Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Court unfreezes Mansur's assets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Court unfreezes Mansur's assets

    http://www.dawn.com/2002/06/16/top19.htm

    "ISLAMABAD, June 15: An accountability court on Saturday unfroze the assets of the former naval chief Amiral (retd) Mansurul Haq when he deposited the full amount of US$7.5 million in the court.

    Admiral Haq's property, which was earlier attached because he had not deposited the entire amount, was unfrozen when the deputy prosecutor-general, Abdul Baseer Qureshi, confirmed the receipt of the full amount before the accountability court No 1.

    The prosecution did not oppose the admiral's application for unfreezing of his property.

    Admiral Haq has already been released by the accountability court after the acceptance of his plea-bargain application by the chairman, National Accountability Bureau (NAB).

    He was charged for receiving kickbacks, commissions, and bribe in defence deals.

    Barrister Aitzaz Ahsan, Iqtidar Hashmi, and Ms Sadia Abbasi represented Admiral Haq before the court."


    Can this be called as fair justice? Why this differentiation?

    FARID

    #2
    He deposited the full amount... Although he was a thief, there is no point in keeping him locked for the rest of his life if he has returned everything... He was handed over to Pak by the US authorities and he offerred full cooperation...

    As long as we get all the money back from him (which we have), he can do whatever the hell he wants... However, unjustly auctioning his property even if hes laid down the full amount would be a little cruel...

    If this gentlemen would have been dealt with a very strict and aggressive manner then the mushy haters, who are now crying over his release would have posted against the 'cruelty inflicted on him'

    [This message has been edited by Spock (edited June 16, 2002).]

    Comment


      #3
      This option of returning all the ill gotten money is available to all... many businessmen have also utilized this... my uncle in Lahore was set free after he paid back the money... soooo.... I don;t understand are you saying that military people are being let off.... I think its only fair if average businessmen are left then they should be as well... however I do hope that the gov't should have charged 5% interest on all these people...

      Comment


        #4
        exactly baadsha, the dictator regime is dealing with looters in a much more civilized manner, and now that they have done, the mushy haters on this forum are using it as an excuse for further bashing...

        Had he dealt with them in a very harsh manner, they would have been the first ones to come here and criticize...

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Spock:
          exactly baadsha, the dictator regime is dealing with looters in a much more civilized manner, and now that they have done, the mushy haters on this forum are using it as an excuse for further bashing...

          Had he dealt with them in a very harsh manner, they would have been the first ones to come here and criticize...
          I agree fully.

          ------------------
          I'll grant thee random access to my heart,
          Thou'lt tell me all the constants of thy love;
          And so we two shall all love's lemmas prove,
          And in our bound partition never part.

          --Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"
          I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

          Comment


            #6
            What nonsense. When Mush took over it was him who said he would deal with looters harshly. That is what Pakistan expected and wanted.

            Not only has it not happened, but the looting continues.

            Comment


              #7
              [QUOTE]Originally posted by Spock:
              He deposited the full amount... Although he was a thief, there is no point in keeping him locked for the rest of his life if he has returned everything

              He's returned everything?!! Spock, you should find out more about this case, he has kept many, many millions!

              Comment


                #8
                Please can someone state why is Zardari being kept behind bars for 6 (5?) years without being charged? What is really up with that? I do not know the intricasies of Pakistani politics, and I will appreciate if someone tells me what is the real reason behind keeping him locked up?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by OldLahori:
                  Please can someone state why is Zardari being kept behind bars for 6 (5?) years without being charged? What is really up with that? I do not know the intricasies of Pakistani politics, and I will appreciate if someone tells me what is the real reason behind keeping him locked up?

                  Because he refuses to 'make a deal' with Mush, like Sharif did. He said' try me in court if I'm guilty'. Army can't convict him so they are typically acting like Goondas and holding him as a bargaining chip aginst Benazir.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Zardari was responsible for so much money laundering, there is no denying that... Sadly there has been no recovery from him either... I admire Zardaris patience though, legally he should have been freed even though he was a guilty man...

                    RealDeal, the Government left no stones unturned to get Mansoor back from the US, and they made sure he paid the full amount. Being a military personnel, he knew what he could be subjected to had he not chosen repayment...

                    This government has been very wise... I use to curse Musharraf for not hanging Nawaz, but now I know why he didnt do that... People now would have generated sympathy for the takla man if he were hanged... He didnt make the mistakes the lunatic Zia made, but learnt from them...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Spock:
                      Zardari was responsible for so much money laundering, there is no denying that... Sadly there has been no recovery from him either... I admire Zardaris patience though, legally he should have been freed even though he was a guilty man...

                      ...
                      spock: what happens if PPP wins in October. Some of the American analysts are saying that is a distinct possibility.

                      [This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited June 17, 2002).]

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Spock:
                        Zardari was responsible for so much money laundering, there is no denying that... Sadly there has been no recovery from him either... I admire Zardaris patience though, legally he should have been freed even though he was a guilty man...

                        RealDeal, the Government left no stones unturned to get Mansoor back from the US, and they made sure he paid the full amount. Being a military personnel, he knew what he could be subjected to had he not chosen repayment...

                        This government has been very wise... I use to curse Musharraf for not hanging Nawaz, but now I know why he didnt do that... People now would have generated sympathy for the takla man if he were hanged... He didnt make the mistakes the lunatic Zia made, but learnt from them...
                        again if you think Mansur paid back the full amount you really, really should look into the case.

                        Who said Mush should have hung NS? He should have put him in jai. No excuses for the govts lack desire to combat corruption and pursue accountability.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Had he not paid the full amount, he would never have been released... One of my relatives neigbhours in Karachi was also caught in some plot scam, and he was reported to have looted about Rs. 10 million. Trust me, despite all his sources, he was not released until he made the full payment, even though his family members used all the influential force they could, but didnt manage to get him out without a full payback. Some people here are saying that there ought to have been an interest, I agree with that, but usually its very hard to get money of looters let alone interest.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Spock:
                            Had he not paid the full amount, he would never have been released... One of my relatives neigbhours in Karachi was also caught in some plot scam, and he was reported to have looted about Rs. 10 million. Trust me, despite all his sources, he was not released until he made the full payment, even though his family members used all the influential force they could, but didnt manage to get him out without a full payback. Some people here are saying that there ought to have been an interest, I agree with that, but usually its very hard to get money of looters let alone interest.
                            Look, I'm not going to argue, you just don't know that FACTS in this case.

                            He has been released to live the rest of his life with his stolen millions. No use denying otherwise.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              RD all the news articles say he returned the full amount, so how do you know it was otherwise?

                              And to be honest, Masnoor is a lot better than Zardari, who has chosen to rot in jail rather than return the amount he looted... Now dont tell me he didnt loot any money...

                              [This message has been edited by Spock (edited June 18, 2002).]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X