Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan Tightens Control Over Madrassas

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?o...7200A0CC5EE46C

Pakistan's government is tightening control over Islamic seminaries in the country, barring them from receiving foreign financial aid and ordering them to register with authorities. Many of these religious institutions, also known as "madrassas," have produced Islamic militants, including many members of the Taleban movement in neighboring Afghanistan.

The Pakistani cabinet has approved Wednesday a decree, which will allow the Islamic madrassas to receive government funds only if they agree to teach modern subjects - including mathematics, science, English and Urdu - along with the religious curriculum.

The new decree, which part of the campaign against extremism by President Pervez Musharraf's government - prohibits madrassas from receiving donations or aid from any foreign source. It also bars them from admitting foreign students or appointing foreign teachers without the government's permission.

Speaking at a news conference, Information Minister Nisar Memon said the decision is part of Pakistan's efforts to root out religious extremism in the country. "In Pakistan as you know madrassas [Islamic seminaries] have been the place where lot of education has been imparted," he said. "But lately as you all know, they have been subjected to the militancy in some of the places. So we want to control this."

Mr. Memon says Madrassas refusing to register with special education boards in the country will not be allowed to operate. "Any madrassa which does not register itself, they will be disbanded," he said. "They will be closed immediately, they will not be allowed to re-establish themselves, there will be fines which will come on them for not have registered."

There are thousands of madrassas across Pakistan, which are run by private Islamic groups or religio-political parties. Islamic sects such as the majority Sunnis and minority Shiites have their own religious seminaries. They often give different interpretations of Islamic beliefs leading to sectarian violence in Pakistan.

Many of their Afghan students established the radical Taleban movement, in 1994, that ruled Afghanistan for six years. A large number of Pakistani and Arab students at these Madrassas joined the Taleban to fight against an opposition alliance based in Afghanistan.

Religious leaders who run Islamic seminaries in Pakistan are often accused of receiving donations from foreign Islamic governments or private organizations, without subjecting themselves to audit. But under the new law, every registered madrassa will have to maintain accounts and submit annual reports to authorities

ALLAH PROTECT PAKISTAN FROM HATE MONGERS

I believe it's a good step taken by the Pak Govt.

All the best

Thanks for sharing this article, P.T

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
      The Pakistani cabinet has approved Wednesday a decree, which will allow the Islamic madrassas to receive government funds only if they agree to teach modern subjects - including mathematics, science, English and Urdu - along with the religious curriculum.
      Religious tolerance should also be included as part of the curriculum.

Comment

No Help To Madaris Without Registration: Ordinance Okayed; NCC, Girls Guide Disbanded

http://www.dawn.com/2002/06/20/top6.htm

ISLAMABAD, June 19: The federal cabinet here on Wednesday approved the promulgation of "Madrassah Registration Ordinance 2002" to regulate religious schools by bringing them under normal educational system of the country.

According to the ordinance, Madaris will seek registration with "Pakistan Madrassah Education Board" and the respective Provincial Madrassah Education Boards. They have been prohibited from receiving Zakat, or financial assistance, grant, donation or other benefit from the federal government or provincial governments unless registered under the ordinance.

Minister for Information and Media Development Nisar Memon told reporters at a briefing that the ordinance would come into force immediately. "One of the objectives of introducing this regulatory mechanism is to control those religious schools which had been subjected to militancy," he added.

According to the ordinance, any one who wilfully contravenes any of the provisions of the ordinance will attract closure of the Madrassah or a fine, or both. [b]"The details of fine are being currently worked out," [/b Memon said.

Madaris refusing to register themselves with education boards to be set up by the government would not be allowed to operate, the minister said.

The cabinet meeting, which was presided over by President Gen Pervez Musharraf, also decided that religious schools would also facilitate teaching of science, mathematics, English and Urdu, providing an opportunity to the students to enrol in the professional educational institutions if they so wished.

Every registered Madrassah, according to the ordinance, will maintain accounts and submit annual report to the respective education board. A registered Madrassah will not receive any grant, donation or aid from any foreign sources or allow admission to foreign students or make appointment of teachers without valid visa and No Objection Certificate from the Interior Ministry.

The minister said that all the four governors who also attended the meeting, were asked to complete the process of registration in six months time.

The minister said he did not think that the government had chosen a path of confrontation with religious parties by seeking registration of religious schools. "In the first place, it is a hypothetical question whether there will be any confrontation, as the purpose is to bring religious schools in the mainstream," the minister said.

Responding to a question, Nisar Memon said he could not say about the exact number of Madaris. "But it seems that they run in thousands," he said, adding that it would take some time to know about the exact number of religious schools.

Asked whether these schools would be subject to certain audit and taxation, Nisar Memon said he had no idea about it, and that he would reply this question at some other time after getting details from the officials concerned.

In reply to a question, he said curriculum of religious schools would be like that of other educational institutions of the country.

CORPORATE FARMING: The cabinet also approved a package for corporate agriculture farming which would be governed by the Company Law. Only such local and foreign companies will be entitled to Corporate Agriculture Farming (CAF) that are locally incorporated under the Companies Ordinance, 1984.

According to the ordinance, there will be no upper ceiling on land holding for CAF which may be left to be determined by the prospective investor. The ordinance further stipulated that zero-rated duty would be charged on import of agriculture machinery and equipment.

The cabinet also approved an Ordinance for the National Commission for Human Development which will be an autonomous body of the Cabinet Division. The President of Pakistan will be its patron-in-chief. The commission will formulate, approve, manage, promote, enhance, implement, execute, monitor and organize its support programmes and projects for assistance of the ministries, departments and agencies concerned.

The commission will also keep informed the federal government and the respective provincial government for its programmes and projects being carried out by it in performance of its functions including global resource mobilization.

NCC DISBANDED: A decision was also taken by the cabinet to disband the National Cadet Corps (NCC) and Women Guards because it was felt that the scheme did not serve any useful purposes for which it was created.

The cabinet accorded its approval to promulgate the Safeguarding Ordinance, 2002, necessitated by gradual dismantling of trade barriers under the WTO regime to promote free trade and thereby increase the volume of global trade.

ACCORDS APPROVED: The cabinet also approved an agreement between Pakistan and Vietnam for establishment of Pakistan-Vietnam Joint Ministerial Commission, agreement between Pakistan and Uzbekistan on mutual assistance for the avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion including a convention with legal cooperation in civil and commercial matter to be signed between Tunisia and Pakistan. Treaty between the Russian Federation and Pakistan for mutual legal assistance and execution of letters of request and recognition and enforcement of judgments was also approved. The cabinet also ratified the consular agreement between Pakistan and Uzbekistan.

MAKE THE LAW STRICT

Comment

Its about time.
          Not surprisingly, the Jamaat Islamia and their cohorts are all fuming..

Comment

I still maintain that those mullahs who preach intolerance, anti-westernism, twist Islam for political gain etc...ought to be lined up against a wall and just shot.

But, this is a good step...I hope they can enforce it though.
            I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
              I still maintain that those mullahs who preach intolerance, anti-westernism, twist Islam for political gain etc...ought to be lined up against a wall and just shot.

But, this is a good step...I hope they can enforce it though.
              I agree, but how about trying to develop a norm where we don't rush to line people up and shoot. I know, I know not as much fun!

Comment

No no, I dont believe in shooting people as a norm, but these mullahs have ruined the country, hold the govt hostage to improvement.

They ought to really be shot.
                I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:

No no, I dont believe in shooting people as a norm, but these mullahs have ruined the country, hold the govt hostage to improvement.

They ought to really be shot.
                  Agree

Hope ths plan is fully implemented and not dropped a few months ater like so many.

Comment

Originally posted by An American Angel:
                    I believe it's a good step taken by the Pak Govt.
                    Sure, it is

All the best
                    Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this article, P.T
                    Welcomz

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Comment

Does this mean madrassas are not allowed to receive foreign funds also, particularly from fundamentally extreme regimes such as Sudi Arabia? That's necessary bacuse my understanding is that the extremist madrassas operated with those funds. Point is, if Pakistan govt stops funding but Saudi's run a telethon or write a check, what's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by ArjunMahavir:
                        Does this mean madrassas are not allowed to receive foreign funds also, particularly from fundamentally extreme regimes such as Sudi Arabia? That's necessary bacuse my understanding is that the extremist madrassas operated with those funds. Point is, if Pakistan govt stops funding but Saudi's run a telethon or write a check, what's the point?
                        I wish these Saudi groups were sending money to these madrassahs... Arjun, what you think does not go on in Madrassahs... The children are very poor and they dont even have chairs to sit on here... The terrorist training camps, they are completely different... The study of Quran/Hadith goes on in these madrassahs and they usually run on a viable basis, with the head asking for donations, which the ppl in the neighbourhood usually make... However, the fact still remains that the education in these madrassahs is very crude, and the way the Imaam etc teach children is deplorable... There have been cases on child molestations on the part of the Imam, and one such case took place in Zia-ul-Aloom Masjid Rawalpindi, so the authorities need to keep a check on these, even if they are not terrorist training camps like you say they are...

[This message has been edited by Spock (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                          I wish these Saudi groups were sending money to these madrassahs... Arjun, what you think does not go on in Madrassahs... The children are very poor and they dont even have chairs to sit on here... The terrorist training camps, they are completely different... The study of Quran/Hadith goes on in these madrassahs and they usually run on a viable basis, with the head asking for donations, which the ppl in the neighbourhood usually make... However, the fact still remains that the education in these madrassahs is very crude, and the way the Imaam etc teach children is deplorable... There have been cases on child molestations on the part of the Imam, and one such case took place in Zia-ul-Aloom Masjid Rawalpindi, so the authorities need to keep a check on these, even if they are not terrorist training camps like you say they are...

[This message has been edited by Spock (edited June 25, 2002).]
                          when you put it that way, my heart goes out for the kids cheated out of education. My impression has been that a large number of madrassas have been teaching fundamentalist agenda. Atleast a part of reasoning I have associated with the Pakistan India conflict has been an element of religious messaging in these schools. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Comment

Originally posted by ArjunMahavir:
                            when you put it that way, my heart goes out for the kids cheated out of education. My impression has been that a large number of madrassas have been teaching fundamentalist agenda. Atleast a part of reasoning I have associated with the Pakistan India conflict has been an element of religious messaging in these schools. I'd love to be wrong on this.
                            Im glad you understood my point, many ppl dont... What you are looking for, to root out terrorism, wont be really located at these madrassahs...

However if this madrassahs were transformed into greater learning centers, the concept would be very good and many poor children can achieve modern education without putting a burden on their family's budget...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                              Im glad you understood my point, many ppl dont... What you are looking for, to root out terrorism, wont be really located at these madrassahs...

However if this madrassahs were transformed into greater learning centers, the concept would be very good and many poor children can achieve modern education without putting a burden on their family's budget...

Spot on!

As Mush said so

Cut the damn root of Terrorism

Godwilling, we'll

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Comment

Working...
                              X