Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistani journalists Beaten,harassed, intimidated by Musharraf regime#

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...502EDT0478.DTL

Newspaper editor Muzaffar Ejaz once was known by colleagues for his strong nerves and opinions. But after he disappeared for a few hours last week, he came back shaken and close-mouthed.

Ejaz won't talk publicly about what happened to him in those nighttime hours. But associates at his newspaper, Jasarat (Courage), say he was abducted, handcuffed, covered with a hood and hauled to an unknown location by men angry over a story his paper had published about Pakistan's top intelligence agency. His ordeal was the latest incident of harassment - in some cases, beatings - in what journalists and advocacy groups call a campaign of intimidation by Pakistan's often-shadowy power structures.

While the murder-kidnapping of American reporter Daniel Pearl this year drew world attention to the dangers for foreign media in Pakistan, the perils for the country's own journalists have attracted less notice - partly because the journalists themselves are wary of bringing more trouble upon themselves.

The president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, who took power in a 1999 bloodless coup, has pledged full press freedom. But Abdul Hameed Chhapra, chairman of the All Pakistan Newspaper Employees Confederation, says the government is allowing law-enforcement and secret service agencies to act with impunity.

"They have become so bold now that they have started intimidating the national press," he said.

The government appears to give a cold shoulder to the complaints. "We will look into it," was Interior Minister Moinuddin Haider's curt answer when asked about the issue last week.

Among the journalists who advocates say have been harassed is Shakil Shaikh of the English-language daily newspaper The News. In March, five men abducted and beat him after his article criticizing the performance of an army general.

Even the wrong question can bring harsh retaliation, critics say.

Faraz Hashmi, a reporter for the daily Dawn, was badly beaten on an Islamabad street after a news conference with Musharraf, in which Hashmi asked whether the country as a whole, or just its generals, would benefit from aid coming in after Musharraf's decision to side with the United States in the anti-terrorism campaign.

Another journalist, Masood Malik, was removed from his reporter position at the Urdu-language Nawa-i-Waqt newspaper in July 2001 within hours of asking Musharraf at a news conference whether a summit with Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee would have been more successful if Pakistan had been represented by a politician rather than a military leader.

The newspaper said the question was not in line with its policy, but Malik and critics say the government put pressure on the newspaper to fire him.

Jasarat on July 16 reported that Lt. Gen. Ehtesham Zamir Jaffery, deputy director of InterService Intelligence, the country's top secret-service agency, had been given the task of trying to unify various Muslim League factions ahead of this fall's parliamentary elections and that he had failed to do so.

That day, according to Reporters Without Borders and Pakistani journalists, Ejaz was interrogated by an ISI officer about where he got the information. Ejaz refused to say, but offered to run an article detailing the army's version of the issue; the ISI officer refused.

Eight days later, at about 10:30 p.m., Ejaz was seized, placed in a hood and handcuffs and taken away, others say. According to the accounts, he returned home about 4 a.m.

Ejaz won't say what happened in those hours. It's not clear whether he was hurt during the abduction.

In a similar case, Ghulam Hasnain, a Karachi-based journalist working for the American weekly magazine Time and the Pakistani magazine Newsline, disappeared on Jan. 22. He returned home in the early morning of Jan. 24.

Like Ejaz, Hasnain refused to say what happened to him, but his wife said at the time that he was severely shaken. Colleagues speculated that he was kidnapped by security agencies because of an article on Daoud Ibrahim, an Indian underworld figure.

comment: Why is musharaff behaving like a gangster and threathing journalists. It is disgusting behaviour just because people hate him he cannot force people to like him and praise him!

So much for 'press freedom' under Mush.

Army/intelligence agencies are paid to protect the people of Pakistan, instead they just act like goondas towards them.

Comment

Also posted here: http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum4/HTML/004910.html

Musharraf junta is getting out of control. Time to do a Zia on him.

Comment

to me it just seems like the "journalists" aren't getting there envelopes as such are now making absurd arguments against the gov't.... its interesting the Najam $hitty didn;t level an accusation

Comment

Originally posted by Bhadsha:
          to me it just seems like the "journalists" aren't getting there envelopes as such are now making absurd arguments against the gov't.... its interesting the Najam $hitty didn;t level an accusation
          Grasping at straws? Truth hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Maula Baksh:
            Also posted here: http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum4/HTML/004910.html

Musharraf junta is getting out of control. Time to do a Zia on him.
            'janta'... Your Indian nature has been exposed... We dont use the term janta in Pakistan whacko... Although its evident youre not a Pakistan, cuz virtually all of your stupid posts are anti-Pakistani

Comment

Hain?

Where's the article of this act by Najim Sethi?

Comment

Spock, I am anti Army not anti-Pakistan. Junta is not an Indian word and it is used in Pakistan and everywhere else.

Comment

"'janta'... Your Indian nature has been exposed... We dont use the term janta in Pakistan whacko... Although its evident youre not a Pakistan, cuz virtually all of your stupid posts are anti-Pakistani"
                  by spock

hahahaha nice one.
                  The sight of takin' an Indian outta his
                  disguise, always amuses me. lol.

------------------
                  "It was around 3a.m.
                  When I saw this bright flash. After that I felt
                  these long fingers holding me down.
                  I woke up floating in a jar with tubes sticing out of my sides."
                  -Zulfi, 22

Comment

Spock, I am anti Army not anti-Pakistan. Junta is not an Indian word and it is used in Pakistan and everywhere else.
                    Yeah right... I live in Pakistan, and we all use the word 'awam' not 'janta'... So know your facts kakay...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                      Yeah right... I live in Pakistan, and we all use the word 'awam' not 'janta'... So know your facts kakay...
                      Spock this individual has been banned few times before this time it will be by IP address so changing nics won't help.

Comment

your Anti everything.. I haven't seen you say good thing about anything.... your one derpressed soul.... thanx for exposing him Spock

Comment

Not that I have to prove anything to you bachas, but I suggest you look up the word junta in a dictionary.

And I'm a realist, and reality tells me that Pakistan is sinking under the weight of the army.

Comment

Not that I have to prove anything to you bachas, but I suggest you look up the word junta in a dictionary.

And I'm a realist, and reality tells me that Pakistan is sinking under the weight of the army.
                            No need to make excuses now... For the last time, janta is not an Urdu word, and anyone who has atleast a drop of Pakistani blood, will use the word awam...

Sir Abdali the great, PM me his previous nicks, as Id love to compare your list with mine...

So MaulaBaksh, jai ram, hare oom, and vandematram...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                              No need to make excuses now... For the last time, janta is not an Urdu word, and anyone who has atleast a drop of Pakistani blood, will use the word awam...

Sir Abdali the great, PM me his previous nicks, as Id love to compare your list with mine...

So MaulaBaksh, jai ram, hare oom, and vandematram...

Spock

Just look MB comments at Pakistan regimes comparison thread, where he describes Pakistan as West Pakistan.

Janta - Urdu Word LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X