Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about the Biharis????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What about the Biharis????

    Biharis demand Pakistan repatriation


    Leaders of tens of thousands of mainly Urdu-speaking people in Bangladesh, have renewed their call to hold talks with the Pakistani President, Pervez Musharraf, when he visits Dhaka on Monday.
    The group, known as Biharis, are calling on the Bangladeshi and Pakistani authorites to allow their repatriation to Pakistan.

    Bangladeshi and Pakistani officials have said the status of the Biharis will be discussed between Mr Musharraf and his host, Prime Minister Khaleda Zia.

    Some 300,000 Biharis have been demanding the right to return to Pakistan, following the independence of Bangladesh in 1971.

    From the newsroom of the BBC World Service \
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2157138.stm
    What do you guys know about these people? How did they end up in Bangladesh...
    Is it possible for Pakistan to repatriate 300,000 people???
    Will the Biharis find it difficult to adjust to life in Pakistan considering most have spent thier entire lives in Bagladesh, particualrly the new generation... Im afraid they will just be dissapointed when they come to Pakistan, what is there that Pakistan could offer them? Certainly not a better life?
    Still, I would be proud to have these people.

    #2
    Perhaps Punjab will allow them entry? How about creating a Bihar Town in middle of Lahore?

    Comment


      #3
      I say bring them to Pakistan and settle them in Blochistan. I don't seen anything wrong with that.
      All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Shamraz Khan:
        I say bring them to Pakistan and settle them in Blochistan. I don't seen anything wrong with that.
        Haha, the old Pakistani way of keeping the locals under control. Maybe you should ask the Balochs first about what you do with their land?

        Comment


          #5
          Maula buksh, why do you seem so familiar...

          btw, your attempts at mudslinging and promoting provincial disharmony will not be successful here...

          [This message has been edited by Spock (edited July 29, 2002).]

          Comment


            #6

            Well I must say that both Maula Bakhs as well as Shamraz Khan's suggestions are well taken. WHy not Punjab? Why can't we settle people in Balochistan? These are after all our part of the country. WHy every body is to be brought to Karachi. Oh, well, i didn't intend to start a debate on ethnicity and I am also not sufferring from ethnocentrism..
            But whats wrong with repatriating those Biharis back. Punjab isn't for punjabis alone nor is balochistan for Baloch's exclusively.
            I believe that it is high time the problem of these Biharis be tackled and sort out once and for all. ITs been three generations of these people who have spent their lives in the camps.
            When we can bring in Bosnian muslims, host 3 million Afghans (who never accepted us) , why can't we bring back these people who are suffering just because they supported Pakistan.
            However, these people should be brought on a condition that they would not start any sort of agitation or be part of partisian politics.
            Karachi alone is a host to millions of illegal migrants from Burma, Bangladesh and Afghans.THese people donot even come under the definition of a refugee. (not even Afghans anymore)
            So,it is indeed the need of the hour to tackle this issue which is also one of the hurdle in building up smooth relations between Pakistan and Bangladesh. IT can indeed be an important CBM (confidence building measure) between the two countries.


            [This message has been edited by lost soul (edited July 29, 2002).]

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Maula Baksh:
              Perhaps Punjab will allow them entry? How about creating a Bihar Town in middle of Lahore?
              There allready exist an bihar colony in Rawalpindi near the area of muslim town. its inhabitants are counted in thousands and there is absolutly no problems about it neither have I heard some "locals" talk negative like some people here allways do.
              BTW about 40% of the population in Rawalpindi is not local but from people elsewhere. like pashtun, kurds, sindi, balochi e.t.c. and I find it quit okay because it strenghten the cosmopolitan picture of the town as all of Pakistan should be like that. Its in total line with the basic ideas of being a muslim society.

              Anyway I think that we should welcome all Biharies without any delay, and they should be taken into confidence and settle the issue according to there wishes, but offcourse the issue has to be solved taking "local people" into confidense.
              If the Biharies wants to settle down in Punjab its fine with me no objections at all, Im not an etno rasicist as some others here like the sindudesh bu11sh1t we hear around here.

              LOST SOUL : I dont agree with you that 3 million Afghans never accepted "us" I dont think that either you or me have met 3 millions or just hundreds to convict 3 millions of them to be against PK.
              Anyway the motive to give asylum should never be "love us or leave" thats not an islamic way of thinking but an european approach.
              In islam you ar bound to give refuge to anybody who need your help, no matter which tribe, ethnic group or religion the refugee belong to, and the reward for that is given by Allah and not the refugee him/herself.
              I know that my opinion sounds optimistic but on the other hand tolerance and help is basics in Islam and we should surely stick to it. Otherwise we only have an egocentric, caste and ethnic orientated PK left which was never the aim or goal of those who fought for independence for our beloved country.

              WELCOME TO THE BIHARIES AND EVERYBODY ELSE WHO SEE PAKISTAN AS THERE HOMELAND TO BE OR BECOME.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ZII:

                BTW about 40% of the population in Rawalpindi is not local but from people elsewhere. like pashtun, kurds, sindi, balochi e.t.c.
                Pindi does not have a significnat Sindhi, Baloch population. It has mostly Punjabis and some Pathans.

                And you can start swearing at Sindh till you are blue on the face, but it won't change the huge resentment existing(and growing) over their treatment as a virtual 'colony' of Punjab. This feelin is evident in the biggest city, Karachi, to the smallest village.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I dont think this is a matter of which province we settle these people in.. I could care less if these people were settled on boats of Gawadar coast.. Point is, can the govt afford these people, will they have the jobs the need, will they be provided with basic things such as water, electricity etc... Will they be able to adjust their lives to completely different culture... Pakistan is very different from Bagladesh.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by lost soul:

                    Well I must say that both Maula Bakhs as well as Shamraz Khan's suggestions are well taken. WHy not Punjab? Why can't we settle people in Balochistan? These are after all our part of the country. WHy every body is to be brought to Karachi. Oh, well, i didn't intend to start a debate on ethnicity and I am also not sufferring from ethnocentrism..
                    But whats wrong with repatriating those Biharis back. Punjab isn't for punjabis alone nor is balochistan for Baloch's exclusively.
                    I believe that it is high time the problem of these Biharis be tackled and sort out once and for all. ITs been three generations of these people who have spent their lives in the camps.
                    When we can bring in Bosnian muslims, host 3 million Afghans (who never accepted us) , why can't we bring back these people who are suffering just because they supported Pakistan.
                    However, these people should be brought on a condition that they would not start any sort of agitation or be part of partisian politics.
                    Karachi alone is a host to millions of illegal migrants from Burma, Bangladesh and Afghans.THese people donot even come under the definition of a refugee. (not even Afghans anymore)
                    So,it is indeed the need of the hour to tackle this issue which is also one of the hurdle in building up smooth relations between Pakistan and Bangladesh. IT can indeed be an important CBM (confidence building measure) between the two countries.


                    [This message has been edited by lost soul (edited July 29, 2002).]
                    Good point

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ZII:
                      There allready exist an bihar colony in Rawalpindi near the area of muslim town. its inhabitants are counted in thousands and there is absolutly no problems about it neither have I heard some "locals" talk negative like some people here allways do.
                      BTW about 40% of the population in Rawalpindi is not local but from people elsewhere. like pashtun, kurds, sindi, balochi e.t.c. and I find it quit okay because it strenghten the cosmopolitan picture of the town as all of Pakistan should be like that. Its in total line with the basic ideas of being a muslim society.

                      Anyway I think that we should welcome all Biharies without any delay, and they should be taken into confidence and settle the issue according to there wishes, but offcourse the issue has to be solved taking "local people" into confidense.
                      If the Biharies wants to settle down in Punjab its fine with me no objections at all, Im not an etno rasicist as some others here like the sindudesh bu11sh1t we hear around here.

                      LOST SOUL : I dont agree with you that 3 million Afghans never accepted "us" I dont think that either you or me have met 3 millions or just hundreds to convict 3 millions of them to be against PK.
                      Anyway the motive to give asylum should never be "love us or leave" thats not an islamic way of thinking but an european approach.
                      In islam you ar bound to give refuge to anybody who need your help, no matter which tribe, ethnic group or religion the refugee belong to, and the reward for that is given by Allah and not the refugee him/herself.
                      I know that my opinion sounds optimistic but on the other hand tolerance and help is basics in Islam and we should surely stick to it. Otherwise we only have an egocentric, caste and ethnic orientated PK left which was never the aim or goal of those who fought for independence for our beloved country.

                      WELCOME TO THE BIHARIES AND EVERYBODY ELSE WHO SEE PAKISTAN AS THERE HOMELAND TO BE OR BECOME.
                      We should welcome them, but only once our economy can support them... Perhaps a few hundred at a time is whats called for..

                      Comment


                        #12
                        These are the people who sided with West Pakistani forces in 1971. They have been asking to be allowed into Pakistan ever since. Bangldeshi consider these Urdu speaker traitors as far as I know. So how much longer should they wait?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The problem is probably more easily solvable then anyone realises
                          There are nealry 2 million Bengalis residing in Karachi
                          who not launch an exchange programme the remianing Bengalis who want to stay back in karachi can be given work permits and will have to pay income tax as well...

                          Karachi is overlloaded with immigrants..get rid of the non Pakistani ones and plug the borders...there won't be the whiff of a probelm
                          How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Zakk:
                            The problem is probably more easily solvable then anyone realises
                            There are nealry 2 million Bengalis residing in Karachi
                            who not launch an exchange programme the remianing Bengalis who want to stay back in karachi can be given work permits and will have to pay income tax as well...

                            Karachi is overlloaded with immigrants..get rid of the non Pakistani ones and plug the borders...there won't be the whiff of a probelm


                            I agree above with Zakk.

                            BD takes 2 million Bengalis from Pakistan.

                            Paksitan will take 30,000 Biharis from BD

                            Sounds Great
                            PAKISTAN - ALL THE WAY

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I don't know why every issue has to be made into a provincial one... its rediculuos... I'm from Gujranwala Punjab... and I actually hope that Biharis... who have suffered so much for Pakistan are brought there.... I would to call them my neighbours...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X