Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MQM will contest election from other provinces beside Sindh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MQM will contest election from other provinces beside Sindh!

I just wish PPP and MQM can some how get rid of their corrup leaders. Than will have no problem voting for them.
    http://thefridaytimes.com/

In a move aimed at killing two birds with one stone, the ethnic party, Muttahida Qaumi Movement, has decided to field candidates throughout Pakistan.

The decision is meant to not only shed the ethnic image of the party as being the representative only of the Urdu-speaking Mohajir community based in urban Sindh but also to make a bid for the reserve seats (see Election Commission table).

MQM sources told TFT that lists are being prepared to field party candidates from the Punjab, especially the province’s southern Seraiki belt and certain constituencies in Balochistan and the North West Frontier Province.

The party’s deputy convener, Nasreen Jalil, told TFT the MQM would focus on lower Punjab and reach out to the oppressed people to empower them. “We will apprise them of Altaf Hussain’s message and the fact that the MQM stands for the masses’ rule, the 97 percent population of this country that has never governed itself,” she said.

Jalil said that besides Multan and Rahimyarkhan in southern Punjab, Sargodha and Rawalpindi in upper Punjab were also major towns for MQM’s election prospects in the upcoming elections. “It has become imperative for the party to reach out to the people of other provinces as well to enhance the image of the party from a regional group to a national mainstream power,” she said. It is interesting that the party should also aim for Sargodha and Rawalpindi, areas known for proving officers and jawans to the army.

Iftekhar Randhawa, MQM’s Coordination Committee member from the Punjab, has been tasked with organising the party in Punjab. MQM sources told TFT Randhawa is also tasked to organise the party in the NWFP and Balochistan.

Observers say more than its desire to shed the ethnic baggage, the main purpose of the party’s countrywide venture is to muster votes from all over so it could end up with the required 10 percent votes to become eligible for claiming the reserved and technocrats seats in the national assembly. The Conduct of General Elections Order, 2002 (Chief Executive’s Order No. 3 of 2002) has made it mandatory for any political party to bag at least 10 per cent of the vote cast to claim the reserved seats.

However, the order also says that if none of the parties or only one party captures 10 percent vote, then the requirement for the remaining parties would be lowered to 5 percent. Sources say the MQM sees its prospects in this provision. “While the PML-N has lost much of its original strength, it could get into an alliance with the PPP and together they could bag more than 10 percent seats. In that case, things would become difficult for us,” one MQM leader told TFT.

Meanwhile, after a long period of on-again, off-again relations between the MQM and the military government, the party’s rapport with the government has visibly improved in the last month or so. Party leaders openly admit the government’s assurance to the MQM that it would allow it to establish its offices across the province, wherever it wants.

About the MQM’s reservations over the Haqiqi faction’s domination in certain parts of Karachi, a former MQM MNA Kunwar Khalid Younus says, “It is imperative to eradicate all the no-go areas in Karachi and the rest of the country. We have been demanding of the government to cleanse Landhi, Korangi, Lines Area and parts of Liaquatabad and New Karachi etc so that our candidates could take part in the October elections without fear and a possible danger to their lives.”

Dr Farooq Sattar, another deputy convener of the MQM, told TFT there was no possibility of forming any electoral alliance with any other political party or alliance. “We have never experienced this and we have always succeeded on our own strength. We would continue to stick to that tradition,” he said.

However, he did not rule out a post-election alliance, incidentally, also an MQM tradition. “We have been forming coalition governments with the PPP, Jam Sadiq Ali and the PML-N in the past and if a favourable situation arises we would certainly think about it,” he said.

A number of meetings between leaders of the MQM and the Sindh Democratic Alliance, led by the bureaucrat-turned-politician, Imtiaz Shaikh, were held until recently but apparently the parties failed to work out a formula acceptable to both sides. SDA sources insist the two sides parted ways without any hard feelings. “The MQM has refused our proposal to form an electoral alliance in Sindh,” Murtaza Jatoi, SDA’s co-convener said. However, he said the deliberations had not ended. “We are still in contact and would like to work out some arrangement for seat adjustments in some constituencies of Sindh,” he said.

Meanwhile, the MQM leadership has formed two committees comprising five deputy conveners of the party’s coordination committee that would prepare the party manifesto and also recommend party nominations for the elections for a final decision.

To a query, Dr Farooq Sattar disputed the election commission’s decision to nominate a single judge to decide objections on the delimitations. “The entire election commission should be involved in the process to avoid any possible rigging,” he told TFT.

All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

if altaf hussain had not...started from the ethnic issues...in which thousands have been killed...he surely had the capabilities to become a popular leader...but now it seems he has missed the bus...

[This message has been edited by zaavia (edited June 18, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by zaavia:
      if altaf hussain had not...started from the ethnic issues...in which thousands have been killed...he surely had the capabilities to become a popular leader...but now it seems he has missed the bus...
      Agreed. But there are alot of Mohajirs I know personally, who don't support MQM at all. Not everyone is EVIL as many of us think.

LIVE & LET LIVE

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited June 18, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by zaavia:

[This message has been edited by zaavia (edited June 18, 2002).]

Don't know how that would be as MQM is based on ethincity. They won't be able to succeed anywhere where Mohajrs don't live. Expecially as they are an anti-Pakisatn party.

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal:
          Expecially as they are an anti-Pakisatn party.
          Anit Pakistan party How so?

LIVE & LET LIVE

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
            Anit Pakistan party How so?

LIVE & LET LIVE
            I'm surprised you don;t know. In their rallies, such as the last one they had in Nishter PArk durng the referendum they chant 'azadi!' 'azadi!'.

Much of their weapons,money and support is provided by India because they cause a lot of damage to Karachi and Pak.

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal:
              I'm surprised you don;t know. In their rallies, such as the last one they had in Nishter PArk durng the referendum they chant 'azadi!' 'azadi!'.
              Never heard of that before. When Musharraf came to Jinnah Ground for Referrendum rally, they were chantting ALTAF BHAI ALTAF BHAI

Much of their weapons,money and support is provided by India because they cause a lot of damage to Karachi and Pak.
              RealDeal do you have source of it?

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited June 18, 2002).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
                [b] RealDeal do you have source of it?

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

This was in many artciles I read when they had their rally. Obviously I am not going to go back and try to find ariticles that are months old. It is your choice whetehr to believe me, however I find it hard to believe you don't know.

As for the source, not only is it well known in Karachi, but I have met MQM people who have talked about their training in India.
                Also Agencies have released proof in the past, and b4 you ask, no I 'm not going to spend hours trying to find it.

Comment

Everyone who lives in Karachi knows that or at least suspects MQM of being Indian promoted.

If they really had Pakistan at their heart, they would not have contributed into turning Karachi - at one time the most progressive industrial center in Pakistan - into a blood bath.

I sincerely hope they lose.
                  I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Working...
                  X