Ambivalent unity of Indians and Pakistanis in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambivalent unity of Indians and Pakistanis in England

How are the relations of Indians and Pakistanis in USA and Canada? Better or worse than UK?

------------------------------------------
    Ambivalent unity of South Asians in England

SOUTHALL: India and Pakistan may have come close to war over Kashmir, but natives of the two countries are living alongside peacefully, far away from this conflict.

As curry smells fill the air in the west London suburb of Southall, Indians and Pakistanis stroll along a high street of sari shops and halal butchers in living testimony that the two can get along.

“Here we’re all Asian. That’s what matters,” said Saima Aslam, who arrived from Pakistan a year ago and now works in an Indian sari shop in the largely Asian area.

“People here are not bothered about religion or nationality issues,” she said. “This is an Indian Punjabi shop and I’m working here. The fact that I am Pakistani makes no difference at all.”

More than 55 percent of Southall’s 70,000 residents are of Indian or Pakistani origin, the two communities blending almost seamlessly. It is a scene that is repeated in many other parts of Britain, where the country’s 900,000 Indians and 500,000 Pakistanis live together with relatively few problems between them.

Wounds kept open: Saima said she believed the conflict back home over the disputed Kashmir region would last for decades, unwanted by the people but fuelled by politicians and various interest groups.

She said Muslims and Hindus did not mingle back home, but in London, the greater interaction increased understanding and mutual acceptance. “I have found many Indians to be good friends,” she added.

The local police share that impression.

“Liaison with community leaders has not identified any repercussions in the borough from events taking place abroad,” Southall Police Chief Inspector Chris Allmey told Reuters.

He and colleagues hold regular meetings with community leaders, and officers from neighbouring areas, to review any possible local impact of the India-Pakistan standoff.

“In the event that a situation did arise locally as a result of the conflict I am confident that we would be able to resolve it with the help of the community,” he added.

Rishi Prajapati, a young Hindu working in a fabric shop, arrived from Gujarat, India, during May, having witnessed the worst religious bloodshed in the decade. He found relations in London much better than those at home. “All is fine,” he said.

Still waters run deep: But some warn that there are heated debates behind closed doors. Indian Muslims are pledging their allegiance to Pakistan and may part ways with Hindu friends if the conflict escalated.

“People are scared that a similar conflict may flare up here,” said an Indian Muslim born in Britain and studying at King’s College London, who asked not to be named.

“There is concern,” the student added. “The first conversation that comes up on a visit to friends is: ‘How is everything in India?’ My family regularly calls Gujarat to check up on relatives living there.”

In her Southall sari shop, Aslam said even in London, Muslims preferred to live with Muslims, and Hindus with Hindus, for cultural reasons, but Southall provided them with an opportunity to mix freely and live in harmony.

Asian enclave: At the local railway station, “Southall” is written in the language of the northern Indian state of Punjab, preparing visitors for an unusual British high street, where household names like the chemists ‘Boots’ or clothing chain ‘GAP’ have made way for sari shops and street traders. These traders sell products ranging from batteries and CDs to tear shaped yellow mangoes, which they advertise as “fruits of paradise”.

One shop sign hanging above a window display of Hindu idols reads “Little India”, a nickname given to Southall, whose ethnic residents have attempted several times to rename it ‘Punjabtown’.

The local cinema is called Himalaya Place and shows mainly Asian “Bollywood” movies while the Glassy Junction pub announces on a plaque outside that it was the first pub in Britain to accept Indian rupees as payment.

Rather than inter-community problems, Indian and Pakistanis in Britain often face racism from the white community, leading to street riots such as those that shook the northern England city of Leeds last year.

But Britain’s Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) says the Indian-Pakistan community has passed the test of integration. He cites examples such as the way chicken tikka masala has become a favourite dish in Britain and the show “Bombay Dreams” was a hit in London’s Theatreland.

“As the troubles between India and Pakistan continue, we must do all we can to maintain good relations between Pakistanis and Indians living in the United Kingdom,” CRE Chairman Gurbux Singh said in a statement. “We remain confident that Britain’s Asian communities are well established and that they will not let these events damage race relations here.” —Reuters

All Punjabis are equal, no matter what their religion is. Inshallah we will see a united and prosperous Punjab in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mir of Hunza:
      All Punjabis are equal, no matter what their religion is. Inshallah we will see a united and prosperous Punjab in the future.

[This message has been edited by RealDeal (edited July 08, 2002).]

Comment

ur post is kinda weak..

punjabis!!!

------------------
        I dunno where I'm going. I dunno what for. But I'm making progress.
        I don't know where I am going. I don't know what for but I am making progress.

Comment

United Punjab. Good riddance for we poor and docile Sindhis. We have suffered too much from Punjabis.

Comment

Oye Ballay Ballay

Comment

Time to kick Brahmin a$$ and return to mughal empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Talwar:
                Oye Ballay Ballay

I think Mir is suggesting that Bharat ought to give up its part of Punjab in order for it to be integrated back into Pakistan.

Now, my turn:

Oye Ballay Ballay

Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                  Time to kick Brahmin a$$ and return to mughal empire.
                  to what point in the mughal empire? to babur's "let's brake evrything in sight" glory? to Akbar's "I'm disenchanted so here's a new religion times"? or to Aurangazeb's jazia taxation and let's all weave our own burka Taleban precursor time?

or may be you consider Yahya, and Ayub and Zia and Nawaz and BB and Mushy Mughal emperors? awright, Mughal rulers? are these the times you wanna go to to?

really?

In Sanskrit and Tamil there's a saying about turkeys trying to emulate peacocks when it's cloudy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArjunMahavir:
                    to what point in the mughal empire? to babur's "let's brake evrything in sight" glory? to Akbar's "I'm disenchanted so here's a new religion times"? or to Aurangazeb's jazia taxation and let's all weave our own burka Taleban precursor time?

or may be you consider Yahya, and Ayub and Zia and Nawaz and BB and Mushy Mughal emperors? awright, Mughal rulers? are these the times you wanna go to to?

really?

In Sanskrit and Tamil there's a saying about turkeys trying to emulate peacocks when it's cloudy.

Hey the choice is yours if you ever think of re-unification which I belive is Advanos wet dream there is only one word you MUST keep in mind. The great MUGHALS ... Take it or leave it.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited July 08, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by sambrialian:
                      I think Mir is suggesting that Bharat ought to give up its part of Punjab in order for it to be integrated back into Pakistan.

Now, my turn:

Oye Ballay Ballay

Idiot!
                      and I think Talwar very clearly foresaw and pre-empted this. Sambri, you lost this one even before you started.

Only thing is may be he should be less subtle in future.

keeyaalay putharu!

Comment

Originally posted by sambrialian:

Now, my turn:

Oye Ballay Ballay

Idiot!
                        Oye mian akhia ji tusi tahn phatey chak detay!!

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                          Hey the choice is yours if you ever think of re-unification which I belive is Advanos wet dream there is only one word you MUST keep in mind. The great MUGHALS ... Take it or leave it.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited July 08, 2002).]
                          sure sure. and your word is gobble gobble.

Comment

Originally posted by ArjunMahavir:
                            sure sure. and your word is gobble gobble.
                            The choice will always be yours May be Advano don't know that.

Comment

but seriously, do you guys really want Punjab? why?

[This message has been edited by ArjunMahavir (edited July 08, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X