Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan can stop drone raids: Air Chief

Pakistan can stop drone raids: Air Chief

KARACHI: Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said on Tuesday that Pakistan Air Force (PAF) is fully capable to stop drones’ flights and missile strikes.

He said that it was up to the government to decide whether it wanted to benefit from PAF capabilities and deter the aggressors violating territorial integrity of the country.

Air Chief Marshal made these remarks while speaking to newsmen during IDEAS-2008 exhibition at the Expo Center here.

Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said that most of the fighter jets of PAF would complete their life span over the next few years after which JF-17 fighter jets (co-developed by China) would be phased in to replace the aging fleet.

“The fighter jets of Pakistan Air Force are fully capable to carry all types of warheads, Air Chief added.

==================================

So this throws the ball in Govt court. Some of the ministers were very vocal about how we can not do anything about the drones. To me this interview of Air Chief shows 3 +ive things

- Pakistan can stop (or at least try to stop) the drones

- Armed Forces want to come out clean of this. They want to tell people that they can do it and are waiting for Govt orders

- Armed forces are in fact distancing themselves from power/decision making.

I personally think we should start from demonstrations instead of shooting (or try to shoot) the planes. If we can get million people on street over 2-3 weekends, this would send a clear message and Govt can tell US that they are under tremendous pressure. 2nd step may be cutting out the supply lines and so on. As of today I don’t see any party is interested in show of power/pressure. They talk endlessly on TV about this but dont do anything in real. Discussion in parliament is good but it should be backed up by show of street power/pressure too
    Goyan keshk aqbat taskeen ast...Awal shor ast aqbat namkeen ast
    Har chanz aasiyat sang zeerey...Ee surat-e-beqrar barbin ast

Re: Pakistan can stop drone raids: Air Chief

On the other hand, the minister for defense production is saying that Pakistan will be able to make defence mechanism against high altitude reconnaissance aircraft in one year.

Btw, do we have two ministers, one for defense and other for defense production ???

Comment

^ I guess this is the first time we have divided this into 2 ministries (coz of tonz on ministers). Before this we always had only "defense" minister.
      Goyan keshk aqbat taskeen ast...Awal shor ast aqbat namkeen ast
      Har chanz aasiyat sang zeerey...Ee surat-e-beqrar barbin ast

Comment

May be PAF can shoot down Indian drones...
        The art of entering into Nothingness.

Comment

all loud mouthing and blabbering for nothing. Exactly what capability are we talking about?

Wasn't that couple of months back when American special forces landed their choppers in Pak territory, killed a few peeps here n there like wild cowboys and snuck back to Afghanistan. Where was PAF and its so called deterring capabilities at that moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Zabardast View Post
            May be PAF can shoot down Indian drones...
            They already have couple times. At one time a picture was posted of the wreackage, someone also posted on youtube, don't have teh link anymore.. This incident was in 2002 I believe.

DEBKAfile - Pakistan Downs Indian Spy Drone Made in Israel

Pakistan Downs Indian Spy Drone Made in Israel

Another link.
            http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/12652379.cms

Comment

Originally posted by coOoLBreeze View Post
              On the other hand, the minister for defense production is saying that Pakistan will be able to make defence mechanism against high altitude reconnaissance aircraft in one year.

Btw, do we have two ministers, one for defense and other for defense production ???
              Defence Minister is owner of Service Shoes Company and more interested in Mochi Puna than making missiles. Defence Production Minister is Jotai , i think from Muzzafargarh . But interesting thing both of them dont know even the ABC of defence and just given posts to make Minsiters Army to reach no. of 55 !

Comment

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. After all, the Americans can disable all of PAF in few weeks time if they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by desert bird View Post
                  Defence Minister is owner of Service Shoes Company and more interested in Mochi Puna than making missiles. Defence Production Minister is Jotai , i think from Muzzafargarh . But interesting thing both of them dont know even the ABC of defence and just given posts to make Minsiters Army to reach no. of 55 !
                  You grossly under estimating the Service Group. shoes is a start, they are into textiles, rubber and tyres, polymers, medical supplies ie infusion sets, water treatments filters etc. that i can tell from limited knowledge of mine. and that information was true 10 years ago.
                  now google it.

Comment

Originally posted by Decent 6Chora View Post
                    ^ I guess this is the first time we have divided this into 2 ministries (coz of tonz on ministers). Before this we always had only "defense" minister.
                    not only that some of our ex-PMs used to keep the defence portfolio themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Waahid Doyum View Post
                      Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. After all, the Americans can disable all of PAF in few weeks time if they want to.
                      This is not what Pan-Islamists want to hear. They would rather get Pakistan destroyed by the US airforce. Pan-Islamists and Pan-Hinuduists are united in their hatred for Pakistan and Pakistani army.

Who knew Hindu-Pundits, Arab-extremists, and Jamat Islami would all be drinking *together*
                      Last edited by Spock; Nov 26, 2008, 11:44 AM. Reason: ^ No need to poke fun at religious beleifs

Comment

Originally posted by burqaposh
                        This is not what Pan-Islamists want to hear
                        This is nothing to do with Pan-Isalmists. Pakistan is a soveraign country. US aid doesnot mean that country has allowed outside forces to act at their will and attack villages and cities indiscriminately. This should stop.
                        Note from your friendly admins..Gotcha Chanda:
                        bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when we come for you.
                        (multinick-- BANNED.)

Comment

Originally posted by feelabiship View Post
                          . Pakistan is a soveraign country. US aid doesnot mean that country has allowed outside forces to act at their will and attack villages and cities indiscriminately. This should stop.
                          What makes you think it is only the aid to Pakistan that is keeping Pakistan from acting against these attacks. After all ... as Musharaf had mentioned ... Pakistan did a u turn after 9/11 NOT because of aid but because of " being bombed to stoneage".

So if General M could be scared of the Americas what makes you think Zardari would not be ...... i mean if a military guy changes his policy under threat ..... this guy is a civilan he has no confidence if his army can deliver should he issues a threat !!!!!!!

Comment

Oh, the weapons market is very big one. You can buy anything these days., but you require very tuff SEAT OF PANTS to fire them specially when they are US drones!!!!!hah! hah! ...........................

Comment

Originally posted by imnindian View Post
                              Oh, the weapons market is very big one. You can buy anything these days., but you require very tuff SEAT OF PANTS to fire them specially when they are US drones!!!!!hah! hah! ...........................
                              And even a tougher seat to operate one! Pakistan downed a Israeli made Indian drone in 2002.

Would you like to read about it?
                              Metric fail jiyalas abhor me!

Comment

Working...
                              X