• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congressmen insist on democracy in Pakistan

http://www.dawn.com/2002/07/29/top5.htm

Congressmen insist on democracy in Pakistan

By Anwar Iqbal

WASHINGTON, July 28: Two leading US Congressmen have urged the Bush administration to use its influence for restoring democracy in Pakistan.

In a letter to US Secretary of State Colin Powell, they have urged him to seek a greater commitment from President Pervez Musharraf for restoring democracy and fighting terrorism, their office in Washington told Dawn.

Both Congressmen - Benjamin A. Gilman, New York, Republican, and Gary L. Ackerman, New York, Democrat - are members of the House International Relations Committee. Gilman is the chairman of the Middle East and South Asia sub-committee and Ackerman is the senior Democrat on the panel. In the letter, which was also sent to the government of Pakistan, they point out that in recent statements Gen Musharraf seems to be wavering from his earlier commitments to restore unfettered democracy and end militant attacks into occupied Kashmir.

"We are confident you will deliver the right message, but we are greatly concerned that the man on the receiving end doesn't want to hear it," the letter said. They also criticized Gen Musharraf for the "sham referendum" that extended his term in office, and questioned whether the forthcoming parliamentary elections would be free and fair.

In a separate statement, Ackerman said: "The price for Pakistan's help (to fight the Taliban and Al Qaeda forces) must not include our abandonment of democratic principles. The United States should and must be insisting that Pakistan return to a democratic form of government without delay."

He said the "sham referendum" that Gen Musharraf held for "extending his term" and "the proposed constitutional changes which would expand his power beyond October elections" have caused concerns that the elections "will not be free and fair for all."

He said the steps that President Musharraf has taken so far point to "his determination to hold onto power and create only the veneer of democracy. In this process, Ackerman said, Gen Musharraf has alienated the very segments of Pakistani society which had originally welcomed his coup."

He rejected the concern that "the alternative to Musharraf may be someone worse, adding that those who say so were not aware of Pakistan's history. "Islamic parties have never done well in Pakistan elections" and this "speaks volumes about the desire of the Pakistani people to have a moderate democratic Muslim state," he said.

Another Congressman, Dana Rohrabacher, Republican, California, said the referendum that the Pakistan ruler held was "an insult to the democratic nations of the world, trying to suggest that he in some way through this corrupt process had verified his own ability, or the legitimacy of his military regime."

Welcome Abroad!

I admit we can't let others to decide their own values and principles, which is why countless people hate U.S because of her Foreign policies.

Comment

Watch your backyard man!

Congressmen should take care of corparate
      America fruad.

Take the 5th amendment and screw investors!

Comment

I only wish they passed similar statements about democracy in all the kingdoms and sheikhdoms in the middle east or on free speech etc in Turkey.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

PT and Fruadia,

Have you ever heard of "Jis Ki Laathi Us ki Bhains" Pakis turned around 180 degrees and betrayed Taliban after 911 to save their A$$#s. As some one said, "Allah se daro ya na daro magar America se zaroor daro" Pakis are vigorously following this rule of thumb since Zia-ul-Haq.

BTW, PT your cut and post topic is the outcome of America's blessing. “jis se khairat laitay hain us ko annkhain nahi dikhatay, bachoo zara sharam karo”

FARID

Comment

who has not turned around 180 degrees when it was their hiney on the line?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
              Watch your backyard man!

Congressmen should take care of corparate
              America fruad.

Take the 5th amendment and screw investors!

Comment

The US should also realize that this dictatorship has helped them in their war against terror better than any other civilian Govt could have... Credit should be given where credit is due...

Comment

Originally posted by Farid:
                  PT and Fruadia,

Have you ever heard of "Jis Ki Laathi Us ki Bhains" Pakis turned around 180 degrees and betrayed Taliban after 911 to save their A$$#s. As some one said, "Allah se daro ya na daro magar America se zaroor daro" Pakis are vigorously following this rule of thumb since Zia-ul-Haq.

BTW, PT your cut and post topic is the outcome of America's blessing. “jis se khairat laitay hain us ko annkhain nahi dikhatay, bachoo zara sharam karo”

FARID

No doubt, Farid, you are manipulated person!

What the fu(c)k America has to do with Pakistan's internal matter?

My cut and post topic? What the hell you are talking about, Man?

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Comment

Forget American, what about people of Pakistan who are fed up of Army rule?

In most normal countries, Army defends the constitution of the land with their lives, but in our blessed country Army has been gang raping the constitution for last 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Maula Baksh:

In most normal countries, Army defends the constitution of the land with their lives, but in our blessed country Army has been gang raping the constitution for last 50 years.
                      While I wouldn;t put it quite that way, i agree with teh 'jist' of your statement.

Comment

"What the fu(c)k America has to do with Pakistan's internal matter?"

"My cut and post topic? What the hell you are talking about, Man?"

Watch your gutter language Mr. So you don't know what has happened after 911. Every order whether right or wrong was obeyed by Paki leadership. Pose this question to Mush if you are so stupid not to understand this?

I am talking about your post where you cut and paste 24 hours and seven days a week without break, though you don't have anything to do.

FARID

Comment

Originally posted by Farid:
                          Watch your gutter language Mr. So you don't know what has happened after 911. Every order whether right or wrong was obeyed by Paki leadership. Pose this question to Mush if you are so stupid not to understand this?

Did I say something to you? Just shut the hell up! Whatever comes in your mind, you say it anyway without thinking!

I am talking about your post where you cut and paste 24 hours and seven days a week without break, though you don't have anything to do.

You got problem with that? I don't sit 24/7 surfing internet. I got more things to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Maula Baksh:

Didn't you read the article Why Democracy Failed in Pakistan?

If not, they you should have!

How come politicians run the country when they don't agree to contribute with the Military on Security issue?

Pathetic! And you expect them to take incharge of the country.

First, they need to be civilized.

I agree with you Army shouldn't take the incharge of the country but for now, there is no one, who would do that.

Comment

Farid ...Ba Ba Farid ...

USA also asks India to talk to Pakistan ,to allow monitoring of election in Kashmir by international observer ,to sign the Nuclear non proliferation treaty ,To allow Amnesty Intl . into all parts of India including GUJRAT .

Any opinions on that .

And who is this USA anywayze that it can TELL all but DONT have to listen to anyone else ??

WE call such kids on playground RICH BRAT SPOILT ROTTEN

WHO HAS ALL THE EXPENSIVE TOYS & nothing tp work for

Its no point giving anything more than what it will take to live in the the JUNGLE without being killed by the creatures higher in the food chain.To make pact with devil for survival is moral ,but to join him is to become a DEVIL.

Comment

Working...
                              X