So much powers for president!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much powers for president!

Commenting on the proposed constitutional amendments, Sach expresses its reservations about the suggestions to empower the president to dissolve the National Assembly and the government, to dismiss the prime minister and to appoint provincial governors in consultation with the premier. The daily also objects to reducing the term of parliament to four years and to the establishment of the National Security Council and opines that the amendments will turn the Senate into an advisory body while giving a bigger role to the council.

It says a glance at the package of amendments shows that powers have been showered on the president but elected the prime minister has been meted out a niggardly treatment. According to the proposed amendments, the president can select any member of the National Assembly as prime minister and can also have the discretionary authority to dismiss the prime minister and his/her cabinet. On the other hand, the procedure to remove the president has been made more difficult. The package includes no mechanism to make him accountable or monitor the decisions made by him. Thus, under the constitutional package, there is no balance between the powers enjoyed by the two offices.

The government has sought public views on the proposed amendments before it goes to the cabinet for their approval. It will be better the proposals are revised in the light of the objections being raised against them.

Kawish writes that the Bhurban conference, which was convened on the direction of President Gen Pervez Musharraf to evolve a consensus on the inter-provincial water dispute, called it a day without approving a final draft. During the two-day meeting held in camera, Punjab and Sindh remained stuck to their respective positions on such controversial issues as the construction of the greater Thal canal and the Kalabagh dam. However, the conference did manage to evolve a consensus on the water distribution according to the 1991 accord, on conducting a study on water release downstream Kotri and on determining water availability before taking any project of water reservoir.

The decisions, though commendable, are not new as they were made long ago through a consensus and were provided legal protection by the water accord. However, the problems lie not in the decision-making but in their implementation, which has always been avoided by Punjab and its supporters at Islamabad. Therefore, keeping in view the outcome of the Bhurban conference, it is requested of both of them to pay heed to Sindh's frantic cries over water deprivation and to pave the way for implementation of crucial decisions.

Tameer-i-Sindh writes that the Sindh budget for 2002-2003 can be termed the best and exemplary one among those presented in a decade as under it neither any new tax is levied nor the rate of the existing ones is increased. Besides, after deficit budgets of the last several years, this time Rs93.7 million is shown as surplus while, according to the finance minister, the allocation of Rs14.48 billion for the development sector is the biggest share the field has ever received in the province.

However, a measly Rs1.6 billion has been earmarked for the education sector, and Rs6.21 billion for the police department. Although the law and order situation in urban and rural areas of Sindh calls for more expenditure on the police, any spending made on them is nothing but unproductive. On the other hand, education which holds a ray of hope not only for our present but also for the future deserves maximum budgetary allocation. The present Sindh government, like its predecessors, has offered the smallest segment of the budgetary allocation to this sector, which is only regrettable.

Deploring the recent tribal bloodshed in Lakhi Ghulam Shah, which claimed 10 lives, Ibrat says the local police, as usual, have not been able to control the volatile situation. In areas where bloody clashes, kidnapping for ransom and other crimes are the order of the day, the police have just failed to make their presence felt.

However, it is very encouraging that the Sindh government has taken notice of the Lakhi carnage and sent the home secretary to the area, to persuade the chiefs of the Maher and Jatoi tribes to reconcile at a jirga called on July 11. With the tribal elders, the police should also be able to prevent any further tribal clash and curb lawlessness.

Stay within the limits as a member and leave moderation duties with moderators.

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited July 03, 2002).]

Comment

coolflame , did you write this?

To the issue of all the powers Mush is proposing to provide to the President, all I can say is that its a fuzzy issue.

One voice in my brain says that he's doing it for the betterment of society, and that drastic conditions call for drastic measures. The so-called democracies of the past have wreaked havoc on society, and it does make sense to lessen the power of prime minister, as seen by the outright abuse of the position.

But the other voice in my head says that transferring power from one area to the other wont help, because after Mush, a badmaash may take his position, and abuse these powers more than the PM's position was abused.

And yes, I have voices in my head.

As to the sindh vs. punjab issue on water, I dont know too much info on it to make any good comments, but I can say this much -- the two provinces really need to stop being selfish and equally divide the water. Its not fair that sindh has been deprived of water (if sindh's claims are legitimate).

And the fact that the two provinces have not come to a compromise is just ridiculous -- everyone expects the govt to take care of the issue and what pple dont realize is that both sides need to work out the issue between themselves, and this requires compromise. Its been 50 years, and its time to grow up.

I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Mush seems to have to operate from one exigency to yet another exigency. Hence his wanting to and apparently successfully, cornering the market on all forms of political, governance and military powers. This may make his life simple for a few days but one day in the very near future Pakistan will look back upon this as the turning point where the dictator Mush eliminated the leader Mush once and for all. This by far is the worst act from Mush.

Comment

Oh what, I can't ask him if he wrote this?

Comment

Working...
          X