India's Top Problem: Vajpayee: TIME Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India's Top Problem: Vajpayee: TIME Magazine

This is got to be the ultimate insult to India. TIME Magazine, of one the most well-known magazines in the world, has a story about how Vajpayee is a problem for India and a threat to world peace.

He drank heavily in his prime and still enjoys a nightly whiskey or two at 74. India's leader takes painkillers for his knees (which were replaced due to arthritis) and has trouble with his bladder, liver and his one remaining kidney. A taste for fried food and fatty sweets plays havoc with his cholesterol. He takes a three-hour snooze every afternoon on doctor's orders and is given to interminable silences, indecipherable ramblings and, not infrequently, falling asleep in meetings.

Atal Behari Vajpayee, then, would be an unusual candidate to control a nuclear arsenal.
    Like the popular saying goes, "I like apple pie. I like peach pie. But I dont like vaj pie. Read the aritcle, go to http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazi...260747,00.html .

My view is that Vajpaiee is the ultimate evidence for the theory of reverse evolution. Figures. What else can TIME say about a man whose intellect is rivaled only by garden tools.

[This message has been edited by king_sal (edited June 15, 2002).]

But he has patience that never runs out.
    It did ran out once recently but quickely came back.

Comment

All that is probably true. He can also write poetry, make the dictator across the border eat his words every other day, affect the fate of ISI more than anyone within Pakistan can, survive and hold to a flimsy majority through unparalleled politicking and show the envious neighbor what some real personal integrity can do.

I don't want to make a huge hero out of ABV but wanted to counter the bumbler you guys try to make him out to be. In that department your man has the corner.

Comment

Did you guys read the following paragraph from the article?

Tellingly, Vajpayee was forced to give up his moderate stance and attend to his party in response to a domestic disaster, not an international crisis. On Feb. 27, a group of Muslims firebombed a train in the western state of Gujarat murdering 58 Hindus. The reprisals against Muslims in Gujarat were fierce, unpoliced, and went on for weeks, killing some 2,000 according to human rights groups. (The official death toll, widely disbelieved, is half this.) On April 4, Vajpayee reacted with revulsion, urging Hindu rioters to rediscover "a sense of unity and brotherhood." Asked the published poet: "Burning alive men, women and children? Are we human or not? Or has a demon taken over us?" His office briefed newspapers on the likely candidates to replace Gujarat state leader Narendra Modi, a member of the BJP who was accused of complicity in the violence, or at least, ineptness in containing it. But scarcely a week later, on April 12, Vajpayee changed his tune. Nothing more was said about sacking Modi. And speaking to an audience in Goa, Vajpayee shocked the country by declaring: "These days militancy in the name of Islam leaves no room for tolerance. Wherever such Muslims live, they tend not to live in coexistence ... they want to spread their faith by resorting to terror and threats."
        Oh Dear Indian Secularity!

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Comment

I have heard worse things said about "militant Muslims" in this board as well as by Mush and gang themselves. so why the feigned bristling?

if your point is that the bjp coalition govt has parts in it that profess religious majority rights, sure there are.

but I do think Modi should have quit or sacked.

Comment

So far Vajoo has been a lot of hot air baloon like his famous words of decisive war.. huh!!!!! Better for the old fart to step down and let some big mouth Advani run the show lets see unlike vajoo if Advano will make good on his threats

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited June 15, 2002).]

Comment

He sounds like an Indian version of Reagan! Except Reagan used to take his naps in meetings and the government ran better!

[This message has been edited by Ohioguy (edited June 15, 2002).]
              Boycott Venezuelas State owned Citgo.

Buy Royal Dutch Shell gasoline!

Comment

Regan was a tough cowboy with the fastest gun in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                  So far Vajoo has been a lot of hot air baloon like his famous words of decisive war.. huh!!!!! Better for the old fart to step down and let some big mouth Advani run the show lets see unlike vajoo if Advano will make good on his threats

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited June 15, 2002).]
                  au contraire ABV I think has fought quite a decisive battle. those mere words where what brought the general out of his shell and start esposuing mal-formed nuclear strategy. that in turn set of the chain reaction (pun intended) still being felt from POK right down to Karachi.

ABV wanted c.b.terrorism stopped - now Pakistan troops are trying their darndest to do just that.

ABV did not want Amrican or international meddling re Kashmir - there ain't any.

ABV said Pakistani govt should have terror infrastructure in POK destroyed - Mush ahs ordered just that.

What is not decisive about all this?

If your point is that Indian army hasn't marched into Pakistan, well there's an obvious reason for that namely, to avoid nuclear war. There again ABV scored by doing the right thing. Two unintended bonus of this whole thing for ABV are 1. his coalition govt which was shaky after Godhra has become somewhat solid again and 2. Musharraf has been shown up as a downsized dictator instead of the fearless leader he was beginning to be made out!

Ultimately did all this victory benefit India - in the very short term YES. long term? don't know.

[This message has been edited by ArjunMahavir (edited June 15, 2002).]

Comment

ArjunMahavir Try to beat my logic

Pakistan doesn't trust Indian Intelligence ..RAW

India doesn't trust Pakistani Intelligence..ISI

Pakistan calls for International Media to reduce tension.

India denies it every time.

See, what am I getting at it?

KASHMIR...A DISPUTED TERRIRTORY. NOT INDIA'S INTEGRAL PART ACCORDING TO THE U.N RESOLUTIONS. PERIOD!

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Comment

Originally posted by ArjunMahavir:
                      au contraire ABV I think has fought quite a decisive battle. those mere words where what brought the general out of his shell and start esposuing mal-formed nuclear strategy. that in turn set of the chain reaction (pun intended) still being felt from POK right down to Karachi.

ABV wanted c.b.terrorism stopped - now Pakistan troops are trying their darndest to do just that.

ABV did not want Amrican or international meddling re Kashmir - there ain't any.

ABV said Pakistani govt should have terror infrastructure in POK destroyed - Mush ahs ordered just that.

What is not decisive about all this?

If your point is that Indian army hasn't marched into Pakistan, well there's an obvious reason for that namely, to avoid nuclear war. There again ABV scored by doing the right thing. Two unintended bonus of this whole thing for ABV are 1. his coalition govt which was shaky after Godhra has become somewhat solid again and 2. Musharraf has been shown up as a downsized dictator instead of the fearless leader he was beginning to be made out!

Ultimately did all this victory benefit India - in the very short term YES. long term? don't know.

[This message has been edited by ArjunMahavir (edited June 15, 2002).]
                      lets start from the very basics and see what vajoo has achieved apart from collecting frequent flyer miles all the way to Washington for his sidekicks.

Key vajoos demands.

1) Hand over 20 Indian terrorist.
                      2) Stop cross border spanking...

Now I am sure you know the story of those 20 Indians unless in Indian deluded minds they were handed over.
                      As for cross border spanking there was an attack on puppet Abdullahs miserable life yesterday.. hello I thought vajoo said just one more attack just one more.... yeah sure one more it will be.

This is the exact repeat of 87 nothing changed then and nothing will change now unless the core issues is addressed, you can draw your conclusions... Other than that its a vijay.....

Comment

hehe did you read what it says, Vajpayee often falls asleep during meetings, hehehe...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                          hehe did you read what it says, Vajpayee often falls asleep during meetings, hehehe...
                          leave me alone go talk to crackpot advano....

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                            that's normally a reflection on the speaker. Ofcourse most speeches are boring anyway.

Comment

Abdali wrote: "Now I am sure you know the story of those 20 Indians unless in Indian deluded minds they were handed over.
                              As for cross border spanking there was an attack on puppet Abdullahs miserable life yesterday.. hello I thought vajoo said just one more attack just one more.... yeah sure one more it will be."

Lesson #1 in Dealing with dictators 101:if you want someone killed just ask for them. the dictator will have them killed for you because all dictators are paranoid and they don't know if the subject is a double or triple agent. US and India have used this tactic repeatedly and succesfully. Mushy came close to admitting this in public in the Sheik case (the guy involved in Pearle murder, supposedly working for ISI, supposedly working for some militant extremist group, but really a British citizen...the famous line about how he'll hang himself before handing him over)

Lesson #2 on Dealing with Dictators 101:give them a lot of word sops. lots of praises in the public. Combine this with open public unminced dictates "do this or else" and "oh by the way you're doing a great job". You really want me to give you examples?

Guys, you're being fed the banana republic treatment and you're falling for it hook line and stinker. Your objects of affection ought to be Mushy and his press corp brigade (which has replaced his erstwhile sewer rat c.b.t brigade)...not ABV.

Comment

Working...
                              X