS Nimitz and USS Harry S Truman are in the wider region

• French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle is currently in Toulon in the western Mediterranean

• French Rafale and Mirage aircraft can also operate from Al-Dhahra airbase in the UAE

So as it shows it's going to be limited to aerial bombing.

How do you think Assad will react to the bombing?
    I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Re: How is Syria going to respond to US?

by hiding in some bunker or trying to flee somewhere (where?) and getting caught like Qaddafi and then bite the dust.

disclaimer: hating Al Assad doesn't mean loving USA and their comrades in crime.
    Quwwat-e-Mazhab say mustehkam hay jami'yat teri

Comment

I don't think so. Like the butcher he is, he is going to resolve to more civilian killings.
      I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

sure, he will try to kill everyone in desperation, whoever opposes him

but if the firepower you mentioned above is put to use, will he be able to survive more than few days if not hours?
        butcher is not mullah omer, and syria is not afghanistan.

unless russia jumps in fully loaded (as they threatened, but i don't think they will) and if Iran's threat to Israel doesn't (which is not very likely) turn out to be a farce, then, may be
        Quwwat-e-Mazhab say mustehkam hay jami'yat teri

Comment

I am thinking cyber attacks and terrorist attacks which Syria could benefit from the expertise of Iranians quds force / Hezbollah. I am thinking that the Syrian air defense is hyped as well, perhaps to cover up any us a/c losses if it happens, but if Israel can go and bomb Syria with impunity then America is a superpower. As far as Iran goes, it can't and won't directly intervene as that would mean a direct attack on Iran. A strike on Israel would mean very bad times against for Syria and Iran, so back to square one i.e. terrorist and cyber attacks. Russia is a wild card here. Whatever prestige that they have left would be gone by not defending their base though America could just let the rebels "win" w/o directly intervening against Russia. Russia has become pretty much a 'ho as they didn't even come defend serbians who are closest Slavic brothers that they have in Europe.
          Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

It will be exactly like Iraq or worse. If the rumors are true that Assad has resorted to mish-mash military within civilian population, then it's akin to calling for a sledgehammer to an ant hill. If Syria is attacked, it may not do anything and let the bad press that is generated afterwards do all the talking for it on how the miscalculations led to xyz, and how it could have been, should have been, etc.
            Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

we can continue fooling ourselves if we think there will be only few strikes targeted at Syrian army and US will go back and everything will fall back into place and there would only peace then. Assad enjoys support from his allies and they will most likely retaliate wont just sit and watch US bomb... this will probably spread to the entire region.

and last thing we want to see is a more unstable middle east.....

Comment

It's unlikely that Assad's allies will be in a position to help. His closest 2 are Iran and Hezbollah. Iran is right now trying to play nice to get sanctions lifted, while Hezbollah is trying to avoid triggering a new Lebanese Civil war.

Syria has no defence against cruise missiles; whilst it in also unlikely that the new anti-aircraft missiles it has gotten from Russia are active yet due to lack of time for training, deployment, etc.

So in a nutshell. Assad has no option other than to rage impotently from a bunker somewhere.

The key issue will be the nature of the strikes. If the goal is to target his chemical weapons, it would have a minimal impact on the Syrian civil war. If the strikes are instead aimed at disrupting the Syrian army's command and control systems, and especially destroying the assets and bases of the Syrian Air Force, then it could be a changer in the civil war.
                Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                Al-Ghazali

Comment

Syria has no defence against cruise missiles; whilst it in also unlikely that the new anti-aircraft missiles it has gotten from Russia are active yet due to lack of time for training, deployment, etc.
                  I think that the Syrian air defenses are hyped much more than what they are. Of course, the air defenses weren't "active / not there" when Israel destroyed the nuclear reactor in the past, but Israel has done air strikes on convoys meant for Hezbollah recently so where were the feared air defenses doing to stop the IDF then? Israel also has had meetings with Russia and offered them $$$ or some tech as they even backed off giving s-400 to iran after that.
                  Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

Originally posted by teggy View Post
                    It will be exactly like Iraq or worse. If the rumors are true that Assad has resorted to mish-mash military within civilian population, then it's akin to calling for a sledgehammer to an ant hill. If Syria is attacked, it may not do anything and let the bad press that is generated afterwards do all the talking for it on how the miscalculations led to xyz, and how it could have been, should have been, etc.
                    How can it be like Iraq?
                    Americans are not sending boots on the ground.

Americans can very well leave iraq today but then that country would fall further down in chaos and american will get bad press.

BTW Cruise missiles cant and wont solve the problem. They wont even kill the dictator. Missiles are not launched to punish assad for killing 1 lakh people, they are just to punish him for using banned weapons. Logical question is why even bother, well if you let go one dictator with the use of banned weapons then others will have a justification.
                    Tu bhi villain ban sakta tha, "BILLA" ban sakta tha.....

Comment

After Syria it will be Iran's turn..
                      Its bigger on the inside!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doppleganger View Post
                        I think that the Syrian air defenses are hyped much more than what they are. Of course, the air defenses weren't "active / not there" when Israel destroyed the nuclear reactor in the past, but Israel has done air strikes on convoys meant for Hezbollah recently so where were the feared air defenses doing to stop the IDF then? Israel also has had meetings with Russia and offered them $$$ or some tech as they even backed off giving s-400 to iran after that.
                        The new missiles that Russia is shipping out are generally believed to be worth the hype.

As for the issue of how Israel struck with impunity before, some of the rebels who were formerly in Syrian Air Defence units complained that they used to have orders not to attack Israeli incursions.

While this could be propaganda, I believe it is also likely to be logical and thus correct.

If Syria had a strategic objective of not escalating the conflict with Israel, it would not want to provoke Israel by shooting down small fighter-bomber raids. If Syria began actively attacking Israeli planes that were attacking Syrian targets, then before future raids, Israel would carry out wider raids on Syrian air defence sites, and the command systems controlling those sites, and the military command directing air defence, etc etc - it would rapidly snowball into a larger fight that would leave Syria fighting Israel again without any allies.

Given that, it seems that Syria chose to turn the other cheek rather than allow Israeli bombing raids to turn into a full scale conflict.
                        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                        Al-Ghazali

Comment

US proxy army the Al-Qaeda is involved in a war of attribution with Syria and is losing, and will be wiped out sooner or later. The US direct involvement is aimed at salvaging a victory by destroying the Syrian army and helping Al-Qaeda get an upper hand. This is a make or break situation. The next few months will determine whether Al-Qaeda takeover will be successful or Syria will remain intact, the next few months will determine whether the US will achieve its regime change and install its puppet pro Zionist regime or it will be defeated in its quest. When the US gets directly involved Syria cannot afford to just be on the defensive and will have to take the offense. It will have to retaliate and hit the US or its assets within the region, it will have to try to inflict the maximum damage to the US if it stands a chance of success. However Syria cannot take the US on directly therefore it will have to retreat and then regroup and then counter-attack. The conflict will have to become regional if Syrian strategy is to work out. 100,000 people have died since this conflict started and thousands and thousands more would die in the next few months and all of them are muslims. All of these deaths are as a result of the US policies.
                          The ineluctable truth emerges: The journey is more important than the destination. The real fun was the struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by arshad5 View Post
                            US proxy army the Al-Qaeda is involved in a war of attribution with Syria and is losing, and will be wiped out sooner or later. The US direct involvement is aimed at salvaging a victory by destroying the Syrian army and helping Al-Qaeda get an upper hand. This is a make or break situation. The next few months will determine whether Al-Qaeda takeover will be successful or Syria will remain intact, the next few months will determine whether the US will achieve its regime change and install its puppet pro Zionist regime or it will be defeated in its quest. When the US gets directly involved Syria cannot afford to just be on the defensive and will have to take the offense. It will have to retaliate and hit the US or its assets within the region, it will have to try to inflict the maximum damage to the US if it stands a chance of success. However Syria cannot take the US on directly therefore it will have to retreat and then regroup and then counter-attack. The conflict will have to become regional if Syrian strategy is to work out. 100,000 people have died since this conflict started and thousands and thousands more would die in the next few months and all of them are muslims. All of these deaths are as a result of the US policies.
                            kaya baat hai aap ke.......mind blowing analysis yaar.............unbelievably smart...i had no idea Al Qaeda is pro zionist regime.....allah o akbar.... i am feeling so mujahid mujahid jihadi jihadi sharabi shrabi right now! i think i am confused as well....am i feeling jihadi jihadi or sharabi sharabi!

bashar asad is my new hero..my new love

i give up!

Comment

Originally posted by kaka_in_usa View Post
                              How can it be like Iraq?
                              Americans are not sending boots on the ground.

Americans can very well leave iraq today but then that country would fall further down in chaos and american will get bad press.

BTW Cruise missiles cant and wont solve the problem. They wont even kill the dictator. Missiles are not launched to punish assad for killing 1 lakh people, they are just to punish him for using banned weapons. Logical question is why even bother, well if you let go one dictator with the use of banned weapons then others will have a justification.
                              -Because Syria does not currently pose a direct threat to U.S.

-There is no before, during, and after plan. It's just assumed that U.S. would launch a few missile and walk away from it. And that somehow will translate into a better situation. It will not! Iraq flowed with blood during and after invasion. As you have said, Iraq is still on training wheels long after Saddam being toppled. Who's to say Syria won't become the same? You cannot guarantee it.

-If policing bad guys of the world is what is being sought, then UN should be called into action, not a Team A situation like Iraq. Let UN sort it out through its chain of action, that way everyone gets to have a say for it or against it.

And there's the little issue of acting on bad intelligence in the not too distant past. You get the idea of what I'm saying. Or maybe you don't.
                              Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

Working...
                              X