X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistani's motel set on fire in US

Pakistani's motel set on fire in US

By Fakhr Ahmad

LOS ANGELES, July 26: A 22-room motel, owned by a Pakistani family in Heber, near Salt Lake city, Utah, was put on fire this weekend amid the ongoing wave of arson and hate crimes against Muslims in the United States.

In a telephone call, owner Mazher Tabish, who hails from Karachi, told Dawn on Thursday he was the only Pakistani and the only Muslim in Heber city.

"There are people out there who want to hurt us," Tabish said. "It's scary. My family's safety is of paramount importance to me, but the situation does not make me feel very safe," he added.

He said he watched in horror as flames ripped through the motel, Alpine Lodge, on historic Main Street in Heber, destroying eight rooms and ruining five years of hard work. All this caused a damage of US $100,000.

"If the fire had burned five minutes longer, the building would have collapsed," Tabesh said. Though he said he would recover the damage through insurance, what troubled him most was an anxiety about his family's safety.

He said in January he filed a complaint, saying an anonymous caller had for the past year been threatening him, his wife and his wife's parents, all of whom live together on the motel property. After the terrorist attacks of Sept 11, the calls became more frequent and more hateful, Tabesh said, adding, the police did not take sufficient action on the threats.
    http://www.dawn.com/2002/text/top11.htm

----

Pathetic americans blaming we muslims for the 9/11 attacks, since that day more hatred has spread towards us muslims... I dont even know why we are blamed for these attacks...

There has been enough proof that Israel and CIA was behind these attacks, what more do they want???

In this same situation, if a muslim put the motel on fire, he would've been called a "terrorist" or an "Islamic extremist".

Why is it that religion always pops up when a muslim has done something wrong? Why is it that religion never pops up when a non-muslim has done something wrong?

[This message has been edited by usman_khalil (edited July 27, 2002).]

Produce one bit of proof it was anyone other the Oslima bin Forgotten who was behind the attacks. In fact lets see anything that points to this fire being anything other than bad wiring or self started. Insurance money is what this sounds like to me. This being an article from Dawn ask yourself why they always bring religion into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Army:
      Produce one bit of proof it was anyone other the Oslima bin Forgotten who was behind the attacks. In fact lets see anything that points to this fire being anything other than bad wiring or self started. Insurance money is what this sounds like to me. This being an article from Dawn ask yourself why they always bring religion into it.
      Absolutely right E-Army. It smells like insurance scam to me. Probably, the motel was going in loss, and the owner figured out, how to convert his losses into publicity and profits...

Unity, Faith & Discipline....
      --Jinnah

Comment

Originally posted by usman_khalil:
        Why is it that religion always pops up when a muslim has done something wrong?
        Because the people who committed 9/11 WERE Muslims and THEY made religion their reason behind the attacks. CIA/Israel behind WTC?? Gimme a break. Give up the conpsiracy theories dude and wake up to the truth. Denial is a river in Egypt. Leave it there.

Here's a partial list of other BS that we hear over and over:
        4000 Jews didn't show up for work on 9/11
        10's of thousands of Afghan civlians killed by US
        Hundreds dead in Jenin massacre
        There are 2 billion Muslims worldwide
        America has declared war on Islam
        Muslim are righteous, rest of the world is going to hell
        Anti-Arabs murdered Princess Diana
        US is to blame for Muslim world's problems
        Muslims know the 'truth' about Jesus, while Christians are following a false creed
        Jews controls the world's wealth power and media
        US is behind Iraq's troubles, not Sadaam
        Al-Qaeda is a made-up organization by US
        Monica Lewinsky was a Jewish plot to turn Clinton against Israel

My thougts as to why these half truths, lies, conspiracy theories, and exaggerations continually get punted about around here is because of:

1. The worldly decline of Muslims
        2. The influence of Western thought
        3. The nature of Middle Eastern politics (its pan-movements and autocracy)
        4. The overall lack of education in that part of the world.
        5. Islam cannot deal with modernity having never experienced a "reformation" and does not deal with the modern worlds real issues

But none of us are trapped in these stereotypes. There is education, information, tolerance and understanding available to all of us. Particularly in today's world of instant information available on the internet and other institutions. It just takes an open mind and a little effort.

[This message has been edited by Seminole (edited July 27, 2002).]

Comment

Ukhalil, I just proved to you it was Osama/Alqaeda who was behind those attacks, and I proved that from your own jehadi websites, and you admitted to that in the end, and now youre backing out?

As for the attack, people love to do that for insurance claims...

Btw, are you forgetting that your brothers in Pakistan have also carried out hate crimes? They have torched churches, executed Pakistani christians etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
            Ukhalil, I just proved to you it was Osama/Alqaeda who was behind those attacks, and I proved that from your own jehadi websites, and you admitted to that in the end, and now youre backing out?

Only Al-qaeda members were used for these attacks, who planned out all this crap?

Its pretty obvious.

Comment

Only Al-qaeda members were used for these attacks, who planned out all this crap?

Its pretty obvious.
              Oslimy bin Forgotten, your right real obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Seminole:
                Because the people who committed 9/11 WERE Muslims and THEY made religion their reason behind the attacks. CIA/Israel behind WTC?? Gimme a break. Give up the conpsiracy theories dude and wake up to the truth. Denial is a river in Egypt. Leave it there.
                Oh puh-lea-ze!

Tell me this, we muslims are blamed for these attacks and more hatred has spread towards us. At the same time America has killed millions of muslims, thousands in Afghanistan, everyday muslims die in Palestine cause of american support to Israel, so tell me, why isn't their any hatred towards them from us?

Perhaps you are gonna gimme that BS "Saddam caused the death of 1.5 million muslims in Iraq". Then tell me, what about Afghanistan? Thousands died there, are you gonna blame Saddam for that?

What about american support to Israel? Was Saddam there?

Next time, get your facts straight and hopefully it'll make it less embarrasing for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Seminole:
                  Oh puh-lea-ze!

Tell me this, we muslims are blamed for these attacks and more hatred has spread towards us. At the same time America has killed millions of muslims, thousands in Afghanistan, everyday muslims die in Palestine cause of american support to Israel, so tell me, why isn't their any hatred towards them from us?

Perhaps you are gonna gimme that BS "Saddam caused the death of 1.5 million muslims in Iraq". Then tell me, what about Afghanistan? Thousands died there, are you gonna blame Saddam for that?

What about american support to Israel? Was Saddam there?

Next time, get your facts straight and hopefully it'll make it less embarrasing for you.

812 died in Afghanistan as has been reported on this board. Saddam is to blame for the deaths. The choice to not honnor the agreement he signed is the cause or excuse as I see it. Strange how he can pay millions to homocide bombers and can't feed his own people wouldn't you say?

Comment

The only thing you said in that post that doesn't belong on the above "Top Ten Lie List" is that the US supports Israel. No one doubts or denies that.

But everything else is paranoid, uneducated, and religously-confused ramblings by someone who has no grasp of the world's geopolitical system or the role that religion does and should play in modern society (and within himself).

Comment

He lives and works in the US,his place burns down,so of course the natural thing to do would be to telephone the Dawn newspaper in Pakistan.
                      I mean that sounds perfectly natural to me,NOT.
                      This will turn out to be an insurance scam and nothing more.

Comment

you know what, lets keep conspiracy theories and who did what to WTC out of it. unless we want to keep going on tangents.

Now could this be an insurance scam, it could be no doubt about it.

Could it be serious? it could be no doubt about it.

There were some real people who got hurt due to idiotic lashing out by some rednecks after 9/11. Was that all a scam too?

I personally received obscene phone calls and threats..and that was no scam.

There are good people and bad people everywhere.

We can no tolerate conspiracy theories about WTC, but already we have started creating our own conspiracy theories on how this guy could have done it for insurance, even coming up with reasons..oh maybe the hotel was going in a loss.

Follow this case if you will and lets see what it is. It could be either of the possibilities, for all we know, it could have even been an accidental fire.

sad lot.
                        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart:
                          He lives and works in the US,his place burns down,so of course the natural thing to do would be to telephone the Dawn newspaper in Pakistan.
                          I mean that sounds perfectly natural to me,NOT.
                          This will turn out to be an insurance scam and nothing more.
                          I don't know about this case and the motivation, but Dawn has a presence in the US as well.

And if any incidence happens to some poor American in Pakistan, they call in the entire US press industry to Pakistan. Americans must be running some scam too then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Army:
                            812 died in Afghanistan as has been reported on this board. Saddam is to blame for the deaths. The choice to not honnor the agreement he signed is the cause or excuse as I see it. Strange how he can pay millions to homocide bombers and can't feed his own people wouldn't you say?
                            812 DIED?? PUH-LEA-ZE!

American warplanes bombed Afghanistan for almost a year and you're telling me only 812 died??? Wake up!!!

Thousands are homeless and so many died man, you're tellin me 812 only died??? You must be kidding me and yourself!

America has used both chemical and biological weapons dude, those heavy B-52 bombers everywhere for months!!! And you tell me only 812 died??

Who says 812 died? America? Dont tell me about it...

Comment

There is no evidence the US has used chemical or bio weapons in Afganistan. The 812 figure is a floor of an estimate of civilian casualties. The real number is undoubtably higher, but to suggest 10's of 1000's is most likely a Taliban generated claim. The Taliban still exist amongst the population and are able to seed disinformation.

Comment

Working...
                              X