Djokovic dashes Soderling hopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Djokovic dashes Soderling hopes

Novak Djokovic defeated Robin Soderling to reach the semi-finals of the Paris Masters and knock the Swede out of the running for the ATP World Tour Finals.Soderling had 14 break points against the third seed but only took three of them in a 6-4 1-6 6-3 defeat.

He needed to reach the final to have any hope of qualifying for the World Tour Finals at the O2 Arena.

Fernando Verdasco will fill the eighth berth in London unless Jo-Wilfried Tsonga successfully defends his title.

Verdasco was beaten in the third round in Paris, while Tsonga takes on Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals later on Friday.

The winner of that match will face Djokovic.

The other quarter-finals see Juan Martin del Potro take on Andy Murray's conqueror Radek Stepanek, and Gael Monfils meet Marin Cilic.

Soderling will be kicking himself after failing to take his chances against a below-par Djokovic.

The Swede had nine break points in the first set, but could take only one - when he drew level at 4-4.

However, three unforced errors in the very next game allowed Djokovic to break straight back and the Serb served out the set.

Soderling, who had lost all four of his previous matches against Djokovic, dropped only 11 points as he rattled through the second set and he had chances for an early break in the third.

But the world number three dug deep to see off the danger and Soderling blinked first in game eight.

"I'm very pleased to go through, it was a big struggle," said Djokovic.

"Mostly I was fighting myself today. In the second set I was not moving well and I was letting him control the match but in the end I managed to hold the nerves and focus."
    I said in search of my botni, not in search of my bhootni. Please stop sending me PMs.
Working...
X