No third term for twice elected PM, CM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I am an optimistic supporter of the present government of Pakistan, this is indeed a deplorable move... They are just doctoring with the present ill fated democratic skeleton of Pakistan by making such dictatorial moves... Sad indeed... If they have the confidence in their 99% people of Pakistan who voted for them, they shouldnt be so scared about the fact that these 99% might elect Bhutto or Sharif back in power... This move is similar to what the mad-man Zia made after fearing what Bhutto could have done to him had he been released...

Source: The News www.jang.com.pk

Executive order issued; Benazir, Sharif's hopes dashed

ISLAMABAD: The government through an executive order announced on Saturday that twice-elected prime minister or chief ministers would not be re-elected as they stand disqualified for these offices.

Chief Executive General Pervez Musharraf's order dashed all hopes of Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto and many others to be re-elected as Prime Minister or Chief Minister of a province.

This system is prevalent in the United States where the President can serve maximum two terms, though this is being implemented in Pakistan and such type of parliamentary democracy for the first time.

The Chief Executive's Order No 19 of 2002 called the "Qualification to hold public offices Order, 2002", says: "Notwithstanding anything contained in the Constitution or any other law for the time being in force, a person who has, at any time, held the office of the Prime Minister, or that of a Chief Minister of a Province or a combination of such offices for two terms, irrespective of whether any one of the two or both the terms of office were completed or not, shall not be qualified to hold the office of the Prime Minister or that of a Chief Minister." Exiled leader Nawaz Sharif is hit twice by this provision, as he was Chief Minister of Punjab two times, and then he was an elected Prime Minister in 1990 and 1997.

Pakistan People's Party Chairperson Benazir Bhutto was elected twice as Prime Minister in 1988 and 1993. Both Nawaz Sharif and Benzair Bhutto did not complete their terms as Prime Ministers, but since they were elected twice each, they are automatically hit by this new order of the Chief Executive.

The order is said to have been issued to consolidate the measures taken by the Chief Executive "for the achievement of the objective of reconstruction of the State institutions for establishing genuine and sustainable democracy to ensure good governance for an irreversible transfer of power to the people of Pakistan." The order is issued at a time when reports started pouring in that Ms Bhutto had flown to Jeddah for performing Umra and then meeting the Saudi Royal guest, Nawaz Sharif.

The government has, however, already announced that no new law or order is specific to any person. "These proposed amendments and orders being issued are not Benazir or Sharif specific," Chairman National Reconstruction Bureau (NRB) Lt Gen (Retd.) Tanvir Naqvi said. But the order is so inclusive that it eliminated all the chances for Bhutto or Sharif family rule in the country in the near future, unless these families change their horses.

It is, however, to be seen whether the same condition will be announced for any other public office, as the second package of amendments for the constitutional officers are still under preparations and is being given final shape at the NRB.

Some circles in the PPP and the PML-N are saying that the order will be challenged in the Supreme Court. However the move is welcomed by parties and their leaders like PML (Q A) and others, which are known for trying to enter into power through back channel.

The following is the text of the Order: The following Order promulgated by the Chief Executive is hereby published for general information: Chief Executive's Order No 19 of 2002.

F. No. 2(4)/2002-Pub. Islamabad, the 6th July, 2002.

The following Order promulgated by the Chief Executive is hereby published for general information:

Chief Executive's Order No. 19 of 2002. AN ORDER to provide for limitations to hold highest public offices WHEREAS it is imperative to consolidate the measures taken by the Chief Executive of Pakistan for the achievement of the objective of reconstruction of the institutions of State for establishing genuine and sustainable democracy to ensure good governance for an irreversible transfer of power to the people of Pakistan AND WHEREAS it is necessary to strengthen the democratic institutions by putting limitations for holding the highest public offices for not more than the specified terms and matters connected therewith and ancillary thereto; AND WHEREAS the Chief Executive is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it essential to take immediate action; NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamation of Emergency of the fourteenth day of October, 1999, the Provincial Constitutional Order No. 1 of 1999, and in exercise of all the powers enabling him in that behalf, the Chief Executive of the Islamic republic of Pakistan is pleased to make and promulgate the following Order;

1. Short title, extend and commencement.

(1). - This Order may be called the Qualification to Hold Public Officers Order, 2002.

(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.

(3) It shall come into force at once.

2. Qualification to hold certain public offices. - Notwithstanding anything contained in the Constitution or any other law for the time being in force, a person who has, at any time, held the office of the Prime Minister, or that of a Chief Minister of a Province or a combination of such offices for two terms, irrespective of whether any one of the two or both the terms of office were completed or not, shall not be qualified to hold the office of the Prime Minister or that of a Chief Minister.

General, Pervez Musharraf Chief Executive of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, and Chief of Army Staff.

Excellent move...It will excelerate young people into the upper echolons of power...as well no one person will be able to attain so much power as to harm the institutions...

Comment

Originally posted by Bhadsha:
      Excellent move...It will excelerate young people into the upper echolons of power...as well no one person will be able to attain so much power as to harm the institutions...
      .. and what about the Godly powers of chief executive ? how can a single person decide about the constitution?

Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhadsha:
        I dont know what you mean by 'excelerate' but this is pure dictatorial mess up. Who is Musharraf to make these orders? I, a citizen of Pakistan, didn't vote for him to become my president or make these moves? He should reverse this stupid move at once...

Comment

He is no more General, he is a coward politician.

Comment

Originally posted by anand:
            He is no more General
            Can you prove that Mr. India?

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
              I dont know what you mean by 'excelerate' but this is pure dictatorial mess up. Who is Musharraf to make these orders? I, a citizen of Pakistan, didn't vote for him to become my president or make these moves? He should reverse this stupid move at once...

So, want him to bring back BB & NS back, the crooks who looted Pakistan with 4 hands?

I agree, it seems like Mushrraf is following Zia's foot-steps, but we will have to wait and see.
              All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

Comment

I hate military rule over civilians but after this term limit decree i feel like Saluting Mushi.i wish he has announced for just 1 term limit restriction.well 2 term restriction is better then non stop Looting and Debt on poor Nation which we got in return from those 2 *******s so call politicians BB & NS.(Right now they are living like King & Queen without power to abuse).
                God Bless Pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahanzaib:
                  I hate military rule over civilians but after this term limit decree i feel like Saluting Mushi.i wish he has announced for just 1 term limit restriction.well 2 term restriction is better then non stop Looting and Debt on poor Nation which we got in return from those 2 *******s so call politicians BB & NS.(Right now they are living like King & Queen without power to abuse).
                  God Bless Pakistan.
                  Now those 2 crooks want to unite and come back so they can do more damange to Pakistan. I say, the day they step on holly land of Pakistan, they should be hanged in Public.
                  http://www.southnexus.com/newspopup_...ence=25&cnews=

Bhutto, Sharif meet in Jeddah

ISLAMABAD, Jul 07: In a move that could upset Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf, former Prime Ministers Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif met in Jeddah earlier this week and are reported to have chalked out a joint political strategy to oust the military regime as well as a coordinated approach to contest the general elections to be held in October this year.

While there was no official announcement, media reports said that the two leaders who lived abroad in exile met after prayers in the holy city of Jeddah during Bhutto's trip there on Thursday.

Bhutto flew to Jeddah along with her children to offer prayers in Mecca. Sharif, who has been exiled by Musharraf after he was sentenced to life for preventing the General's plane from landing during the October, 1999 military coup lives in Jeddah.

During their meeting both the leaders decided to launch a joint movement to oust Musharraf and use their influence in the US and European Union for that purpose, the local daily reported.

The two leaders also agreed that Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) led by Bhutto and the faction of the Pakistan Muslim League (PML) lead by Sharif should have a co-ordinated approach towards elections.

They agreed that both PPP and PML-N should contest the party-based polls and make seat adjustments in some constituencies instead of forging an electoral alliance. This would pose a strong challenge to the pro-Musharraf politicians being fielded with the tacit support of the government.

All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

Comment

Why are you people so afraid that Nawaz and BB might come back to power? Its the people who are going to choose their leader, and they should be free to choose whomever they want.

If you say they are corrupt, fine... Let the people decide, and not some general sitting in a self assumed presidential title.

The fact that you people fear BB and Sharif returning to power shows your lack of trust in Musharrafs so called democratic reforms...

Comment

Looks like Mush if falling into the famous saying "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Comment

Why are you people so afraid that Nawaz and BB might come back to power? Its the people who are going to choose their leader, and they should be free to choose whomever they want.

If you say they are corrupt, fine... Let the people decide, and not some general sitting in a self assumed presidential title.

The fact that you people fear BB and Sharif returning to power shows your lack of trust in Musharrafs so called democratic reforms...
                        You can't tell facts of BB, NS to the 55% illertate adults of Pakistan!

LIVE & LET LIVE

Comment

I was not sure that Pakis are so poor in inetlligensia, that one General boot is good food for them.

I wish a normal sense.!

Comment

anand, its a Pakistani discussion, and I dont want this thread to be ruined like the others...

PT, you might be right, but then again, that is not democracy, and it shows that you do not have confidence in the democratic reforms that Musharraf made in these 3 years... He should not have made this move. We have enough of him acting like a dictator. The only thing that I think hes good at now is countering India... Apart from that, hes just acting like a typical dictator.

Comment

PT, you might be right, but then again, that is not democracy, and it shows that you do not have confidence in the democratic reforms that Musharraf made in these 3 years... He should not have made this move. We have enough of him acting like a dictator. The only thing that I think hes good at now is countering India... Apart from that, hes just acting like a typical dictator.

Quick question:

Do you really think NS, BB will act like Democractic and elected leaders?

I've been finding this answer for a long time!

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Comment

Working...
                              X