Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atleast 5 killed in Pakistan CHURCH bombing

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc...rch/index.html

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- At least five people have been killed and scores injured following a grenade attack on a church in the diplomatic quarter of the Pakistani capital, Islamabad.

Windows in the Protestant International Church were blown out by the blast which occurred at around 1000 local time (0500 GMT).

Ambulances and security personnel have rushed to the scene and are ferrying at least 45 injured to area hospitals.

The church, located about 300 meters from the U.S. Embassy, is used by diplomats and their families for regular Sunday worship.

The origins and nationalities of the dead and injured have not been released by police.

Several U.S. nationals are believed to have been in the regular congregation.

Despite being in the diplomatic quarter, home to a large number of expatriates and their families, officials say the church was only lightly guarded with just one officer responsible for overseeing its three entrances.

There is no word on who may be responsible for the attack.

Eyewitnesses gave conflicting reports of how many attackers entered the church. Some said the men appeared to be local residents.

At least 70 people were inside the church for morning services when police believe up to four hand grenades were thrown into the building.

Only two of the grenades exploded, according to police and witnesses.

In October last year 16 Christian worshippers were killed during a Sunday service in eastern Pakistan -- an attack Pakistan's President, General Pervez Musharraf, blamed on "trained terrorists."

--------------------------------------------

For all of you my Pakistanis friends here who took the high moral pedestal during the Gujarat incident, just one line :
    "Take care of your own backyard first".

[And Mr. Moderator, I hope you will let this thread remain... deleting my thread will achieve nothing this time....]

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited March 18, 2002).]

This is a terrible attack that indeed should be condemned. There is no room for such bigots in any society.

Chilli (Mohabat or whatever other nicks you are using these days), in your haste to belittle Pakistan, you forgot to mention that the 700 muslims that were butchered or burnt alive in Gujarat was the work of your ruling government with the help of the security forces. God help the Muslims and other minorities from the ruling BJP, RSS, VHP nexus.

[This message has been edited by 2bornot2b (edited March 17, 2002).]

Comment

2bornot2b(some nick u have),
      I am not belittling anyone. Can't help if you think so.

BTW, among the dead are an American Women and her daughter.
      Sri Lanka's ambassador to Pakistan, his wife and child are also reported to be among the casualties.

Comment

Originally posted by chilli:
        2bornot2b(some nick u have),
        I am not belittling anyone. Can't help if you think so.

BTW, among the dead are an American Women and her daughter.
        Sri Lanka's ambassador to Pakistan, his wife and child are also reported to be among the casualties.
        Chilli, it does not matter what nationality or the rank in society these innocent victims hold. All life is precious, and these killings should be condemned no matter who the victims are.

Yaar Chilli, rather than you trying to justify the killings of muslims in India and comparing it to this terrible act, you forgot to mention that the 700 muslims that were butchered or burnt alive in Gujarat was the work of your ruling government with the help of the security forces. God help the Muslims and other minorities from the ruling BJP, RSS, VHP nexus.

Comment

This is a totally condemnable crime, and these people should be hunted down and given the maximum punishment according to the law. They are bigots and terrorists who bring shame upon Pakistan, and our government is further justified in the the decisions it has taken in recent months in rooting out terrorism in all it's forms from our country.

Comment

Originally posted by Malik73:
            This is a totally condemnable crime, and these people should be hunted down and given the maximum punishment according to the law. They are bigots and terrorists who bring shame upon Pakistan, and our government is further justified in the the decisions it has taken in recent months in rooting out terrorism in all it's forms from our country.

Very true.

India would have use this opportunity to blame Pakistan.
            But Pakistan has already announced that "home extremests" are behind this attack.
            I'm proud of Pakistan for not misusing this horrible incident to protect local criminals.
            I say get them, wherever they are!

------------------
            • “WheRe iS tHe JusTice oF PoliTical PowEr iF iT eXecutes tHe murdErer and jAils the plUndeRer, And thEn itSelf marcheS upon neighbOring laNds, kilLIng ThousanDs anD PillaGing tHe veRy Hills ?!
            Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

..very shocking and shameful act.. the people behind this acts dont have any religion.. a person having any religious or sacrad upbringing cant imagine to destroy places of worship.. a very cowardly act indeed..
              Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

hahaaa,
                Cant u see, the same things started to happen when they cancelled elections in Algeria. When a western government starts supporting dictators, and use them as puppets, these sorts of acts are carried out by the government agents them selves to malign muslims and to gain more illegal support for their illegal government. Now everyone is supporting Musharraf from bush to blair and his illegal government no matter what ever is happening inside they will still support him!

Comment

Chilli its not we that take the moral high ground, its your country that is constantly trying to belittle us. You are obviously a demented person if you think you can turn this murder into some kind of Pakistan-India tirade. Your truly need psychological help.
                  This is sick act of murder and the culprits should be hanged.

Comment

Originally posted by reza khan:
                    hahaaa,
                    Cant u see, the same things started to happen when they cancelled elections in Algeria. When a western government starts supporting dictators, and use them as puppets, these sorts of acts are carried out by the government agents them selves to malign muslims and to gain more illegal support for their illegal government. Now everyone is supporting Musharraf from bush to blair and his illegal government no matter what ever is happening inside they will still support him!
                    Haaa haa?! first of, i dont think this is a laughing matter, and second, Musharaf govt has nothing to do with this. All this proves is that Pakistanis can be just as twisted as Algerian terrorists, and nothing else.

Comment

May Allah show the right path to the people who justify such attrocious acts! I smell RAW though! But thats just me!

Comment

This act should be condemned in the strongest possible terms. It's a very sad and atrocious event. The people who carried out this attack have no place in Islam and Pakistan- they are plain muderers and pure terrorists.

[This message has been edited by Abdullah k (edited March 17, 2002).]

Comment

musharuff has to do much more to convince
                          the world . actualy he releasd 2000 militants.is he really in control?

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
                            Haaa haa?! first of, i dont think this is a laughing matter, and second, Musharaf govt has nothing to do with this. All this proves is that Pakistanis can be just as twisted as Algerian terrorists, and nothing else.
                            well i'll laugh on whatever i want to, and u call people terrorist who stopped legal democratic elections just for their own political reasons and just because they are the puppets of France and the west. And then they hire assasins and kill people to blame it on so called islamic terrorist. Kid before talkin crap read whats happenin, what has happened, then come and talk sense if u can.

First of all its islamabad, there is police all over the place in Islamabad, moreover that region has more security due to fact that there are western government buildings including American in the area and not forget that there were armed guard there for the security of American and european diplomats. So after all this extremly heavy security the terrorists came with ease did their job and managed to escape without any resistance. i'll laugh at u more now!

[This message has been edited by reza khan (edited March 17, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                              musharuff has to do much more to convince
                              the world . actualy he releasd 2000 militants.is he really in control?
                              The militants could not be charged with breaking any laws, and so, being a civilised country, Pakistan could not detain them any longer. The 2000 were arrested under the Maintainance of Public Order law, which allows people to be detained without charge for only 2 months.

The government has kept in custody those against whom evidence of involvement in sectarian terrorism exists, to face charges.

There is no evidence that those 2000 militants who were released were involved in criminal acts.
                              Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                              Al-Ghazali

Comment

Working...
                              X