Democracy .... think again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Democracy .... think again

Let me start off by saying that I was a firm belever in Democracy , but certain events changed my mind.

Note : No names or places have been mentioned to protect the identity of these people.

1. I know this poor lady who washes clothes on a daily basis, earns a small amount of money from which she supports her home and family. She told me in the last election she voted for someone whoes name she dint know , but the only thing she knew was that the man was distributing a sack of wheat and a tin of cooking oil to who ever voted for him . Now remember 70 % of our population falls in this catagory .

In the last election I went for the election campaign of a big Khan who was related to me . With my own eyes I saw the khans family standing at the booth and giving Rs:500/ to every one who vopted for him , ofcourse they had to take an oath on the Holy Quran before casting the vote .

Now lets put some light on the people who get elected , well they are educated BUT education has not changed there mentality . Coruption is a major part of there daily life , The amount they have vested in elections they make sure to extract the same amount with interest from the treasurey.

Now you tell me getting 257 people like this is better or one dictator is better ?

Dont answer to this message hap hazardly and with anger take some time and think about it and if you still disagree tell me about your point.

No these type of politcians are not good, but the dictators have not done any better than them.

A politcial system needs to develop to the state where good politcians with the interest of the country are elected by the elctorate.(as per the history of all succeful democracies)

Not one where people are in a rush to do what they want before the eventual Army take over, and certainly not one where the ISI manipulates the system to bring into power manipulative corrupt politcians who suit them.

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal:
      No these type of politcians are not good, but the dictators have not done any better than them.

You haven't had enough of Mush. Don't you?

Comment

What do you mean?

Comment

What do you mean?

Chill bro You know what I meant

Comment

Still don't know, anyways.

Comment

Still don't know, anyways.

Comment

Jamadar

democracy is hypocrisy the elections in pakistan are a complete joke look at the last example of buhsraffs referendum.

You trying to tell me that was'nt a complete fraud.

Nobody even takes elections seriously in pakistan just take a look at the turnout next time or anytime for that matter!

Comment

This is a very perplexing argument... there are advatanges and disadvatages to both dictatorship and democracy....
                  In a real democracy if the leader is not like he/she can theoritacally be kicked out of office by a sime election...where as in dictatorship only revoloution can bring about change...

For a country to become free and prosperous you need power to be handed over effieciently and peacefully...
                  forexample..looking back at Muslim History... each time a dispotic ruler was to be deposed a reveloution had to take place... the ummayads vs. abassids.. this led to ruining infrastucture... and some bright minds were killed in the process...it has a deep scar on the economy which takes time to heal....

As such in my opinion democracy is a better solution... however... we need a system whereby a person is held accountable for his/her actions...and if any wrong doing is committed he/she is dealt with judiciously....

but democracy is an evolving process.. if you look at the brits for example...there democracy was established over a period of a thousand years... and it fully became operational once the populace was educated and could rationally decide whom to vote for....

Comment

Speaking of ISI, atfer their failure to keep Taliban under control, they have gone back to their old way, keeping journalists under control. Something for their ego I guess.
                    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...intimidation_1

Pakistani journalists complain of harassment, intimidation by military regime
                    Wed Jul 31, 5:22 AM ET
                    By ZARAR KHAN, Associated Press Writer

KARACHI, Pakistan - Newspaper editor Muzaffar Ejaz once was known by colleagues for his strong nerves and opinions. But after he disappeared for a few hours last week, he came back shaken and close-mouthed.

Ejaz won't talk publicly about what happened to him in those nighttime hours. But associates at his newspaper, Jasarat (Courage), say he was abducted, handcuffed, covered with a hood and hauled to an unknown location by men angry over a story his paper had published about Pakistan's top intelligence agency.

Comment

First of all let me say that I am not a Great supporter of Musharraf but I LOVE my country.
                      I read most of your comments each one had a motive and preconceived idea behind it.
                      All of you calling Musharraf and ISI corrupt , busharraf , etc...... think again as if wasnt for him and the intelligance of our country we wouldnt have been spared by the west . Secondly india would have been too happy to appease the west and wage a war on Pakistan.
                      After 50 years of kashmir conflict at this crusial time (post 9/11) india had to mass its troops on the border .Time and again india has proved its back stabbing capabilities and trying to turn pakistan into palestine.
                      I know mentioning all this is useless as most of the people on this board belong to our neighbour country India .
                      I ask you all(indians) isnt it time we stop fighting Look!!!,we speak the same language , same society same social values then why this. Cant we make an asian union just like the european union , just imagine the consequences , our countrys will prosper leaps and bounds.
                      If you all are advising us on our politicians then rectify your own politiciansso that south east asia could be a better place to live.

Comment

Democracy isn't perfect, vote buying is commonly done in India and other democracies, but that doesn't mean you should ban democracy. Make the Laws tought..and things will work on their own.
                        How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

Working...
                        X