Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Pakistan send '1000' students abroad each year for education?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Pakistan send '1000' students abroad each year for education?

The Malaysian government has a 2020 programme for the development of its coutry. One of the key targets they are trying to achieve is to send a 1000 students abroad each year in various diciplines and once these students achieve their graduation they are bound by a contract with the Malaysian government. The contract is such that upon their return to their homeland they must serve within any government department for a minimum period of 5 years after which they may leave and join the private sector if they please.

If any one has any thing positive or negative to say, I would like to hear.

------------------
    Shafiq

Turkish government has a similar plan where they pick the top students who have an interest in academia to go to US and get their PhD's and then to come and teach. I worked with a group of about 25-30 of such Turkish students since they were sent to Univ of Pennsylvania for ESL classes before they started their regular studies.

They had a certain passion of helping their country and being a force in development. If we can find people who have such commitment and will not "slip" once they are abroad, why not. It will be a win-win-win situation, for the students, for the country and for the academia back home in general.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Mr. Fraudia agreed 100% but most Pakistanis are eager to open a "dukkan" (i.e. to get started on earnign quickly) so most of us start flocking to the glamour degrees (MBA, IT degrees etc etc). Here at UT there are only 2 other Pakistanis in the Natural Sciences I know of who are doing thier PhDs and already one of the guys is saying that his family is pressurizing him to stop the "parhai" and start the "kammai".

Comment

Muffakar

#1- glamour degrees as you put it are needed desperately by Pakistani businesses. I have worked in Pakistan and know how much of a mess it is there. In terms of general Business processes and governance as well as IT enablement we are way behind.

#2- Need to provide for the family is also an important issue for people. If you had family responsibilities would you rather continue with a PhD or would you try and start supporting them as soon as possible. I can see a person bearing the opportunity cost of foregoing a career right after undergrad or masters in order to continue towards a PhD, but in some cases we are asking teh family to bear this opportunity cost too by foregoing the income support they could get.

So what is the answer, only send people who dont have to worry about family commitments and responsibilities? would we then be really sending our brightest for these advanced degrees? or do we establish some program where the family is somehow supported while the student is doing his PhD. I dont know the answer.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

How about sending university lecturers abroad to get ‘em trained up…..hey a wacky way-out there idea, just tell me to shut up. What Pakistan needs is better educators, they have the talent for learning but sadly not for teaching.

Comment

I do remember reading sometime ago (years) that Pakistan had carefully selected and sent some civilian officers for further studies, and the programme failed because the overwhelming majority of the candidates 'disappeared' into the western countries they had been sent for further education. So the programme is going to need to be thought out carefully.

Comment

They should send as many people abroad as possible. The only problem is that once these people have their degrees, they will not want to come back.
              The govt HAS to make sure it can provide these people with jobs.
              Also, even if the govt cannot give these people the jobs they need, they should still make sure these people return to the country, assuming its the govt which is paying for their education....

Comment

I like your comments.

Yes I agree there is the possibility of the Dukkan, the forget going back and the safarashi lot that get through.

Well there is no short and simple answer to this all. It is not a small committment. We are talking about approx. £200 million a year. The governnment has to set very strickt rules and guidlines which will force these youngsters from absconding.

The selection process is another issue. I would like to hear from anyone whom knows how the issue of safarish will be dealt with. My opinion is to allow the country taking on these students to screen candidates and have a system in place which will filter those that can pay for their education abroad to be rejected.

Comment

ITs not a problem of students or education.

Pakistan has 100s of thousands of educated people yes some bad but many good also.

Unfortunatly the investment in projects and infrastructure is no where to be seen.

That is why you have people educated in business or science doing hard labour jobs. I don't belive it is matter of education at all it is to do with investment and development. At the moment pakistan is like one giant administration department filling form after form.

So sending 1000 or 2000 students abroad is fine but what will they come back to there is nothing happening in terms of investment,projects or development.

You must be dynamic always investing creating new ideas, business etc if this not happening then country will become static. And the government of pakistan is not being dynamic at all one reason of many is the IMF, world bank restrictions i.e they telling pakistan what they can and can't do!

Comment

Originally posted by Thap:
                    How about sending university lecturers abroad to get ‘em trained up…..hey a wacky way-out there idea, just tell me to shut up. What Pakistan needs is better educators, they have the talent for learning but sadly not for teaching.

this is already in practice and a fixed number of teachers from universities across pakistan are sent abroad to uk, and other universites on scholoships. and I know many of them who went there and came back and stayed in the same job.
                    we need to create jobs for people comming back to pak.

------------------
                    End is Begining!
                    پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

Working...
                    X