X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharif brothers accused of money laundering

Ghar ka bedi lanka dhaiay

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Sharif brothers accused of money laundering

ISLAMABAD: Nawaz and Shahbaz Sharif have allegedly indulged in money laundering, according to one of their close associates and a high-profile PML-N leader, Ishaq Dar.

NAB Court documents have recently emerged which show that Senator Dar made some interesting revelations in an accountability court in April 2000.

The court was hearing the famous Hudaibiya Paper Mills case against the Sharif brothers.

The 43-page confessional statement of Senator Ishaq Dar was recorded on April 25th 2000 before the District Magistrate Lahore. Dar was produced before the court by the then Assistant Director Basharrat M Shahzad, of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).

Dar, in his statement had admitted that he had been handling the money matters of the Sharif family and he also alleged that Mian Nawaz Sharif and Mian Shahbaz Sharif were involved in money laundering worth at least $14.886 million.

The statement by Senator Ishaq Dar is irrevocable as it was recorded under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).

Senator Ishaq Dar is a high-profile PML-N leader and has always been considered close to the Sharif brothers as his son, Ali Dar, is married to Nawaz Sharif’s daughter, Asma.

But in April 2000 the top PML-N leadership had hit a rough patch by then and some of their loyal lieutenants were busy developing a new political system for General (retired) Pervez Musharraf after his October 1999 military coup.

In this context, Ishaq Dar accused Nawaz and Shahbaz Sharif of money laundering in the Hudaibiya Paper Mills case.

Interestingly, Ishaq Dar also implicated himself by confessing in the court that he – along with his friends Kamal Qureshi and Naeem Mehmood – had opened fake foreign currency accounts in different international banks.

He said that the entire amount in these banks finally landed in the accounts of Hudaibiya Paper Mills Limited.

Senator Ishaq Dar was the main witness against Nawaz and Shahbaz Sharif in the case.

The Hudaibiya Paper Mills case is still pending in the National Accountability Bureau.

Since the statement made by Dar was recorded under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code, the statement has become a permanent part of the case against the top PML-N leaders.

If the case is opened again, the Sharif brothers may discover that the tightening noose around them was originally prepared by one of their own family members and trusted lieutenant Senator Ishaq Dar.—DawnNews

Re: Sharif brothers accused of money laundering

I don't understand if this is a recent revelation by Ishaq Dar, or did he say that in 2000?!
    Anyone for clarification?
    kahoon kis se mein ye ja kar, meri qaum e bad-guloo ne
    mujhe qatl kar diya he, ba-gunah e khush nawaai
    - Josh

Comment

Originally posted by khoji
      don't understand if this is a recent revelation by Ishaq Dar, or did he say that in 2000?!
      Anyone for clarification?
      Here is more clarification. I wonder where is Zardari hate mafia? jaisay un ko saanp songh gaya ho

Those who bad mouthing Zardari for corruption, should have enough moral courrage and use their bad mouth here too.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | ?Sharifs used paper mill to whiten money?

ISLAMABAD: The Musharraf government prepared a money laundering reference against PML-N leaders Mian Nawaz Sharif and Mian Shahbaz Sharif in 2000 on the basis of a statement recorded by one of their trusted lieutenants, Senator Ishaq Dar, according to a court document seen by Dawn here on Thursday.

Senator Dar’s handwritten statement, given before a magistrate back on April 25, 2000, had alleged that Sharif brothers used the Hudaibya Paper Mills as cover for money laundering during the late 1990s.

The reference was prepared on the orders of then president Pervez Musharraf, but it was shelved after the Sharif brothers went into exile in December of the same year.

The Musharraf government tried to reopen the reference in 2007 after Nawaz Sharif announced his return to the country.

The confessional statement of Senator Ishaq Dar was recorded before a district magistrate in Lahore. He was brought to the court from a jail by Basharat Shahzad, who was then serving as assistant director in the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).

According to legal experts, the senator’s deposition was an `irrevocable statement’ as had been recorded under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).

Senator Ishaq Dar has always been regarded as one of the closest aides of the Sharif family, and is now also a relative as his son is married to Nawaz Sharif’s younger daughter.

However, the NAB record clearly shows that back in 2000 he had agreed to give a written statement against the Sharifs about their alleged involvement in money laundering.

The top PML-N leaders had hit a rough patch by then as some of their lieutenants were busy developing a new political system for Gen Pervez Musharraf after his Oct 1999 military coup.

In the statement, Ishaq Dar accused Nawaz and Shahbaz Sharif of money laundering in the Hudaibiya Paper Mills case.

At one point in the 43-page statement, Mr Dar said that on the instructions of Mian Nawaz Sharif and Shahbaz Sharif, ‘I opened two foreign currency accounts in the name of Sikandara Masood Qazi and Talat Masood Qazi with the foreign currency funds provided by the Sharif family in the Bank of America by signing as Sikandara Masood Qazi and Talat Masood Qazi’.

He said that all instructions to the bank in the name of these two persons were signed by him under the orders of ‘original depositors’, namely Mian Nawaz Sharif and Mian Shahbaz Sharif.

‘The foreign currency accounts of Nuzhat Gohar and Kashif Masood Qazi were opened in Bank of America by Naeem Mehmood under my instructions (based on instructions of Sharifs) by signing the same as Nuzhat Gohar and Kashif Masood Qazi.’

The document shows Dar stated that besides these foreign currency accounts, a previously opened foreign currency account of Saeed Ahmed, a former director of First Hajvari Modaraba Co and close friend of Dar, and of Mussa Ghani, the nephew of Dar’s wife, were also used to deposit huge foreign currency funds provided by ‘the Sharif family’ to offer them as collateral to obtain different direct and indirect credit lines.

Senator Dar had disclosed that the Bank of America, Citibank, Atlas Investment Bank, Al Barka Bank and Al Towfeeq Investment Bank were used under the instructions of the Sharif family.

Interestingly enough, Ishaq Dar also implicated himself by confessing in court that he — along with his friends Kamal Qureshi and Naeem Mehmood — had opened fake foreign currency accounts in different international banks.

Mr Dar said an amount of $3.725 million in Emirates Bank, $ 8.539 million in Al Faysal Bank and $2.622 million were later transferred in the accounts of the accounts Hudaibya Paper Mills.

He said that the entire amount in these banks finally landed in the accounts of the paper mills.

The Hudaibiya Paper Mills case is still pending in the National Accountability Bureau.

If it is opened again, the Sharif brothers may be in for a rude shock: a confidant is to blame for the albatross around their necks.

In this regard Dawn made repeated efforts to contact Senator Dar on telephone, but without luck as his mobile number was switched off and he did not reply to text messages.

However, a PML-N spokesman Siddiq ul Farooq alleged that the signed statement was extracted from Mr Ishaq Dar under duress.

Comment

Originally posted by niden View Post
        Here is more clarification. I wonder where is Zardari hate mafia? jaisay un ko saanp songh gaya ho

Those who bad mouthing Zardari for corruption, should have enough moral courrage and use their bad mouth here too.
        How are you different to Zardari hate mafia??? You seem to be one of the only people in Pakistan who support third class m***n like Zaradri.

As for Sharif brothers, there is no doubt they are corrupt and it's a pity how people have welcomed them without questioning their corrupt past. They have become the messiahs who worked day and night for free judiciary but where is the apology to people of Pakistan and why haven't they brought all the money back to Pakistan???

As for Zardari, it makes you look really silly when you defend him and blame Sharif brothers instead. If anything, Zardari is 10 times more corrupt and never did anything positive for the country.

Comment

Originally posted by mYsTeRiOuS_gUy
          How are you different to Zardari hate mafia??? You seem to be one of the only people in Pakistan who support third class m***n like Zaradri.

As for Zardari, it makes you look really silly when you defend him and blame Sharif brothers instead. If anything, Zardari is 10 times more corrupt and never did anything positive for the country.

I think you should read my posts thoroughly. I have never supported Zardari’s corruption scandals. Zardari imprisoned in Pakistani jails for 9 years unlike other chor politicians including NS and bigger military/navy chors who were more than involved with Zardari in stealing Pakistani money. They should have also gone to jail. But they enjoyed their lives as nothing wrong they had done. This is the major reason where I differ and condemned Zardari hate mafia. Their hate is just for sake of hate not for corruption. Where as they blamed Zardari and called him Mr. 10%, but close their eyes on others. This discrimination in corruption speaks of how much are they honest in their thoughts and in practical lives. I have yet to see hate Zardari Mafia to condemn military and other politicians for their corruption. Go to other threads opened on NS and auditor general accusation of military misappropriation and see yourself, what I am talking about.

Zardari is elected by NA with support from almost all parties, is doing what any president of Pakistan should do in present circumstances. If present parliament and senate have any objection to his leadership, they can replace him, there is no restriction. Till such time hate Zardari mafia should keep their bad mouths shut will be in the interest of Pakistan. They are allowed to criticize and condemn his actions if they feel it they are wrong but “garhay murday ukharhna band karain aor apni qamis ooper karnay se who khud nangay ho rahay hain, puri Pakistani qaum ko badnaam kar rahay hain”

Since his presidentship, Zardari has not done anything wrong and kept his profile low. His PPP is under enormous pressure from all sides including military. Let the democracy work and let them complete their 5 years.

Comment

PMLN is claiming that Dar gave the statement under duress.
            I am trying to find what Dar himself would say. Dawn reports that Dar could not be contacted.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | ?Sharifs used paper mill to whiten money?
            In this regard Dawn made repeated efforts to contact Senator Dar on telephone, but without luck as his mobile number was switched off and he did not reply to text messages.
            kahoon kis se mein ye ja kar, meri qaum e bad-guloo ne
            mujhe qatl kar diya he, ba-gunah e khush nawaai
            - Josh

Comment

Originally posted by khoji
              PMLN is claiming that Dar gave the statement under duress.
              I am trying to find what Dar himself would say. Dawn reports that Dar could not be contacted.
              What duress? Except they were really involved in corrupt practices.

Comment

Niden pai , NRO counter effect syndrome samjha karo

Comment

------

Comment

Good chance for zardari and his supporters, get these Sharif brothers behind bar, get all the govt agencies after them, lets prove them guilty... this is the least good zardari can do to nation.. but i guess zardari is busy negotiating his percentage with them.
                    For Religion, we'll fight, kill & die but will never follow it, where's the fun in that!

Comment

Originally posted by niden View Post
                      I think you should read my posts thoroughly. I have never supported Zardari’s corruption scandals. Zardari imprisoned in Pakistani jails for 9 years unlike other chor politicians including NS and bigger military/navy chors who were more than involved with Zardari in stealing Pakistani money. They should have also gone to jail. But they enjoyed their lives as nothing wrong they had done. This is the major reason where I differ and condemned Zardari hate mafia. Their hate is just for sake of hate not for corruption. Where as they blamed Zardari and called him Mr. 10%, but close their eyes on others. This discrimination in corruption speaks of how much are they honest in their thoughts and in practical lives. I have yet to see hate Zardari Mafia to condemn military and other politicians for their corruption. Go to other threads opened on NS and auditor general accusation of military misappropriation and see yourself, what I am talking about.
                      You may not support his 'corruption scandals' but you do love him and support as President of Pakistan, right or wrong?

The article shows money laundering worth approx $15 million... now how much money was laundered/kick-backs in SGS-Cotecna case? How about billions of bucks that Zardari has in assets abroad? Are you saying that his forefathers had that money abroad from generations?

All these haram-khors be it Zardari, Sharif, Altaf, Legharis, Bugtis etc are not sincere with nation, all they care about is their personal wealth, no regard for laws whatsoever. Laws are only for people like me and you.

Comment

It is time we the educated elite of Pak, get some sharam.

We accuse each other and our leaders based on rumors. Why rumors?

Look at this news item. This shameless so called sahafi has printed something based on document collected and prepared in 2000. That means almost 10 f'ing years have gone by and no body bothered to follow up on this case?

And if the case was followed up, where is the detail?

Why our news paper minions do a half @rse job, and then rest of us robots lap up that $hite.

The same is true with accusations against PPP leaders.

By now we should be sick and tired of these corruption probes that lead to utter dead ends and even deader cases.

Where is the attorney general on this case?

Until he picks up the case and gets it ready to present it in the court of law, we shouldn't even talk about it.

And

until a court of law actually determines that Zardari, Sharif, Chaudries etc. did infact commit corruption, then only then,

We should open thread and duke it out.

Why there are so many intellectually lazy people around here? why?

Comment

Whats new?

Everyone knows what happened when a night before Govt "nationalized" the foreign currency accounts after nuclear tests. High profile Govt officials (including close relatives of sharif Brothers) forced bank managers to open the banks LATE NIGHT and took out all of their foreign currency. Who got the beating? normal people who have 1000 may be 10k....15k...20k US$ sitting in the bank
                          Goyan keshk aqbat taskeen ast...Awal shor ast aqbat namkeen ast
                          Har chanz aasiyat sang zeerey...Ee surat-e-beqrar barbin ast

Comment

Originally posted by Decent 6Chora View Post
                            ..... High profile Govt officials (including close relatives of sharif Brothers) forced bank managers to open the banks LATE NIGHT and took out all of their foreign currency. ..
                            Care to add a link to this news?

Otherwise such postings remain stuck with categories such as "slander".

Comment

Originally posted by burqaposhx View Post
                              Care to add a link to this news?

Otherwise such postings remain stuck with categories such as "slander".
                              This is not a news
                              It is like universal truth
                              Eveyone knew it
                              Don't think about media
                              I give you a test
                              Just go to google
                              Go to any search engine
                              Go to all news sites of PAKISTAN
                              Search about Hussain Nawaz Sharif
                              The only son
                              Look at me
                              It is 4.30 AM here in Pakistan
                              Why I am here just passing the time
                              I do it daily
                              It is my 6th year
                              Because I have to care my son, You see him in picture.
                              What about that poor boy?
                              They are making money here Their aim Power
                              Power for money

Comment

Working...
                              X