An Imam worthy of being an Imam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Imam worthy of being an Imam

God Bless Abdul Razzaq. He is a Muslim worthy of respect.
    This is from an article in New York Times. This is the rape incident that has been discussed on this forum.
    *************************************** http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/17/in...ia/17RAPE.html

Ms. Bibi's rape by decree might never have come to light; the family was afraid to fill in the blanks for the police. But a local imam, Abdul Razzaq, 40, heard about it. Though Ms. Bibi's father would not say much, Mr. Razzaq took a risk with his own safety by addressing the case during Friday Prayers almost a week later.

"I condemned this incident: that a poor girl had been raped and that they had invited the wrath of Allah," he said. "Such a barbaric and oppressive injustice has never been witnessed before."

Mr. Razzaq believes in the panchayat as a way for poor people to resolve their disputes, often according to Islamic law. But this, he said, was "against the spirit of Islam.

"This was not a panchayat," he said. "This was their cruelty."

After the imam's sermon, local journalists picked up the story and it began to spread, in conflicting accounts that at first left out the story of sodomy. Then the Pakistani government began moving, quickly arresting all four men accused of raping Ms. Bibi, including a police officer and some members of the panchayat.

Abdul Razzaq appears to be a nice person!

I wish him good luck!

Comment

subhannalah.... these kinds of people represent the true Islam... the one witch fights against injustice...

Comment

If only their were more like him

Comment

personally I have never met an imam or ulema that supported rape or incidents like the above mentioned.
          Anyway its good that ordinary people in PK take a stance against such atrocities/terrorism.

Comment

I agree with ZII, even though some promote hatred, no one would ever support this behavior... These imams are not as bad as we think they are... Its true they have their differences with the a moderate persons opinion of Islam, but they are not barbarians, like we think they are...

Comment

How about the pesh imam that lost his temper and had the pakistani american beaten up, or how about the imam that got people to beat up and stone someone to death for alleged blasphemy charges? These issues were discussed on this forum. Short memory or just feeling generous? It is the fact that he spoke against injustice when his own personal safety was in question, that I was lauding.

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited July 19, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by OldLahori:
                How about the pesh imam that lost his temper and had the pakistani american beaten up, or how about the imam that got people to beat up and stone someone to death for alleged blasphemy charges? These issues were discussed on this forum. Short memory or just feeling generous? It is the fact that he spoke against injustice when his own personal safety was in question, that I was lauding.

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited July 19, 2002).]
                Old Lahori,
                I agree with you 100% here.If you look at who becomes an Imam In Subcontinent (Both India and Pakistan) speciallly in mosques in smaller towns and Villages then you will get the answer.
                Most of these people are poor people whose parent send them to madarsas hoping that he will get free meal as well as some Islamic education .Those madarsa tought them nothing but Orhtodox teaching of Islam(most of time).Once these kid graduate they become Moizzins and Imams.They dont have any knowledge of world around them.Most of them Dont know terms like tolerance,"respect of others views" and "respect of others belief".
                Thats the reason they act dumb and stupid.Where as if you see Imams in West most of them are decently educated,know what civil liberties are ,love and respects others view.So obviously they are better.

Need of the hour is to revamp this madarsa education system and integrate it with mainstream studies. And other than Islam teach them other stuffs too so that they have better view of world.

[This message has been edited by andha_qanoon (edited July 19, 2002).]

Comment

Andha, you know nothing about Madrassahs, so no point in commenting on them... Imams dont teach at madrasshs, aqal se kaam liya kar...

Comment

People should go and visit the madrassahs themselves whence they would discover that the pupils are more disciplined, polite, respectful and better muslims than the general public schools. And given the lack of funds for educational system in Pakistan in general, it is heart warming to see that such an institution has still not faltered.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan Toora:
                      People should go and visit the madrassahs themselves whence they would discover that the pupils are more disciplined, polite, respectful and better muslims than the general public schools. And given the lack of funds for educational system in Pakistan in general, it is heart warming to see that such an institution has still not faltered.
                      Sultan, I might not agree with you 100%, but you are correct that it is heart warming to see children, who cannot afford decent schooling do have an option... I dont think the children here are disciplined (quite frankly, they are very shararti, some of them near my house play cricket and broke my windows three times)... But still, they are not at all what the western world thinks they are... They are human beings, and not terrorists as they keep saying... Atleast they are better off than the ignorant ppl who do not get an education at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                        Andha, you know nothing about Madrassahs, so no point in commenting on them... Imams dont teach at madrasshs, aqal se kaam liya kar...
                        stupid..
                        Did I say Imam teaches in madarsah.What I said is that Graduates of these madrasha become Imams.Where was I wrong?

And talking about who know about madarsas.You might be giving weekly or Monthly donations to Madarsa but my family runs one and feed 100s of them from their own property. !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by andha_qanoon:

And talking about who know about madarsas.You might be giving weekly or Monthly donations to Madarsa but my family runs one and feed 100s of them from their own property. !!!!

Well I hope that the students at "your" madrasah are getting a more well rounded education so when they move on and become real moizzins, and imams. The way they should be.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:
                            Well I hope that the students at "your" madrasah are getting a more well rounded education so when they move on and become real moizzins, and imams. The way they should be.

Fraudia
                            Thanks for wishes.I am trying hard to convince people but no success as yet.

Comment

A family that believes in "Im an Indian first, and then Muslim afterwards" running a madrassah?

May Allah have pity on these students, who are taught by people who value their country before Allah...

Comment

Working...
                              X