Rooney hopes for new Man Utd deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rooney hopes for new Man Utd deal

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has indicated he would like to spend the rest of his career at Old Trafford.Barcelona are reportedly interested in Rooney but the 24-year-old England forward does not envisage leaving the club he joined from Everton in 2004.

"It is nice to be noticed but I am really happy at United," he said.

"I can't see myself leaving. I have two years left on my contract after this year and I'm sure we'll be negotiating a new deal in the next few months."

Rooney, who lives with his wife Coleen and recently-born baby Kai in Prestbury, added: "I love the place. It is 30 minutes from home and all my family, and I have got a great chance of winning trophies."

Since his arrival from Merseyside, Rooney has won the Champions League, three Premier League titles, the Carling Cup and Fifa Club World Cup.

"For me to be considered among the best players, I must win the World Cup with England"

Wayne Rooney

"Although I was an Everton fan, I loved watching United play," he said. "It probably started watching them from about 1994. Eric Cantona was brilliant in that team.

"He had something about him. You looked at him and he was so fearsome. And that was just on the television. Imagine playing up against him

"They won a lot of trophies too. But it was more than just that. It was the way they played and attacked. The way they played right to the end. They scored all those last-minute goals, which showed their desire to want to keep going.

"Now, I am there and I have won trophies there myself. I just want to win more."

Meanwhile, Rooney insists he cannot be regarded as a truly great player unless he wins the World Cup.

606: DEBATE
    "Do you see Rooney spending the rest of his career at Old Trafford and will he go down as an all-time United great"

David O, BBC Sport

He is set to play against Brazil, the world's top-ranked nation, for the first time when England take on Dunga's men in Doha on Saturday.

"There are players like George Best and (Cristiano) Ronaldo who are geniuses," said Rooney.

"But if you want to be compared to players like Romario and Ronaldo and be up there with them, I feel you have to win a World Cup.

"Ronaldo was one of the best, if not the best, forward ever. When he was at Barcelona, the things he did were incredible.

"In later years, Ronaldinho and Kaka were both world player of the year.

"For me to be considered among that group of players, I must win the World Cup with England."
    I said in search of my botni, not in search of my bhootni. Please stop sending me PMs.
Working...
X