Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPP demands end to ISI's interference in politics

http://www.dawn.com/2002/07/01/top6.htm

"ISLAMABAD, June 30: The Pakistan People's Party (PPP) has taken serious notice of the alleged interference of an intelligence agency in the political affairs of the country and harassment of party candidates for the October general election.

A PPP spokesman, in a statement issued here on Sunday, alleged that some officials of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) were visiting the applicants of party tickets and were trying to stop them from freely contesting the polls.

He said an ISI colonel had contacted PPP candidates in Sahiwal and had asked them to leave the party and join one of five parties - Pakistan Muslim League (QA), Pakistan Tahreek-i-Insaaf, Millat Party, Pakistan Awami Tehreek and PPP (Ghinwa) - which, he added, were being promoted by the agency.

According to the spokesman, when the PPP applicants declined to change their loyalties, the colonel asked them to stay in the party, but "change the party leadership". Gen Zia was the first to give the slogan that PPP without Bhutto was acceptable. Moreover, he said, the colonel had asked the party applicants to provide him with their "full bio-data".

An ISI major was said to have been sent to Bahawalnagar to pressurise the party candidates. He asked them to provide him with their resumes and four photographs and change their loyalties.

In Faisalabad, an Intelligence Bureau official was deputed to approach the PPP ticket-holders.

He asked them to change their loyalties, but the candidates showed courage, integrity and honesty of purpose and rejected his offer.

In Vehari, the ISI official visited the PPP ticket applicants and made attempts to persuade them to desert the party. The official, however, failed in his mission.

According to the spokesman, in Khairpur, another official of the agency threatened PPP workers during the recent referendum.

In Jacobabad, agency officials accompanied the Sindh administration officials to threaten the party candidates.

There are many other incidents of ISI and other agencies' interference in the local bodies elections, the referendum and the making and breaking of political parties.

He said the job of the armed forces was to defend the country, calling upon the army high command to stop the agency from interfering in the democratic process. He added that "the repeated army interference led to the humiliating debacle of Kargil, the transformation of Afghanistan's strategic depth into strategic threat, the massing of Indian forces on our borders and the secret deal on Kashmir about which the nation is still to be taken into confidence. The neglect of internal security led to the incidence of suicide bombings in the country as well as the attacks on mosques, doctors and minorities."

He said the party applicants showed courage and refused to bow before the illegal demands of the military officials.

The PPP called upon the armed forces to maintain its impartiality, saying that it considered the armed forces a part of the society.

The spokesman called upon the election commission, international community, superior judiciary, human rights groups, intellectuals and the free press to take note of the interference by military officials and to raise their voice against what they called "pre-election rigging".

The party called for a full inquiry into the actions of the ISI officials, and reaffirmed its belief that the ills of the country could be cured once civilian supremacy was restored. "This is not the job for which the ISI was formed or the army officials recruited or paid for by the state and the poor citizens", the spokesman said"

I wonder when Paki army would learn lesson. If this illegal political maneuvering by paki army is successful then failure of democracy would be responsibility of the political parties justifying another martial-law in the future. But then this is not something new. This curse on the political system in Pakistan is affective since 1947.

FARID--The Visionary

Yup. It's true.

Comment

ISI is not an Army based agency!

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
        ISI is not an Army based agency!
        Come on PT! Don't tell me that just because of the initials. Of course it is Army run!

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal:
          Come on PT! Don't tell me that just because of the initials. Of course it is Army run!
          Well, it's up to you whatever you say so.

I don't care!

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
            Well, it's up to you whatever you say so.

I don't care!
            Exactly! You won't believe the truth, just what you want.

Glad you admitted it!

Comment

Exactly! You won't believe the truth, just what you want.

Glad you admitted it!
              where did I admit that ?

Consider your previous post again

Come on PT! Don't tell me that just because of the initials.
              Word of a mouth for my believe!

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Comment

Farid, unfortunately most of you are saying appears to be true. From all what I have been reading in the Pakistani press and analysis indicate that the Fix by the Army is on. Initially, it seems that there is no alternative to Musharaff and the army. On reflection though, I think it is likely going to be catastrophic for Pakistan if this intended fix succeeds. That is just my opinion and guess. The army really should ban whoever they want to ban from contesting the elections, hold the elections, let the NA elect the President and withdraw to the Barraks. The chances of this happening are nil. From all accounts the next Prime Minister has already been selected, and to acheive a pliable and compliant NA corruption is being encouraged at various levels. It is very sad to see all this, because it has been done in the past with disastrous results.
                I think BB will return to Pakistan before the elections, and she will most likely be put into jail, and PPP is likely going to emerge as the single largest Party after the elections. It will challange the Army, and likely lose with most of the politicians behind bars. Net result: zero credibility for the Army, real democracy down the drain, and the threat from the extreme religious Mullha party gaining real strength. I pray that I am wrong and just giving into pessimism.

Comment

OldLahori- i agree with you.

PT- for someone to actually say ISI is not Army based, well, I really don't think I need to expand on that.

Either you deliberetly are not saying it, or, no offense, you just don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

PT- for someone to actually say ISI is not Army based, well, I really don't think I need to expand on that.

Either you deliberetly are not saying it, or, no offense, you just don't know what you're talking about.

Take a deep look at your own words

Come on PT! Don't tell me that just because of the initials.

Comment

BB should first return to Pak with the billion dollar loot stashed away in swiss accounts....

Comment

PPP and its wadera class is argubaly the most corrupt segment of Pakistan, but even they cannot compete with the moral corruptness of the Army and ISI who have always run the show in Pakistan.

Comment

Yes, that would certainly be nice if BB did return the loot. I guess with Zardari being held without any law supporting the detention for 6 to 7 years, and the invisible accountability drive forgotten, the chances of that happening are remote. However, Zardari's sister is now Nazim and more likely than not Zardari will run from the jail and get elected. It appears that the Army is not gaining any credibility as the time passes, and from the Pakistani Press and columnists it seems as if PPP is gaining strength. Am I reading the news and comments in the press wrong?

Comment

If after all this she still wants to be the PM then she is shamless creature of the highest order and ppl of Pak are the morons of the fist degree.

http://www.indiaexpress.com/news/world/20010505-0.html

Bhutto's money in Swiss bank not to be given to them or Pak regime
                            16.41 IST 05th May 2001

Former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and her husband Asif Zardari's millions of dollars kept in Swiss bank accounts may not be returned to them or even handed over to the Gen. Pervez Musharraf's ''unrepresentative'' military government.

The Swiss Prosecutor General told the BBC Friday that the money would neither be given to Ms Bhutto and her husband nor to Pakistan government since it was not a representative or an elected government. Moreover, this regime had relations with Taliban in Afghanistan, which demolished the Buddha statues. He said he would therefore oppose transfer of this money to the Pakistan government.

The BBC Friday night said there were cases when the Swiss government had seized the money if it was found to be ill gotten, while in other cases, the money was used to pay off the debts of the country whose leader had stashed it away in Swiss bank accounts.

It is reported that Ms Bhutto and her husband had put about 1200 million dollar in Swiss bank accounts when she was the Prime Minister of Pakistan. In November 1996, her government was sacked by the then President Farooq Leghari on charges of corruption and inefficiency.

-UNI
                            http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/98/0918/feat7.html
                            BENAZIR BHUTTO ISN'T GOING quietly. The former Pakistan prime minister joined with opposition colleagues WALI KHAN and SARDAR ATAULLAH MENGAL to launch a campaign against Premier NAWAZ SHARIF's moves to "Islamicize" the government, raising doubts that Sharif will be able to get the two-thirds parliamentary majority he needs to make it happen. Bhutto's position is complicated by allegations of money laundering and bribery during her term as prime minister. Swiss judge DANIEL DEVAUD had declined to indict her in Switzerland, where she and her husband ASIF ALI ZARDARI had reportedly stashed much of their wealth. But he did provide Islamabad prosecutors with documents that his government had uncovered relating to her 1996 term in office. On Sept. 4, Bhutto filed an appeal in the Supreme Court to overturn a decision that allowed the government's investigation to continue.

Comment

PPP demands end to ISI's interference in politics

My Answer:
                              I demand on behalf of the people of Pakistan, end to PPP and similar dump parties from Pakistan.

------------------
                              End is Begining!
                              پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

Working...
                              X