Bangladesh declares Jamaat-i-Islami illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangladesh declares Jamaat-i-Islami illegal

I wish Pakistan would do the same to religious parties.

Bangladesh declares Jamaat illegal - DAWN.COM

DHAKA: The High Court in Dhaka on Thursday declared the registration of the Jamaat-i-Islami, the country’s biggest Islamic party, as a political party with the Bangladeshi election commission as illegal.

“It is hereby declared illegal,” said Moazzem Hossain, the chief judge hearing the case.

Security was tight in the Bangladeshi capital for the occasion, with fears that the verdict could trigger fresh unrest.

The high court announced its decision on the legality of Jamaat-i-Islami after a petition was lodged arguing the party's charter conflicted with the country’s secular constitution.

The decision could trigger fresh protests by Jamaat supporters in the politically volatile country, already reeling from deadly violence over war crime verdicts passed on Jamaat's top leadership.

Police officers and members of the elite Rapid Action Battalion had been deployed outside the court in central Dhaka ahead of the verdict in an attempt to prevent any violence.

“We have taken adequate security measures in and around the court area,” deputy commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police Maruf Hossain Sarder told AFP.

A leading Sufi group, which practices Islamic mysticism, and dozens of others filed the public interest litigation in January 2009 seeking to scrap Jamaat's registration just days after a secular government took power.

A lawyer for the petitioner, Sheikh Rafiqul Islam, told AFP on Wednesday that Jamaat's charter violates the secular constitution as it calls for religion centric laws and discriminates against minorities and women.

Defence lawyer Tazul Islam said no clause of the party charter was in conflict with the constitution.

Secular protesters have long demanded that Jamaat be banned for its role in the 1971 war of independence, during which it opposed Bangladesh's break away from Pakistan.

Top Jamaat leaders are being tried for crimes during the war and four of them have been sentenced to death for murder, mass murder, rape and religious persecution during the struggle.

Protests over the verdicts have sparked violence that has left at least 150 people dead during street clashes with security forces, Human Rights Watch said in a report released Thursday.

Jamaat says the trials are a sham aimed at eliminating the party, which is a key opposition force.

Abdullah Taher, a senior Jamaat official, accused the government of “persecuting” the party which has millions of loyal supporters.

“About 50,000 of our leaders and activists have been arrested since the first war crime verdict against our leaders,” he told AFP, adding that police have also filed cases against some half a million of its supporters.

About 90 per cent of Bangladesh's 153 million strong population are Muslim and the constitution was changed in 1988 making Islam the country’s state religion.

But the original constitution, drafted by the main secular party after independence, bars the use of religion in politics.
    All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

Re: Bangladesh declares Jamaat-i-Islami illegal

Then people endlessly moan why "secularism" is such a misunderstood, impractical and rejected ideology in Muslim countries.

Despite all its faults, Pakistan democracy is doing fine. We shouldn't look at Banana Republics like Bangladesh or Egypt for any ideas. Thanks but no thanks.

Anyway, most of these Bangladeshi jamaties are being tried for war crimes. Does Pakistan have a similar case against likes of JUI?

Comment

JI has been declared illegal as most Bangladeshis consider them traitors (due to their support to Pakistan) in 71 war and not their religious orientation as such.
      “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
        Then people endlessly moan why "secularism" is such a misunderstood, impractical and rejected ideology in Muslim countries.

Despite all its faults, Pakistan democracy is doing fine. We shouldn't look at Banana Republics like Bangladesh or Egypt for any ideas. Thanks but no thanks.

Anyway, most of these Bangladeshi jamaties are being tried for war crimes. Does Pakistan have a similar case against likes of JUI?
        Bangladesh is a Banana republic?

What they did is good and you dont like it , thats fine. You dont rule them anymore.
        Tu bhi villain ban sakta tha, "BILLA" ban sakta tha.....

Comment

Originally posted by kaka_in_usa View Post
          Bangladesh is a Banana republic?

What they did is good and you dont like it , thats fine. You dont rule them anymore.
          lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Ali_Syed View Post
            JI has been declared illegal as most Bangladeshis consider them traitors (due to their support to Pakistan) in 71 war and not their religious orientation as such.
            still this is pathetic step in my opinion.....jamat-e-islami has good support among bangladeshis

Comment

if they are consideerd traitors by most, and b-desh is a democracy, why the need to ban them as a political party? this is just political. both b-desh and pakistan are in for long struggles to establish identities between religion and cultural, non-religious vs. islamic statehood, etc etc. this is just one tiny battle in the war of attrition that is coming.
              Simple ain't easy.

Comment

I support this decision. There should be separation of religion & government. Religious parties should stick to social life and not government.

Comment

Good decision

Comment

That's not the legal reason cited. The article states the reason as being that as a political party with a religious focus, Jamaat-i-Islam has no place in a consitutionally secular country.

Which is the height of foolishness. If Islamists are prevented from working to change the country by participation in free democracy, what option does that leave them with in order to try to change the country? There is only one, and that is a dark path which needs only one word to explain: Algeria.
                    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                    Al-Ghazali

Comment

Well, no. The current ruling party has never been supported by JI, while the opposition has. The current government is executing a power grab. It is fanning the flames of the 71 conflict for political gain.

I mean, it's a tad late now...JI is a rather large organization that is a part of the body politic of Bangladesh. What next? Shall Pakistan declare Bangladesh a break-away province? It's all silly...

Pratically, it just means JI will disband, and reform under a different name. If, however, the ban will be extended to any religious party (and that seems to be the basis of the ban)...then your observation will be negated, and it woud be about religious orientation. Time will tell, though.

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT View Post
                        The article states the reason as being that as a political party with a religious focus, Jamaat-i-Islam has no place in a consitutionally secular country.
                        This is the problem in all muslim countries all their constitutions completely secular, even though population is over 90% muslim!

Comment

About time.

I am puzzled by above post.

By this logic, if you are in the majority you should NOT be secular? Would you maintain the same position if you lived in the west?
                          Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Originally posted by rommel View Post
                            This is the problem in all muslim countries all their constitutions completely secular, even though population is over 90% muslim!
                            Because for most sane Muslims, religion is a personal matter, not something to base their entire govt on... Bengali's were/are obviously far wiser then their erstwhile cousins in the Western wing. Its why they are advancing while Pakistan is regressing, and the fools think its because Pakistan isnt "Islamic" enough...
                            You know, My friends, with what a brave carouse I made a second Marriage in my house;
                            Favored old barren Reason from my bed, and took the daughter of the vine to spouse.
                            Omar Khayyam

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
                              About time.

I am puzzled by above post.

By this logic, if you are in the majority you should NOT be secular? Would you maintain the same position if you lived in the west?
                              These people make absolutely no sense. By this same logic, if the majority of people in a country ascribe to secularism, they should still be run by Islamic laws?
                              Its the same sort who will then say that Sharia law should be the law of the land in places like ENGLAND! A majority white Christian country!

They are so confused... Its a shame normal Muslims have to constantly defend themselves against the distorted notions of these confused and arrogant people.
                              You know, My friends, with what a brave carouse I made a second Marriage in my house;
                              Favored old barren Reason from my bed, and took the daughter of the vine to spouse.
                              Omar Khayyam

Comment

Working...
                              X