Karachi, the queen of the east

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karachi, the queen of the east

We had discussion going about best cities in Asia and no doubt Islamabad is rated as one of the best. I have been to Islamabad and it is indeed comparable to average western city in US or Europe. But there is a reason for it, Islamabad is new and quite expensive not for an average Pakistani. Its population is about half million so its not polluted.

BUT

Karachi has its own charm I was born in Karachi I would pick Karachi over Islamabad any time. Its seashore, its buildings, the variety of food, the great Tariq road, the celebration of life are a few attributes associated with Karachi. Yes Karachi is the queen of the east.

Just like Islamabad is the federal capital Karachi is the business capital and I would not mix the two.

Some background on the queen of the east. http://yangtze.cs.uiuc.edu/~jamali/s...ry/node14.html

I was also born in Karachi... The city is very different from my where I live, i.e. Islamabad/Rawalpindi and is much more lively... It is the city of our beloved Quiad-e-Azam and the economic strength of our county citywise. Its often said here, if you cant find a particular thing here, go ask someone to get it from Karachi.

It was very sad what the terror attacks during the last ten years have done to this country. Though they have receded, but they have not ended. Let us pray that they end completely as every resident of Karachi has seen more than enough...

Karachi -> The city of lights...

Comment

Yes Karachi the heart of Pakistan, when I was there last March I noticed pollution right away. If they can take care of the law and order and pollution I bet Karachi is not far behind Islamabad. It may even beat Islamabad..

Comment

because of mqm karachi is better city to day.
        their contribution made the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
          because of mqm karachi is better city to day.
          their contribution made the difference.
          Actually MQM gundas caused lot damage but now they are on the run. No more MQM batha collection. When BB unleashed Naserullah khan Babar they were all hunted down and killed except a few.
          MQM as a gunda party is over its all bark and no bite. RAW must be very disappointed.

Comment

i was just kidding.
            is it true karchi contributes 70% of the pakistan's revenue.

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited June 21, 2002).]

Comment

I'm sorry to say that most Americans associate Karachi with Beirut of 1980s. Sad, but true...

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB:
                I'm sorry to say that most Americans associate Karachi with Beirut of 1980s. Sad, but true...
                If Karachi is Beirut IOK must be Vietnam...

Comment

Karachi is no doubt the center of Pakistan. I absolutely love visiting there. When I go to Pakistan I usually take the flight to Karachi, stay there and enjoy the many attractions, malls and venues. I am amazed at the potential of industry when I visit Pakistans commercial capital..

Excellent job Abdali

No doubt Karachi is sensational.

------------------
                  The eyelids of a Rajputs eyes are lowered only in death.

Comment

I've been to Karachi only two times in my life for a total of 5 days. But for some reason I love the city to bits. There's a certain quality to the city that is hard to put a finger on. This must seem especially strange coming from a Sialkoti who spent most of his time in Pakistan either in Sialkot or Hasan Abdal. Insh'allah the MQM bast*rds will get what's coming for them and Karachi will be back as Pakistan's crown jewel.

Comment

Originally posted by sambrialian:
                      I've been to Karachi only two times in my life for a total of 5 days. But for some reason I love the city to bits. There's a certain quality to the city that is hard to put a finger on. This must seem especially strange coming from a Sialkoti who spent most of his time in Pakistan either in Sialkot or Hasan Abdal. Insh'allah the MQM bast*rds will get what's coming for them and Karachi will be back as Pakistan's crown jewel.
                      sambrialian,

I have seen Sialkot nice town, lot of home grwon industry of sports and surgical goods. I use to stay at Kotli Loharan and vist Head Marala. Huge dam and an excellent place to have fun. We use to suspend mangos in river Chanab to cool them and then enjoy latter.

Comment

I was born in Karachi, but dont remmber it.
                        I wanted to see it when I went last year, PIA gives everyone a free ticket to Karachi apparently, unfotunately I coul not use it since I only had three weeks.
                        I sorta get depressed reading about Karachi these days. The crime, the lack of basic utilities... I REALLY hope some competant leadership emerges which will return Karachi to her former glory...

Comment

No doubt Karachi was the Queen of Pakistan, but so sad that Queen have been brutalized and raped by every political and religious party.not to mention even MQM did the same.name any party doesn't matter where they are running for election they have to come Karachi and hold rally or election activites.its o.k thats their city too but problem is, they don't consider it their own city and part of this country. they wanna use it for their power or showdown and then toss is like worthless peice of Land.

God Bless Pakistan.

Comment

PIA gives everyone a free ticket to Karachi?!

Sounds like a good deal. What's the catch?

Man - In better times I'd like to go to Karachi. A restraunt in my town is run by a guy from Karachi. He makes sensational Bihari Kababs. He tells me that Karachi has some of the best kabab places.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                              sambrialian,

I have seen Sialkot nice town, lot of home grwon industry of sports and surgical goods. I use to stay at Kotli Loharan and vist Head Marala. Huge dam and an excellent place to have fun. We use to suspend mangos in river Chanab to cool them and then enjoy latter.
                              The road to Head Marala from Sialkot is pretty interesting as it takes you very close to the Indian territory... There is an unmarked border, and if you have a good guide, you can have a look at the fields which are actually in Indias side. I heard that cattle owned by farmers from either side stray onto the other side, but eventually come back. These days its highly unadvisable to goto Head Maralla because of the shelling going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X