Peru and Chile in 'spy' scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peru and Chile in 'spy' scandal

A new diplomatic row has erupted between Peru and Chile after a Peruvian court ordered the arrest of two Chilean military officers over alleged spying.The court accused the officers of paying a Peruvian air force officer to reveal national secrets.

The officer, Victor Ariza Mendoza, has been arrested and charged with spying.

Tensions are already strained between the two countries following a military exercise staged by Chile last month near a disputed border with Peru.

Reports said Peru had recalled its ambassador to Chile for talks.

Peru's Foreign Minister, Jose Garcia Belaunde, told Reuters their delegation to the Asia-Pacific summit in Singapore would be leaving early because of the latest row.

Earlier, Peruvian media reported that President Alan Garcia had cancelled a meeting with his Chilean counterpart Michelle Bachelet at the Apec summit.

Lima-based El Comercio reported that Mr Ariza had worked at the Peruvian embassy in Santiago in 2003.

Peru and Chile have been embroiled in a bitter border dispute since the late 19th century, when Chile defeated Peru in the War of the Pacific.

The countries also disagree on their maritime border, and last year Peru took Chile to the international court in The Hague to seek a resolution.
    I said in search of my botni, not in search of my bhootni. Please stop sending me PMs.
Working...
X