Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strike hits Musharraf in Bangladesh despite regret over 1971 war

http://www.dawn.com/2002/07/30/welcome.htm

Strike hits Musharraf in Bangladesh despite regret over 1971 war: DHAKA, July 30: A nation-wide general strike hit visiting Pervez Musharraf in Bangladesh today as leading figures condemned his statement of regret over the 1971 independence war. A senior lawmaker in Bangladesh's main opposition Awami League said Musharraf's regret was not enough. "It fell short of an unconditional apology and his comments were an attempt to fool Bangladeshis," Abdul Jalil told AFP. Musharraf was given a red-carpet welcome by Prime Minister Khaleda Zia, whose government has not reacted to his comments on the 1971 war. (AFP) (Posted @ 14:30 PDT)

(My comments)
    Musharaf’s regretting the tragic episode of 1971 is highly appreciative. It would have been much better had he apologized on behalf of Pakistani people, for atrocities committed by military against Bengalis in 1971. After all Bengalis are Muslims, apologizing from a brother would not degrade Pakistan. It will give strength of brotherhood, peace and tranquility. Perhaps this is the time to patch up with Bengalis, forgetting past grievances by introducing free trade and free movement of people without condition of passport between the two countries. It would be an ideal situation if both countries become part of some coalition.

Sincerely,
    FARID

I am curious that in times of Gen Zia-ul-Haq and General Irshad, Pakistan had fairly good relations with Bangladesh and the two leaders used to meet regularly.

Why is this apology suddenly brought up as an issue at this point?
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Very unfortunate news, Musharraf made a bold gesture by showing regret. That with the publication of the Hamood ur Rehman Comission report should hopefully bring this whole controversy to the end.

The Awami League is just trying to get political mileage out of the issue. the two parties have often played these games, and the present government probably invited Musharraf just to snub the opposition as well...which is very sad.

But that aside, there are some historical untruths being mentioned. Firstly, Pakistan is the host of over 1-2 million Bengalis already, these people living in Karachi illegally, have drained a significant amount of resources from out economy away, probably much more then the money the Bangladeshi governemnt is claiming. Also remember when East Pakistan broke away, the International debt was taken over for both wings by present day Pakistan. More importantly Za Bhutto did apologise to the Bengalis in the 1970's
      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

Well if ZA Bhutto had already apologized in 1970's then, what do these Bengalis want now.... a new apology every year?

Sheesh! I have some choice words for them, but I'd rather keep quiet. Muslim brothers and all that!

[This message has been edited by Faisal (edited July 30, 2002).]
        "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

* Musharraf boosts Bangladesh ties *

Pakistan's president signs a series of accords in Dhaka aimed at forging closer ties between the two former enemies.
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/w...ia/2157891.stm
          Unity, Faith & Discipline....
          --Jinnah

Comment

Free movement of people is a tricky issue since all of Bangaldesh will land in Karachi then. And not just the Biharis mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Maula Baksh:
              Free movement of people is a tricky issue since all of Bangaldesh will land in Karachi then. And not just the Biharis mind you.

I wonder why everyone likes KARACHI so much

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
                I wonder why everyone likes KARACHI so much
                You should ask your ancestors too this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Maula Baksh:
                  You should ask your ancestors too this question.

Why Should I? My ancestors were born and raised in Karachi. So am I

Comment

Working...
                  X