Pakistan spends the lowest in its ENTIRE history for Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan spends the lowest in its ENTIRE history for Development

A meager 2.8% of GDP in 2002 is the lowest spending for development in the last 54 years says, former Finance Minister of Pakistan.

Source: http://www.dawn.com/2002/06/24/op.htm#2

Is that a good sign?

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited June 24, 2002).]

Glad you posted this. i mentioned it b4 when I said Mush wasn't developing the country.

Here are the facts again, can't argue with them.

Comment

BAD SIGN

[quote]The average GDP growth of 3.3 per cent per annum in the past three years is the lowest in 12 years.[quote]

Sanctions after conducting Nucelar Tests, which has now lifted up. BUT, during recent Terrorist Attack, market went down.

It was on average 4.6 per cent during the 1990s, with 7.7 per cent in 1991-92 and 6.5 per cent in 1995-96.
      Dang! How come we couldn't invest in I.T field then?

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited June 24, 2002).]

Comment

Just came to know about this.

June 24 Jang Editorial: Pakistan spends 0.8% of GDP on health far lower than anybody else in the region (which in itself is among the lowest in the world)

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

Where does the rest of the money go ?

How do we know any figures are accurate given the level of corruption that exists in the country ? It wouldn't suprise me if they just make the numbers up!

Farouq Taj

Comment

It was on average 4.6 per cent during the 1990s, with 7.7 per cent in 1991-92 and 6.5 per cent in 1995-96.

That is pretty spectacular I must say. What happened to all those resource generated?

Comment

Interestingly, 91-92 and 95-96 years fall on the corrupt rule of BB and NS.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi:
                Interestingly, 91-92 and 95-96 years fall on the corrupt rule of BB and NS.
                Spot on! We could invest in I.T field at that time.

By having 3.3 GDP, we are doing now. Too late but there is always good will behind it

Comment

Just curious what percentage of GDP is IT spending at this time?

Is IT spending classified as infrastructure or development?

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
                    Just came to know about this.

June 24 Jang Editorial: Pakistan spends 0.8% of GDP on health far lower than anybody else in the region (which in itself is among the lowest in the world)
                    Pakistan Exports Medicines Worth 111.5 Million Dollars in Current Financial Year
                    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...ent_448548.htm

To promote the exports of medicines, the government has createdan investment friendly environment and provided a congenial atmosphere for the industry to progress and prosper

Following is for spending low amount in health sector

The policies adopted by the ministry have resulted in the establishment of 30 new pharmaceutical units, the construction of another 53, an investment of over 6,000 million rupees (100 million dollars) in the industry and the registration of over 2,250 drugs, it added.

Continued expansion, modernization and grant of new licenses tothe industry have resulted in about 4,000 new job opportunities

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

Just curious what percentage of GDP is IT spending at this time?

Is IT spending classified as infrastructure or development?
                      Kumar, it hasn't been stated by the Govt. yet. My opinion about investment in I.T sector would be BASED on Privatization & Import Exports.

I.T sector started to grow during Mush Govt.

Just wait and watch

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

A meager 2.8% of GDP in 2002 is the lowest spending for development in the last 54 years says, former Finance Minister of Pakistan.

Source: http://www.dawn.com/2002/06/24/op.htm#2

Is that a good sign?

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited June 24, 2002).]
                        Why should Govt. spend Gdp when US Aid dept. is openeing their offices all over the country very soon.and they will be spending hundreds of millions on all kinda constructive projects.Once again sit back hold tight and stop jumping to conclusion.we should do what we supposed to do as a Pakistani individual and as nation.

Comment

Dude PT:

How is export of medicines related to spending on health? Please don't take no offence, do you really understand what is heealth spending or you blindly want to support Musharaff?

Comment

When you spend 90% of the budget on developing useless nukes and feeding well to huge army which is in fact social welfare system for Punjab, how the hell you spend on other productive projects like education and health.

The country whose survival is based on keeping happy Uncle Sam at any cost is a SLAVE COUNTRY. You should not expect any growth even in near future. The peanuts pointed out by our Mush campaigner, is one of few lucky in Pakistan who enjoy all the benefits of dictatorship and live lavishly. Why should they care for common people's sufferings?

When there would be general revolt against army, then eyes of few sleepers will open, but then at it would be too late.

Sincerely,
                            FARID—The Visionary

Comment

The gov't is looking for more longterm solution rather then short term... now... since our "democratically" elected leaders have increased the loans thereby the interest on those loans is eating up a considerable amount of our wealth... many of those development happened due to loans which of course were not utlilized properly.. as well during the last decade the accounts were fudged and we really fruFcTdon't know how much was actually being spent and how much was just a lie... going back to development.... most of the roads and other building which are being built at this moment in Pakistan were actually paid as far as 10 years ago.... but the contractors took the money and never did the work... but now they are being forced to do the work...so there is development going on but it just isn't showing up in the accounts....(prime example is the Ferozewala bridge, road and bypass)...and last thing regarding Mr. Farid argument that somehow it is a conspiracy of Punjab which is letting down other...what nonsense... there is huge development going on in Baluchinstan....and various other provinces including Sindh...incase you forgot to notice the chief of Army is not a Punjabi...

WHen there will be revolt against liers then there will be development...

Bhadsha--the visionary

Comment

Working...
                              X