Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Attaur Rahman: World highest density media processor....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Attaur Rahman: World highest density media processor....

ISLAMABAD, August 02 (PNS): Federal minister for science and technology Dr Attaur Rahman Thursday said that world highest density media processor had been produced by local engineers.

Addressing the launching of Next Generation Telecom Solution powered by Awaz Multi Processor Technology, federal minister said, "we see something outstanding taking place, as world class product (processor) has been shaped."

Appreciating the efforts of Awaz Network, who has produced the processor, he said that government were supporting such projects and soon Pakistan would become a leading country in field of science and technology.

There is a need to realize what sort of changes taking place at global level, the minister said and added, "for that we need to invest in our scientists, build up mind and develop education."

Prof Atta said that the country did not need billion of people but few people were required to be nourished so that they can produce the best for the country.

The federal minister said that the R&D fund of PTCL worth $600 million would be utilized for boosting science and technology in the country.

The three pillars for the development of state that is agriculture, industries, and defense could not stand in isolation from the 4th pillar, science and technology, Dr Atta acknowledged.

Discussing progress in field of information technology, Dr Atta said, "Remarkable development happened in infrastructure adding country's own satellite will be launched on December 24."

Earlier Dr Shoaib Khan from Awaz network briefed the participants about the chip. He said, "we have designed our own processor and kept all things on a single chip that has the facility of 2000 telephone calls."

Besides this, Automatic Call Distribution System (ACD) has been installed in Peshawar to handle voice; he informed and explained that it is a conversion network coupled telephone and data network. The voice is converted into data and then again to voice, he said.

PTCL chairman Akhtar Bajwa said that PTCL is working in collaboration with private companies to promote indigenous technology. "We want development of technologies through local companies, who have achieved la andmark today."

PTCL monopoly, Bajwa said, will be ended by the year end thus other companies will get a chance to join the competition and exploit the opportunities for the betterment of the country.
    www.paknews.com

------------------
    "It was around 3a.m.
    When I saw this bright flash. After that I felt
    these long fingers holding me down.
    I woke up floating in a jar with tubes sticing out of my sides."
    -Zulfi, 22

Earlier Dr Shoaib Khan from Awaz network briefed the participants about the chip. He said, "we have designed our own processor and kept all things on a single chip that has the facility of 2000 telephone calls."
    Dr. Shoaib Khan happens to be my teacher... He is a PhD from Georgia Tech and is an army officer and holds the rank of major. He is also in the talent pool of Pakistan, happens to be a gold medalist, and also worked for NASA during his PhD. He has been teaching at the College of E&ME, National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) for quite a while now, and has been associated with the computer department there (my dept ). We (Batch-21-Compute-Eng) have also worked in this processor and worked on its Real Time Operating System.

The funny thing is, Avaz Networks is being funded by a Jewish person in Irvine California, and its the only computer company in Islamabad worth talking about. Some of our brothers here are suggesting we throw away foriegn (possibley US) investors, and they should know that if we do, we loose few companies such as Avaz Networks. Great people like Dr. Major Shoiab Khan are available in Pakistan, but we dont have the resources to fund such a company and its massive projects. This particular prototype processor was fabricated in Taiwan, as that was the closest fabrication facility.

This DSP Processor marks a triumphant spot for Pakistan, as no third world country has developed such a DSP processor as yet.

Hats off to Dr. Shaoib Khan, the engineers of E&ME College (NUST) , Avaz Networks and
    everyone associated with this project!!!

[This message has been edited by Spock (edited August 02, 2002).]

Comment

Professor Dr. Atta-ur-Rahman is a fine person

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
        Professor Dr. Atta-ur-Rahman is a fine person
        Nah, he maybe a fine person, but the person to give credit here is Dr. Shoaib Ahmed Khan, as he was the brains behind this processor!!! I have studied from many teachers, both in Pakistan and the US, but he was certainly the best!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
          Nah, he maybe a fine person, but the person to give credit here is Dr. Shoaib Ahmed Khan, as he was the brains behind this processor!!! I have studied from many teachers, both in Pakistan and the US, but he was certainly the best!!!
          Guess what, the Chairman & CEO of AWAZ neworks is Safi Qureshey the founder of world famous AST research.
          http://www.avaz.com/about/details/index.html

MANAGEMENT TEAM:
          AVAZ has built a very strong technical team that has successfully implemented the SoCs and the soft engine, thereby mitigating the technology risk considerably. To compliment this strong technical team, AVAZ has also put together a very experienced management team to ensure successful rollout of its products.

Safi Qureshey, Chairman & CEO. Founder and former Chairman/ CEO of AST Research, a garage based start up that grew to become a Fortune 500 company with more than $2.5 billion in annual revenue and operating in more than 100 countries. Safi is the seed investor and Board Member of Next Card (NASDAQ: NXCD) and PowerWave (NASDAQ: PWAV). Safi is the President of The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE), Southern California Chapter.

Sherjil Ahmed, President. Sherjil is a co-founder and former CTO of AVAZ Networks. Sherjil has been instrumental in building AVAZ from the ground up to its current size. Sherjil has ten years of industry experience in design, marketing, sales, business development and manufacturing, and has held increasingly responsible positions at Ortel Corporation, Scientific Atlanta, and GTRI.

Dr. Shoab Khan, Chief Technology Officer. Shoab is a co-founder of AVAZ. Shoab is a PhD in Digital Signal Processing from the Georgia Institute of Technology with over 12 years of industry experience at Cisco Systems, Scientific Atlanta and ADI. Shoab's area of expertise is the hardware-software partitioning and implementation of DSP algorithms. He has more than 15 publications in technical journals and holds numerous patents.

Dr. Farrukh Kamran, Vice President, Engineering. Farrukh is a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology. Farrukh has twelve years of experience in control systems and digital communications at companies like Silicon Power Corporation and HiPo Electronics. Farrukh has authored several technical publications published in IEEE transaction.

Tony Cowan. Before joining AVAZ, Tony Cowan held senior management and technical positions at Ortel (now part of Agere Systems), Scientific-Atlanta and Ericsson. His experience spans 17 years in cable, satellite, telecom & wireless network applications including ASICs and embedded hardware/software subsystems. Tony has worked closely with the AVAZ technical team and customers to develop the VoP and cable product roadmaps for both silicon and software components.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited August 02, 2002).]

Comment

Thanks Jonny Walker!!!

Dr. Shoab Khan, Chief Technology Officer. Shoab is a co-founder of AVAZ. Shoab is a PhD in Digital Signal Processing from the Georgia Institute of Technology with over 12 years of industry experience at Cisco Systems, Scientific Atlanta and ADI. Shoab's area of expertise is the hardware-software partitioning and implementation of DSP algorithms. He has more than 15 publications in technical journals and holds numerous patents.

Dr. Farrukh Kamran, Vice President, Engineering. Farrukh is a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology. Farrukh has twelve years of experience in control systems and digital communications at companies like Silicon Power Corporation and HiPo Electronics. Farrukh has authored several technical publications published in IEEE
            This second guy Dr. Furrukh, is our Microprocessor Design and Image Processing Teacher, and though hes a bit strict when it comes to marking, hes a very friend guy!!! When I was an internee at Avaz, he was my supervisor... His best advice to us 'Never keep thund!'

Comment

Thanks Jonny Walker!!!

This second guy Dr. Furrukh, is our Microprocessor Design and Image Processing Teacher, and though hes a bit strict when it comes to marking, hes a very friend guy!!! When I was an internee at Avaz, he was my supervisor... His best advice to us 'Never keep thund!'
              Hey Spock I am also PhD. PhD in Khilafat..

Comment

there are many exceptionally smart and Capable Pakistanis.... unfortunately they have a tough time when the go back to Pakistan and try to help....by the way Spock can you explain what this is for the non technical mind.... Processors for Dummies

[This message has been edited by Bhadsha (edited August 02, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Bhadsha:
                  there are many exceptionally smart and Capable Pakistanis.... unfortunately they have a tough time when the go back to Pakistan and try to help....by the way Spock can you explain what this is for the non technical mind.... Processors for Dummies

[This message has been edited by Bhadsha (edited August 02, 2002).]
                  Baadsha, this processor is not like the ordinary Pentium processor etc... Its called a Very Long Instruction Word (VLIW) Processor, and its a dedicated processor... You must have heard about the 'Itanium Processor', and this processor is pretty similar to that, except that it has a better approach. This type of processor can be used in different situations, such as handling many cable modems, telephone lines etc... Texas instruments also makes such DSP processors, but they are actually trainers for dsp students rather than actual processors.

This company (avaz net), formerly called Enabling Technologies mostly consists of PhDs in Digital Signal Processing in the top brass, a very hot computer engineering subject these days. Most of them were friends from Georgia Tech. They also actively hire internees from NUST and GIKI and give very interesting projects to them.

They have also started their own institute recently, and its called CASE (Center for Advanced Scientific Engineering) and the webpage for that is...
                  www.case.edu.pk
                  http://www.case.edu.pk/Faculty/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited August 02, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                      btw, im also PhD, but im PhD in that post that your highness has assigned me!!!

Comment

btw, im also PhD, but im PhD in that post that your highness has assigned me!!!

Spock, you from EME college?

Comment

Originally posted by zaavia:
                          Spock, you from EME college?

yep , I was from EME...

Comment

Actually I have done my masters, partially from EME college, and I was lucky that Dr. Shoab and Dr. Farrukh taught our class too.

Comment

Originally posted by zaavia:
                              Actually I have done my masters, partially from EME college, and I was lucky that Dr. Shoab and Dr. Farrukh taught our class too.

Hey!! When did you do your masters from? Maybe I know you, though I was a BE student... btw, were you in that split programme? if so, where did you do your rest of the masters from? MSU or Australia? What did Dr. Shaoib teach you guys? DSP???

[This message has been edited by Spock (edited August 03, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X