• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elections on Oct. 10th...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/2120528.stm

Musharraf sets election date

General Musharraf now prefers a civilian look

Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has set a date for a general election - three years after coming to power in a military coup.
    State television interrupted regular programming to announce 10 October as the day for voting for the lower house of parliament or National Assembly.

Bhutto: Banned from return to power

The move came after General Musharraf indicated he would announce more constitutional changes to take place before the poll.

On Saturday, Mr Musharraf passed a decree banning two previous prime ministers - Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto - from holding the office again.

On Wednesday, a court sentenced Ms Bhutto to three years' hard labour for corruption.

The parliament in Pakistan was dissolved when General Musharraf seized power in October 1999, ousting Mr Sharif.

The country's Supreme Court had ordered Mr Musharraf to hold elections by October to restore civilian rule.

State television said the elections for the National Assembly, the Senate and the four provincial assemblies would be held on the same day.

More changes

A government statement after the cabinet meeting said the president would announce a second package of constitutional amendments later this week.

These follow the controversial changes outlined last month to limit the prime minister's authority, enabling the president to name and dismiss the head of government and his cabinet, as well as dissolve parliament unilaterally.

The amendments - widely criticised by the opposition and human rights groups - also included provisions to cut the terms of parliament and prime minister from five years to four.

Saturday's decree bars people who have held the office of prime minister twice in the past from a third term - effectively banning the country's most prominent opposition leaders from returning to power.

It also requires all candidates to be university graduates, which the opposition says rules out almost 98% of Pakistan's population.

Unity, Faith & Discipline....
    --Jinnah

Good

Comment

A lot of cynics in the West and in Pakistan are doubting that elections will ever take place...

I expect some big bomb blasts or some high profile assasinations in September which would give Musharraf the excuse to cancel the elections.

The recent story of "Assasination" attempt is too coincidental.

All of a sudden, Pakistani Police who were clueless before arrest some people of a hitherto unknown group who "confess" immediately.

Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB:
        I expect some big bomb blasts or some high profile assasinations in September which would give Musharraf the excuse to cancel the elections.
        If this could happen, elections would be doubtful. Ever wonder who would tried to create bomb blasts atmosphere?

Political Parties

Comment

Are any of the Pakistan based guppies voting? If so for whom, or who do they hope will win????

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
            Are any of the Pakistan based guppies voting? If so for whom, or who do they hope will win????
            It won't be a fair election anyways. Army will choose whoever is subservient to them.

Comment

Will it be fair than the State elections in Indian Jammu Kashmir?

Comment

Originally posted by durango:
                I don't like to compare, or hope for such negative acts for Pak. India can do whatever the hell they want. I am concerned with Pak.
                Eg.Just because India burns alive its religious minorties, doesn't mean we should do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by durango:
                  Where the heck india come from...isn't this about Pakistani elections...

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
                    If this could happen, elections would be doubtful. Ever wonder who would tried to create bomb blasts atmosphere?

Political Parties
                    Nope.

It is Musharraf who clearly does not want elections. He has already banished Bhutto and Sharif. Hasn't he also chnaged the constitution.

He knows that the whole world saw through his joke of a referendum. He has no desire to give up one inch of power.

Elections are really doubtful. He'll probably enact some fake acts of violence, one more "assasination attempt" or something like that and say "How can I hold elections without stabilizing the country"

All Dictators are the same

Comment

for most part whatever the general has said he has done...so I have no reason to belive that the elections won't happen...

Comment

Nope.

It is Musharraf who clearly does not want elections. He has already banished Bhutto and Sharif. Hasn't he also chnaged the constitution.

He knows that the whole world saw through his joke of a referendum. He has no desire to give up one inch of power.

Elections are really doubtful. He'll probably enact some fake acts of violence, one more "assasination attempt" or something like that and say "How can I hold elections without stabilizing the country"

I doubt anything like that will happen. I think the elections will go on. We'll see

Comment

Nope.

Bhutto, Sharif are craps. Add Altaf & Qazi to the list, also.

Musharraf hasn't changed the constitution. He resumed the power of President which was baneed by N.S, which was President won't be able to dissolve Parliament. If NS didn't banned the power of President, you wouldn't even heard the name of Musharraf today.

blah blah blah.

Dude, it's just your assumptions.

Wrong. Anyone can criticize on Musharraf's step. Was it possible during Ayub, Yahya and Zia's rule? NO

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited July 11, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                          X